Rumbling noise from back of Jeep - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-16-2010, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Cards89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Rumbling noise from back of Jeep

I just changed out from mud tires to all terrain tires. I can now hear a lot better in the Jeep. I am now hearing a "rumbling" noise from under the rear of the Jeep on deceleration. It may be happening at other times, but I can hear it at deceleration. The "rumbling" noise sounds kind of like the brakes possibly would rubbing on the drums, but I am not applying the brakes when I hear it. It also sounds like a dry bearing possibly would.

Anyone have any suggestions.

Driveshaft?
Rear axle differential?
Universal joints?
Brakes?
Bearing?

Normal?

Also as part of this question, how much oil should be in the rear differential. I wanted to check it to make sure it wasn't dry, so when I removed the plug oil just poured out. I let it drain out to the bottom of the plug hole. Is that how much should be in there?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-16-2010, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Cards89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

bump
10 char...
post #3 of 12 Old 02-17-2010, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Cards89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have any ideas?

post #4 of 12 Old 02-17-2010, 08:51 AM
Elsahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards89YJ View Post
Does anyone have any ideas?

maybe you take your rear tires off and open your drums, see if you got a lil grid on your shoes? from mudding the slit and sand made mine sound like i had bad shoes even when i wasnt braking...idk cant hurt to look
post #5 of 12 Old 02-17-2010, 08:52 AM
86YJSEANVA
1986 YJ Wrangler 

the fluid in the difefrential should be at the bottom of the fill plug hole. (haynes manuel)

rugginTJ01;9379588]yeah, driving a happy meal on wheels during crazy wind is so much fun :laugh
talentjeep;8785973] I'll go ahead and add cardboard to my regular maintenance regimen. Originally Posted by Diamond-x Didn't the 'check shock' light come on?
post #6 of 12 Old 02-17-2010, 10:58 AM
YJ-Jer
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Check your drive shaft u-joints. It is common for them to make a vibration like that on deceleration when they get worn.

-Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown
"You know you drive a YJ when you run over a shadow and feel the steering wheel jerk."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-17-2010, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Cards89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When you say check them, what do I need to do? I have grabbed the drive shaft and I don't seem to have any slack in it. I have a lift on my Jeep, but if you look at the picture in the link, you will see that I don't really have a bad angle where I think vibration would be caused and need an SYE.

The ujoints are greaseable. Do you think maybe they just need that?

DSC_5220 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
post #8 of 12 Old 02-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Maxdaddy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Mine does that..not sayin its the same problem but..a piece of metal broke off in my rear diff and kinda scratched up some of the gears. Its fine i cleaned it out, but now it just makes that noise all the time. has for about 2 years..just waiting to do an 8.8 swap.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-17-2010, 11:23 AM
YJ-Jer
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If it were me, I'd remove the driveshaft and move the u-joints by hand. You should be able to tell if they are real loose or do not move smoothly. sometimes it is hard to tell on the jeep since the trans and diff have some play in them. only 4 bolts to take out. Just put a pan under the tail shaft or take it out with the jeep facing nose down in the driveway.

-Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown
"You know you drive a YJ when you run over a shadow and feel the steering wheel jerk."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-17-2010, 09:25 PM
dcmielec
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Also might wanna maintenance your differentials. Exactly how much oil poured out? If those axles have spent any time underwater, you may have alot of water in there that'll cause some premature wear/noises.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-17-2010, 09:50 PM
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would say driveshaft universals too. Heck just pull out the driveshaft and change them. They are not that exspensive and easy to change.
If that is not the problem then you can move on.
When I had a add a leaf I had the rumbling sound too. I had to go to a drop transfercase kit.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-17-2010, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Cards89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think I have a transfer case drop kit. I have 1" spacer at the 6 bolts that hold on the skid plate below the transmission and transfer case.
My Ujoints are greaseable. Should I try that first?
I do have a very small leak at the seal where the driveshaft slips into the transfer case? Could there be something in there that would rumble?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.