rubicon transfercase in my yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rubicon transfercase in my yj

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 04-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

rubicon transfercase in my yj

i know ive seen posts on putting a rubi 4-1 case in a yj but i couldnt find any when i searched. is it possible? i have a ax15 tranny and 231 now. and 6 cylinder 4.0

red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
cheapjeep71
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah it's possible. A friend of mine put one in his girlfriend's 95 along with the D44 Rubi axles. She has the AX-15 & had no problem bolting it up. She now has a YJ Rubicon sleeper. They even have the lockers front & rear. It is cool.
cheapjeep71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

so the have the same spline count, thats good to know. i thought there might be a problem with the output flanges and my drive shafts but that would be not to big of a deal. the speedo sensor might be a problem as well. but if it will bolt up to my ax15 then i can deal with the rest. thanks. anyone else with input would be great.
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see

Last edited by bigsquat; 04-17-2010 at 05:51 PM..
Unread 04-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Bob, I believe it's a straight bolt on deal, it already has a flange so no need for a SYE and you get the 4 low gearing. I'm not sure about the speed sensor thing though, as when I considered this swap it wasn't an issue for me with the 4.2.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks tim, i was just going to pm you about it. i thought you might know
Unread 05-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i bought the rubi 241or transfer case. its 23 spline like my 231. it comes with a 1330 cv yoke on the front. my front is a non cv 1310 . the back of the rubi case hase a flange . to make it work with my drive shafts i have to buy a front non cv yoke with 32 splines and the first 3/8" of the splines machined out or called counter bore. and ill need a different seal than the stock front rubi uses. the back seal should be ok. on the back i need to out in a 1310 cv yoke in and it has to have the same spline count and counter bore like the front. the guy gave me his linkage so ill just use it instead of modifying mine. there is a switch on the tc that tells you when you are in 4x4. i wont be needing that. the yj has on e on the vac disco housing already.

im still trying to find a good diagram to kook the wires up on the speed sensor. i thought i had hit paydirt but the colors are diferent than the one in the diagram.

my question is : will i need a body lift to put the bigger t case in?
transfercase-rear-yoke.jpg   transfercase.jpg2.jpg   transfercase.jpg3.jpg   nv241orwiring.jpg  
Unread 05-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
my question is : will i need a body lift to put the bigger t case in?
Just install a tcase lowering kit. .....

Here's some info:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/r...nto-yj-240140/

http://forum.neow.net/index.php?show...&#entry1322446
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #8
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

the rubi speed sensor wires are, red , black, brown.
rubi-transfer-case-002.jpg   rubi-transfer-case-004.jpg   rubi-transfer-case-006.jpg   transfercase2.jpg  
Unread 05-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #9
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks joe, those links are for an automatic. i couldnt find much on an ax15 having a seal extention. it seems that people just plug the weep hole and use silicone between the mating surfaces. if the tranny leaks it can only fill the void between the cases and then its good to go. not the best case but doable. im not into having a custom seal extension made. i did send a message to tera flex about this and we will see. i think ill contact novak as well.
Unread 05-01-2010, 10:28 PM   #10
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd bet JB Conversions could answer a bunch of your questions too.
Unread 05-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #11
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

yea , ive been on there site to look at there yokes. there kinda pricey but they have a good selection of yokes for just about any application. i went ahead and sent them an email to them . thanks
Unread 05-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #12
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yea, I noticed the automatic thing, but I thought maybe some of that info could be applied or good to know.

Perhaps Tom Woods carries the yoke you're looking for.
Unread 05-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #13
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, BTW, you are gunna LOVE having deeper tcase gears.

You'll be close to 63:1 after the swap.
Unread 05-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #14
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i found theb yokes at coast driveline and gear in ventura ca. the guys name is bill and he knows his stuff. he has a lot of knowlege and the best prices. the front requires a different seal and he was happy to find one that would match the tc and new yoke combo. he also will counter bore the front yoke to fit properly.

i cant wait to get this thing in!
Unread 05-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #15
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You actually talked to someone at 9 pm on a Saturday???? Holy schnikies that IS great customer service.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.