Running trail lights off of Kayak Rack? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Running trail lights off of Kayak Rack?

Iron Rock Offroad products - get them from Kolak!WIN a Rough Country Forged Track Bar - ExtremeTerrain!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-21-2016, 04:09 PM   #1
1YJ_1life
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Running trail lights off of Kayak Rack?

I searched around the internet for picture of lights hanging off of the kayak rack, I think it's the safari something or other company, but couldn't find anything.

I've seen pictures of dedicated light bars with 4-5 KC style trail lights on them, but they are only a single tube surrounding the windshield. I assume I could do something similar, sort of a jerry-rig, but if anyone has done this before, could you send a picture or advice?

1YJ_1life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2016, 04:12 PM   #2
1YJ_1life
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here's the rack
img_0670.jpg

1YJ_1life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2016, 07:37 AM   #3
bruinjeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I do not see why not, but it shouldn't be in the way of where your Kayak would sit (obviously). You have a number of different ways of accomplishing this. How many lights were looking to install?

You could simply drill an appropriate sized hole through the tubing (this course is dependent on how thick the walls of the tubing are). If you some means of fabrication, you could weld some pre-drilled tabs onto it at your desired location and mount the lights that way. I tell ya this however, those lights are going to sit REAL high.

Have you just thought about getting a low profile LED light bar? They can be had pretty cheap these days on amazon or fleabay and would sit perfectly underneath the point where your Kayak would protrude from the front of your rack. Again, if you have the means to fabricate, you could incorporate the mounting for the light bar in between the tubing that runs up on either side of your windshield.

(my .02? I would start with some bumper mounted lights. Much easier for your position. two on the outer ends and grab a cheapo raised bar/brush guard and mount another two close by each other on that directly in the middle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.