Royal purple ruined my tranny, so what damage? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Royal purple ruined my tranny, so what damage?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 05-17-2010, 06:29 AM   #46
icehead14
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome glad you got this fixed. I have been having the same problems with no clue how to fix it. I had a thread awhile ago about this and mentioned the pilot bushing but like said here no one thought that could be a problem.

Well glad you got it fixed and can't wait to fix mine. Guess my lift will have to wait a little while longer.

Btw did you grinding going into reverse go away as well?

icehead14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #47
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Glad you got her fixed and thanks for reporting back as to the cause. I never would have guessed the pilot bearing. Your issue seemed to be hydraulic related and your symptoms were identical to mine each time I suffered an hydraulic issue.
Icehead14... be aware that there is no synchro for reverse on these trannies. Most shift into a forward gear first before going into reverse to make this shift easier.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #48
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehead14 View Post
Btw did you grinding going into reverse go away as well?
yes it did go away, but as Idaholtby said, I usually have to throw it into 4rth before it will go fully in, but at least now I can get it into gear to do so.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #49
dropped74
1998 ZJ 

How often should you replace the oil in the tranny???? How many quarts will it hold???? Thanks in advance!!!
Unread 05-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #50
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropped74 View Post
How often should you replace the oil in the tranny???? How many quarts will it hold???? Thanks in advance!!!
Let me refer you to MeanMax's thread ... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...change-865520/
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #51
icehead14
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw View Post
yes it did go away, but as Idaholtby said, I usually have to throw it into 4rth before it will go fully in, but at least now I can get it into gear to do so.
Awesome thanks.
icehead14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #52
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Interesting, I'm about to do my AX15 swap and have been following this thread.

The package that the AA bushing comes in clearly states to "Soak the bushing in 10w40 motor oil over night prior to installation" on mine. I'll be sure to do so after your bad luck!

I'm almost ready to get this show on the road!

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #53
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
The package that the AA bushing comes in clearly states to "Soak the bushing in 10w40 motor oil over night prior to installation" on mine. I'll be sure to do so after your bad luck!
Mine said nothing about using multi-grade oil, it just said 20W-40W motor oil, so I went and got straight 30W

it amuses me though, because I had a shop install the AX15 the first time around, because I didn't have the means then to do it myself, and I ended up having to come back and redo it all anyway. They didn't even install my transfer case linkage right I wonder what the mechanic was doing when he was "reading" that card with the lubrication instructions.

now that I have a tranny jack, I'm kicking myself for not doing it myself back then
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.