Running Rich and Barely Any Vacuum... Bad Sensor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Running Rich and Barely Any Vacuum... Bad Sensor?

Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention seahawks fans!!! Want to save some $$$ ??!!

Unread 12-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
scott45217
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Running Rich and Barely Any Vacuum... Bad Sensor?

Hey y'all, looking for some help to a complicated problem

Recently me and a friend discovered where the downpipe connects to the manifold the flange was half connected because one of the bolts fell out, reconnected it and everything seemed ok

2 days later, the cat was glowing red and broke, clogging the exhaust. Replaced o2 sensor, cat and muffler hoping to remedy the problem. Fast forward to now, haven't driven in a week because car idles anywhere around or below 1000, exhaust fumes smell insanely rich, new cat glows red after 5 minutes of idle, and vacuum pressure hangs around 5-10, any help would be appreciated. Thank you

scott45217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Spitballing here but did you reset the computer after changing o2 sensor?? Don't know if that would cause your problem but it would at least let computer start fresh without old, bad, information and learned program....

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
scott45217
1990 YJ Wrangler 

No i haven't reset the computer, but it couldn't hurt. How do you reset it?
scott45217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
1320yj

You have a bad vacuum leak that is why the cat is glowing red and it is running rich because of lack of vacuum to the MAP sensor.
Unread 12-25-2014, 08:32 PM   #5
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I was assuming he got massive leak in exhaust fixed and things were in order, vacuum leaks fixed, when I suggested resetting computer....

If I recall correctly, you disconnect battery and touch pos and neg together then reconnect to reset but someone please correct me if I am wrong....

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2014, 09:13 AM   #6
BrutalTim
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I always reset the computer by disconnecting the battery, then turning the ignition switch on for a few seconds. I suppose touching the disconnected battery terminals together would do the same thing (I will have to try this next time).
BrutalTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.