RPM's drop quickly between shifts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RPM's drop quickly between shifts?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 02-27-2005, 09:23 PM   #1
boomhower

RPM's drop quickly between shifts?

When I change gears on the road, the RPM's drop pretty quick (faster than normal) between shifts. What can I do to solve this problem? Was thinking it might be the TPS which might be causing my slight sputter. Will be replacing the TPS sometime soon. Hope it fixes the problem. Any other ideas?

Unread 02-27-2005, 09:29 PM   #2
OlllllllO Jeep1

Not sure but it sounds like your clutch is slipping.
OlllllllO Jeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2005, 09:36 PM   #3
JPH
1995 YJ Wrangler 

How does it idle, and does it drop faster than normal when you rev the engine without moving, or only when you are on the road and shifting gears?
Unread 02-27-2005, 09:41 PM   #4
boomhower

drops faster than normal without moving as well. idles a little bit low. sometimes it almost stalls but won't (thats after revving the engine up). i think it almost stalls due to the fact that the rpms drop so quickly, they just drop down to 0 and the engine would die.
Unread 02-27-2005, 10:08 PM   #5
JPH
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Troubleshoot a low idle and retarded timing. Look for vacuum leaks, (at gaskets and hoses), sensors, and maybe an idle adjustment on the linkage where it attaches to the throttle body looking thingy, (I think that is the technical term!), if you have MFI, or that is the throttle body if it is not MFI.
Unread 02-27-2005, 10:15 PM   #6
CanukYJ

It's probably crud caught in the throttle body plugging up the AIS motor and the bleed air hole which allows it to sustain idle and delay RPM drop. Get some -throttle body cleaner- and soak a bunch of it in there, then run the engine and while slightly reving it (enough to keep it moving, the cleaner will want to stall it) spray into the TB and the holes\galleys in it. That fixes alot of issues like this and it only takes 10mins, 3$, and if it doesn't work it didn't cost a ton and probably needed to be done anyways.

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.