Runs real rough (when cold only) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Runs real rough (when cold only)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-27-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
chim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Runs real rough (when cold only)

My 95 4-banger (MPI) runs very rough until the engine comes up to the point that the thermostat opens, then it runs perfectly.

Until the engine gets heated up, it runs rough and stalls very easily. Most times it will keep running at a stop sign. Unless I carefully "play" the throttle to get the revs up a bit, it stalls out when I try to pull away.

When I accelerate it begins to miss badly when the revs get to about where I shift.

Strange thing is that after the stat opens, it runs like a Swiss watch - it will let me pull out from a stop with the engine at idle speed, and there's not even a hint of a misfire.

I removed and cleaned the throttle body and replaced the idle air control valve actuator, but it didn't help. Any ideas? Thanks..............chim

chim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2007, 08:31 PM   #2
Jeepinjon
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Have you swapped out the thermostat? You keep mentioning it...why not try that?
Jeepinjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2007, 09:16 PM   #3
Brown Dog
Vendor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Have you checked the codes? Not all codes illuminate the check engine light.

I am thinking that MAP sensor, and/or TPS (a faulty TPS does light the check engine light).

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2007, 08:14 AM   #4
chim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, that will give me something to check. The stat was replaced ~ 2000 miles ago.

I mentioned it because the engine changes the way it runs at the point that the stat opens. You can see the temp gage peak and then drop off a few degrees. At that point, the engine runs smooth.................chim
chim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
Tre3
1997 ZJ 

i have the same exact problem, i just cleaned the throttle body 2 days ago and it didn't change anything, and im starting to get worried with how easily it seems to almost stall. did you find out the problem or does anyone know if its related to the transmission? only happens it the cold i noitced it started at about 40 degrees or colder. ( just bought the jeep last summer so i dont know whats all been replaced)
Tre3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
MaddBones702
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you have a cto valve that would be worth verifying that the lines are all connected beginning to end.
Unread 02-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
Tre3
1997 ZJ 

were would it be located? and how would i check to make sure everything is working? sorry im still new to trying to work on it
Unread 02-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
Tre3
1997 ZJ 

on a side note im leaking transmission coolant i was told, could that be any connection?
Unread 02-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

None of the above make much sense to me. When its cold the engine runs on the coolant temp sensor and the TPS, not much else. When it switches into closed loop, then it listens to the O2 sensor and all the other stuff. Closed loop happens somewhere around 185 deg F. So I would test the coolant temp sensor and maybe the wiring to/from that first. Its the temp sensor in the thermostat housing - since you replaced the t-stat, I would double check the wiring and connections to that sensor first. If thats OK, then the sensor itself should read about 185 ohms at 210 F.

Hope that makes sense and helps!
yjgaugespecs.jpg  
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I had the identical issue, its your crankposition sensor. Mine would run awful till it warmed up but eventually it got to the point that even when warmed up it missed, idled crazy and stalled. I replaced almost all the sensors, cleaned the throttle body and even changed the ignition coil...but after all those attempts to fix it came out to be the crank position sensor. Trust me on this, I just went through this. Good Luck

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.