Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Tire Carrier Mount???

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  MattGATRTJ 
#1 ·
I have 1 94 YJ with 33 X 12.5 X 15 KM2's. Anyone have any experience mounting the spare to a heavier gage mounting bracket like these:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12212_1010_07.htm

I have a good rear bumper, and no reason to spend $500 or more on a new swing out carrier, so price wise, this would be great for me, but if they are not very durable, I would hate to throw the money away. Thanks for the input.

#2 ·
I have heard nothing but bad things about this carrier. I almost pulled the trigger on it myself but decided to go with a more solid setup. I just went with a crown auto. Bumper/carrier for $340. On the other hand From what I have read there are better options then the rugged ridge without going to a swing out.

#3 ·
The main issue with the tailgate spare tire carrier is the hinges. The smaller ones that came on most YJ's will wear with the added weight. You may be able to get away with the beefier hinges on '95 YJ's and TJ's. I just did the swap myself because I needed a new tailgate. I had to drill some new holes in the tube but the bigger hinge covers up the old one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.