RPM surge at idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RPM surge at idle

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 06-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
Cashcrazy

RPM surge at idle

1989 4.2, all stock. I have recently started to get a light RPM surge after the engine is warm at an idle. I am thinking this might be a vacuum line issue with the Carter. Does anyone know if there is a known area that will cause this? It will give me a starting place at least.

Cashcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
idaholtby
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashcrazy View Post
1989 4.2, all stock. I have recently started to get a light RPM surge after the engine is warm at an idle. I am thinking this might be a vacuum line issue with the Carter. Does anyone know if there is a known area that will cause this? It will give me a starting place at least.
Well, I am a MPFI guy, but seeing how none of the carbed owners have chimed in, (Shame on you all!)then perhaps this will help you....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/i...stops-1253726/
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

first before you touch anything, check for vacuum leaks. Not only the vac lines, but intake to carb mounting, intake to head mounting and EGR area. The long intake manifold can and will warp and the bolts work loose. The carb tends to loosten itself up every 18 months as does the EGR.

If you have NO vacuum leaks and your manifold vacuum is reading above 20",then look at the carb.

Go here and see if this is your problem:

http://www.jeeptech.com/engine/carter.html

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.