Running rich after O2 sensor change - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Running rich after O2 sensor change

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #91
Bad_Dog
2013 JK Wrangler 

Reset computer: Engine idles fine. First few trips - and this does involve the engine getting up to temp, stopping and cooling down and then starting back up again - the engine idles fine and throws no codes. Then I'll start it up and it'll idle rough. When it does that, I check and it's now throwing code 52. It doesn't take weeks, just me driving it about three round trips to work, or so.

But you're right, it doesn't make sense that I can drive a handful of trips and it idles fine (and there's no gas smell). And then boom, idles rough, gives 52, and I smell gas when I get out of the Jeep.

Unread 11-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #92
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Dog View Post
Reset computer: Engine idles fine. First few trips - and this does involve the engine getting up to temp, stopping and cooling down and then starting back up again - the engine idles fine and throws no codes. Then I'll start it up and it'll idle rough. When it does that, I check and it's now throwing code 52. It doesn't take weeks, just me driving it about three round trips to work, or so.

But you're right, it doesn't make sense that I can drive a handful of trips and it idles fine (and there's no gas smell). And then boom, idles rough, gives 52, and I smell gas when I get out of the Jeep.
I wonder if the MAP sensor is the cause of your problem? When it is running good is fully warmed up and the codes are cleared pull the vacuum line off of the MAP sensor and see what happens as far as idle is concerned and what code it throws. I do beleive that a MAP sensor malfunction can trigger a code 52 and casue a rich fuel mix to happen.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #93
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

OK, just some more reading...on your thread. SDGBASSE in post 43 layed out what you need to do to test the MAP sensor.

If the MAP sensor checks out go back through the postings here in and re-read everything QUE89YJ wrote. This man knows his YJ's!

My only thought is if it is fuel related and mechanical in nature like a pinched return fuel line, why doesn't it happen as soon as you go into closed loop mode when the engine heats up the first time?

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 11-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #94
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You either have a fuel pressure issue which you eliminated with the presssure readings or a bad injector. Sorry it took so long to get back. My car got hit and I had to piece it back together.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #95
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
You either have a fuel pressure issue which you eliminated with the presssure readings or a bad injector. Sorry it took so long to get back. My car got hit and I had to piece it back together.
This!

Get a fuel pressure gauge and read the pressure at idle, then shut off the motor, watch for pressure to leak down. There is a spec on exceptable leak down. I don't know it off hand. If you are above that threshold you either have fuel leaking back to the tank (bad regulator) or leaking injectors.

Sorry I do not know the spec on leak down nor fuel pressure. Should be in a haynes.

Generally the ECU wont throw a rich condition code until it has seen it x number of miles or start ups or hot cold cycles. Which is why it takes a few trips for the code to set.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-pissed-wife-747535/
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #96
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
My only thought is if it is fuel related and mechanical in nature like a pinched return fuel line, why doesn't it happen as soon as you go into closed loop mode when the engine heats up the first time?
In open loop the ECU ignores the O2 and is using a set table for fueling. It wont throw a code until it goes closed loop.

Mechanically the only reason he would be running rich is a leaking injector, or bad regulator allowing to much fuel pressure to the injectors.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747535
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #97
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yep that is exactly what I meant WHY J. The fuel pressure should be able to hold 20+ Psi for 20 minutes aftwer shutting it off. I am betting it doesnt.
Unread 11-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #98
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why J? View Post
In open loop the ECU ignores the O2 and is using a set table for fueling. It wont throw a code until it goes closed loop.

Mechanically the only reason he would be running rich is a leaking injector, or bad regulator allowing to much fuel pressure to the injectors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Yep that is exactly what I meant WHY J. The fuel pressure should be able to hold 20+ Psi for 20 minutes aftwer shutting it off. I am betting it doesnt.
How come this DTC does not set during the first open loop to closed loop cycle? Leaking injector or a bad fuel regulator problems do not come and go, right?

It would be nice for anyone to came up with the right answer. The OP just wants his YJ running right!

Unread 11-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #99
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do the bleed down test on the fuel pressure. I bet it's not going to hold pressure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.