Runs like on 3 cyl, help if you can. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Runs like on 3 cyl, help if you can.

Rugged Ridge 07-14 JK Sherpa Roof Rack available @ Oconee Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 08-30-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
a8ball
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Runs like on 3 cyl, help if you can.

So here is the situation. I have an 89 wrangler with 4.2 and its manual. Was having some backfiring issues last year and then she finally died one night. Turns out there was some sensor, computer issues that was messing the carb up. So I replaced the complete exhaust ( cats were destroyed), replaced the carb with a weber 36, did a nutter and removed all the smog stuff. Ran beautiful for months. Then one day I come out of work and it runs like its on 3 cyl, will barely move on its own power and shakes horrible. Didn't have time to work on for for a while but would start it up now and then with same result. One day a couple months ago I started and it ran fine. Wife and I took it around the block a few times with no problem. Parked it started it severl times since with same rough runnin issue. Does it sound like something in the ignition? Maybe the ICM? Thinking of putting a D.U.I on it if it seems to be ignition related but the the reason I am leaning to that is that the one day it ran fine. Any thoughts or suggestions?

a8ball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
seeker160
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Just my quick input. I had a very similar sounding problem and couldn't figure it out for over a 3 weeks even with a friend of mine whose a mechanic coming over 2 or 3 days a week to test it. I had done no engine work recently and had just got done replacing both fenders. Some how sitting in my garage for a week while i was doing body work one of the valves broke so only three cylinders fired. We found that if you pulled the fuel injector wiring one at a time you could figure out which cylinder isn't firing really easily and also by swapping a known good with another one you can see if it the wiring or cylindar and testing the bad one(if any) on a known good cylinder you can really narrow it down
seeker160 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the interrmittant issues are difficult to track down. Its either fuel, spark, or timing. You have a new coil and with the nutter you've eliminated most of the vacuum issues. A HEI setup makes sense and getting rid of the ignition module all together. Those things were a PIA. If nothing else it will not be wasted. The HEI will make it more reliable too.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

When I was helping my buddy get his '81 CJ-7 going we had a similar situation with his 4.2L 258. We put a Weber 36 like you did and it would idle great, especially after we grounded everything properly but it didn't have any power at all once you put it in gear and tried to go. Well we finally pulled the valve cover and found 4 bent push rods. We replaced those and then it popped really bad. Then we replaced the timing chain and it did the same thing. We finally replaced the cam and lifters and now it runs like a champ.

I would pull the valve cover and see what's going on in there.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
a8ball
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like it will be a nice weekend so I will tear into it and check the stuff Seeker160 and Louei4 mentioned.

Que89YJ, I agree that it certainly wont hurt to go with the HEI anyway. Looks like its worked out well from a lot of posts I have seen.

Thanks again.
Unread 09-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8ball View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Looks like it will be a nice weekend so I will tear into it and check the stuff Seeker160 and Louei4 mentioned.

Que89YJ, I agree that it certainly wont hurt to go with the HEI anyway. Looks like its worked out well from a lot of posts I have seen.

Thanks again.
Let us know what you find.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #7
a8ball
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here is an update

So I went out weekend before last to tear into it. Before I started I just went over everything making sure all the vacuum lines looked good, all the linkage on the carb is moving freely and all the plug wires are on tight. Then I fired it up to verify that is was still running bad. Fired up and idled smooth as could be.

Took it for a ride for about 10 minutes with no problems, ran great. When I was on my way back I was slowing to stop at a stop sign when the break pedal gave and went to the floor. So I baby it home to check it out and find the steel brake line going from the master cylindar to the rear of the jeep had a bad rust spot under the jeep and blew a hole. So fixed the brakes this week and took it for a test drive last night.

Fired up and ran great again, got about 200 yards from my house and it started sputtering/misfiring again. I limped it back home shaking and sputtering at walking speed (as fast as it will move).

I dont even know where to look. I wonder if it has something to do with the carb. Would an accelerator pump do this? I re-checked and I have a the Weber 34 DGEC. Or does it sound like something in the distributor? How can I verify since both would be expensive to swap just to test?

Any help is greatly appriciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.