Rumor control: Can Jeep dealers modify the computer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rumor control: Can Jeep dealers modify the computer?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 05-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Rumor control: Can Jeep dealers modify the computer?

Hi, I normally hang out over on the CJ side, but I have updated my 1983 CJ-7 with a number of YJ systems and parts so I occasionally come over here seeking information.

I replaced the head and carb setup on my CJ with the 4.0 head and MPFI setup from a 1991-1995 era YJ, and the computer came from a 1994 Grand Cherokee.

It works fine, but I have recently heard that Jeep dealers can do a "limited amount" of programming on these computers. So, naturally I'd like to find out:

1) True?

2) If so, is there any worthwhile benefit?

Thanks for any info y'all can provide.

YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The feeling I get everytime I go to the dealership for something is that they don't want anything to do with the Yj models anymore.
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

the yj computer can not be reprogrammed or reflashed if it be a dealer or a tuner. the chip that is in the computer is an eprom and located under the gel in the computer the chip requires the gel to be removes the chip to be un soldered and a new flasable chip soldered in. after that nobody has wrote the code to be-able to read the chip meaning that even if you put a new chip in you would not know what to put on it.

i have done a lot of research on the subject of tuning a yj or any obd 1 jeep
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

All we can do is upload new software onto the vehicle that we download from DealerConnect. The only things we can change is simple stuff like horn beep when doors lock. We can't just go in and change different tuning parameters.

Edit: And good luck finding a dealer that still has a working DRB2 with a Jeep adapter. You're best off going to a independent tuner.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i think you are talking about a tj the yjs the only thing the computer controls is the motor and cant be flashed

tuners cant tune a yj as the chip cant be read
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

100% No. I did a lot of testing with the OBDI in development. It is not flashable, that being said there are other options you can use to trick it into thinking differently. Wideband O2 sensors, adjustable map sensors, and even relocating the crank sensor to change advance and allow for bigger cams. The question is at that point why would you. There are other options available and unless you are stroking a 4.0L it is a waste of money and effort. You would be fiurther ahead getting a 350 with the effort you would need to use to do any of the serious tuning.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The dealership said they could rework my YJ into a JK for about $400 a month.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35, Rock sliders, Monsta Daughter&Dad Project Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 Rock-Trac D44/44 lockers, 4" Currie Lift, 1" BL, 33s, hardtop
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

There are people/companies that have hacked the SBECII ecm and made it tuneable, however its mainly on other mopar cars. There was a guy at one time working on a jeep specific definition for the bin on the chip (that has to be dug out of the gel, de-soldered from the board, then read. However I think they lost interest in it.
If interested, you might try contacting these guys and see if they have any suggestions.
http://www.boostbutton.com/catalog/

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

sbec 2 had a sci line and was designed to be flashed. sbec 1 was not. if you have heard of anything to modify it I would like to know how.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.