Rubber Hood Bumpers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubber Hood Bumpers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 12-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #1
punchesdfw
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Rubber Hood Bumpers

Does anybody have a diagram (with measurements)of where to drill the holes in my Rubber Hood Bumpers? The hood on my Daughter's YJ doesn't have bumpers.

punchesdfw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchesdfw View Post
Does anybody have a diagram (with measurements)of where to drill the holes in my Rubber Hood Bumpers? The hood on my Daughter's YJ doesn't have bumpers.
how often do you drop the windshield?
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2014, 08:28 PM   #3
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
how often do you drop the windshield?
That's funny, I lowered the CJ's quite often, even lowered the old FJ's but never in 22 years the YJ, even though it has all the hardware. I guess the roll bar spanner and rubber seals make it too much a pita.

I have nothing against a Prius, I just wish the drivers would peddle faster.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2014, 10:59 PM   #4
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

There are supposed to be rubber bumpers? Mines down all the time but I just have the 2 metal loop things.
Unread 12-18-2014, 11:10 PM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_chris View Post
There are supposed to be rubber bumpers? Mines down all the time but I just have the 2 metal loop things.
From what I understand that was just a late '95 thing, where they started using TJ parts.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2014, 12:00 AM   #6
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Windshield bumper measurements

On our 1991 YJ we have two U-style rubber coated windshield bumpers that look like this:

The overall layout looks like this:

From the hood hinge to the bumper its 4.5 inches:

From the hoods raiser "nose bump" edge to the bumper its about 2 inches:

If you are using the TJ style round rubber "pads" on my TJ they are configured like this:

From the front edge of the hinge to the center of the pad is 6.5 inches:

From the raised hood "nose" to the edge of the pad is about 2 inches (bad pic sorry)

If you have the center footmans loop on your hood, the round pad bumper is about 10.5 inches from the edge of the loop:

I hope this helps.
Unread 12-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
punchesdfw
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There we go! I Never lower the windshield, but I open the hood against the windshield all the time. Thanks Luuca, That's exactly what I needed. THANKS!
Unread 12-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #8
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think the difference in bumper height is that YJs have the wiper on the windshield frame, while TJs have them on the tub, below the fold line. The YJ needs the windshield up enough so the tips of the blades do not his the hood. It's needs less height on a TJ because of how the wipers fold.
Unread 12-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #9
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchesdfw
There we go! I Never lower the windshield, but I open the hood against the windshield all the time. Thanks Luuca, That's exactly what I needed. THANKS!
Opening the hood against the windshield does not involve the windshield bumpers on the hood. Where the hood touches the top of the windshield frame is about 8-10 inches from the front edge of the hood. If you are concerned about damaging the hood while you are working on the engine with the hood up, I use an old beach towel placed between the hood and the windshield.

Posted via my pretentious iPhone.
Unread 12-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #10
JonCorwin
1991 YJ Wrangler 

X2 on the bump stops only helping for folding the windshield down and not for opening the hood all the way. Only select YJs during the transition to TJs came with rubber bump stops, but those still perform the same function that our stops do.
JonCorwin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #11
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
I think the difference in bumper height is that YJs have the wiper on the windshield frame, while TJs have them on the tub, below the fold line. The YJ needs the windshield up enough so the tips of the blades do not his the hood. It's needs less height on a TJ because of how the wipers fold.
Excellent point to consider when you choose which style to install. Damn Don you're on fire recently. Loving the concise insights. Thanks

Unread Yesterday, 06:49 PM   #12
punchesdfw
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My Late '95 hood has no footman's loops at all. I'm currently using the "Towel" method. My hood hits the top of the windshield frame, but the wipers have nothing to do with it. My Daughter has it at school and does her own maintenance. I just want something a little more permanent than the towel. Thanks!
Unread Yesterday, 08:17 PM   #13
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchesdfw
My Late '95 hood has no footman's loops at all. I'm currently using the "Towel" method. My hood hits the top of the windshield frame, but the wipers have nothing to do with it. My Daughter has it at school and does her own maintenance. I just want something a little more permanent than the towel. Thanks!
The only thing you can do is either perma-mount some rubber bumpers where the hood contacts the top of the window frame when fully opened or use a towel. Drilling in holes to mount rubber bumpers may look odd and IMO is overkill.

I suggest not changing anything.

Unread Yesterday, 08:23 PM   #14
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

My Jeep is the deluxe version equipped with a seat, steering wheel and a PROP ROD that holds the hood in an upright position.

But what do I know?
Unread Yesterday, 08:29 PM   #15
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas
My Jeep is the deluxe version equipped with a seat, steering wheel and a PROP ROD that holds the hood in an upright position. But what do I know?
Show off. I'm sick of your holier than thou attitude Chris. Some of us can't afford to throw those mad stacks of hundos at our jeeps like you and have to settle for a towel - that we stole from some poor guy in the high school locker room 16 years ago (Brent if you are reading this, soory man)

Quit stepping on our home brew towel mods with your fancy a$$ prop rod idea. You want fancy? I'll play your game, I have a prop rod on my LJ that's attached to the HOOD brah. The HOOD. Not laying there all 1990s style like your POS prop rod. Yet, because I am so anti-establishment, I open my hood up all the way EVERY TIME brah. AND use a TOWEL

OP - please ignore Chris. His a fancy pants money mogul who thinks everyone can attain prop rod status on their jeeps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.