Rubbing Noise from engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubbing Noise from engine

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 08-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
ghetdjc320
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Rubbing Noise from engine

Have what sounds like a rubbing noise coming from somewhere around my valve cover. Its almost unnoticeable until the engine warms up but even then it's not to severe. Doesn't sound very harsh either. I initially suspected something on the belt drive but I can feel the rubbing on the valve cover. Could this be a cracked exhaust manifold? I have a stroked 4.0 but it has an original exhaust manifold. Haven't noticed any loss of power either.

Unread 08-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Possible timing chain you think? I know you hear it on the valve cover, but that thing is a big bell and you hear just about everything up there, so it might be misleading. The timing chain can rub the cover when the plastic guide wears out or the chain gets loose. Just an idea.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 10:17 PM   #3
ghetdjc320
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The thing is that the noise pulses along with the engine. It's not a constant rubbing noise. Good idea though!
Unread 08-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I would be looking close at the bottom pulley and harmonic balancer for the slightest wobble. It also has a rubber insert that starts coming out when it is failing, but either way can cause a rubbing noise.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 02:14 PM   #5
ghetdjc320
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The harmonic balancer looks good. It's also new with less than 5k on stand it the locked kind that doesn't have the rubber insert. What about a rocker arm rubbing on the valve cover oil baffle?
Unread 08-29-2014, 07:44 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetdjc320 View Post
The harmonic balancer looks good. It's also new with less than 5k on stand it the locked kind that doesn't have the rubber insert. What about a rocker arm rubbing on the valve cover oil baffle?
Did you use a gasket on the valve cover? Have heard of some folks having issues with some engines by just using RTV. Not often though. If you have a rocker coming loose, it usually ticks before it falls off.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
ghetdjc320
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I used a permadry gasket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.