rubicon air locker? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rubicon air locker?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
PatrickMintun
1990 YJ Wrangler 

rubicon air locker?

will the air locker from a rubicon d44 rear fit a xj 44 housing? I bought a d44 from a 89xj and want to build it for my yj. I found a air locker from a rubicon rear for a good price but will it work he says it just the carrer what else will I need to buy? I already have on board air on the jeep.

PatrickMintun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
Bigboyky
1995 YJ Wrangler 

somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the rubi's had electric lockers....
Bigboyky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
Goobersbro

i always heard they had air but i think they have electric becauce to make them work you press the switch and then for the rear you press the switch twice and then to disengage i think you lift it back i think.... and this would lead me to believe they are electric because air lockers have there own switch for fron and rear i dont think they share one but what do know
Unread 01-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
jaminb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i think some years had air lockers, then the swithced to electric at some point.
jaminb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I thought they had electric also, because air lockers=OBA, which I don't believe they have.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #6
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i found this article talking about testing the first rubi's and it appears to have an air locker, http://www.rockcrawler.com/reviews/j...ions/index.asp
and here is an add selling one, http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/pts/1007647804.html
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #7
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I believe the TJ Rubis had air lockers. When they went to the JKs they went to electric.
No clue if they would work on a xj 44 though. I would think they would.
Unread 01-26-2009, 10:08 PM   #8
PatrickMintun
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the add

Thats the locker I was thinking of buying but I dont know if it will in fact fit and what I will beed to buy to use it. I live in portland so he is close to me can anyone tell me for sure?
PatrickMintun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
nomad_aviator

the rubicon lockers are electrically activated and air activated. Your electric power will turn the air compressor on and the air engages your locker. I believe the PSI is somewhere in the range on 5 -6 PSI. The air pump is located on the rear of the transfer case skid or the drivers side. This is the setup on my '03, i am not sure if they moved anything in the later years. I hope this helps.

... The air lines tend to crack and disconnect themselves at the diff housing so just keep an eye on them when it starts to age.
Unread 06-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

why would you go out of your way to install a rubicon locker in your jeep as they are prone to failure?
spend the extra couple of bucks on an ARB, like the person you are getting the rubicon locker likely did

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_aviator View Post
the rubicon lockers are electrically activated and air activated. Your electric power will turn the air compressor on and the air engages your locker. I believe the PSI is somewhere in the range on 5 -6 PSI. The air pump is located on the rear of the transfer case skid or the drivers side. This is the setup on my '03, i am not sure if they moved anything in the later years. I hope this helps.

... The air lines tend to crack and disconnect themselves at the diff housing so just keep an eye on them when it starts to age.
where were you 5 months ago?
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.