Royal purple ruined my tranny, so what damage? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Royal purple ruined my tranny, so what damage?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 04-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #31
rcracer8
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i believe u bleed your style clutch with the set screw on top of slave cyl

Unread 04-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #32
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw View Post
the pressure feels normal, and consistent, I've never had the peddle drop.

I purchased them from Quadratec, so I'm not sure what brand they use, but I did have another "incident" today. I was at the hardware store and when I started the Jeep and went to put it into reverse, reverse gear started grinding and it wouldn't stop grinding until I moved the stick back into Nuetral, at that point I tried other forward gears and I was indeed locked out again (could not shift into any other gear).

I let the clutch out and tried it again about a minute later and it still would not go into gear, only once I tried a 3rd time did it finally go into gear.

I'm wondering if it is the pressure plate. When I had the transmission out, it did look fine, the fingers weren't bent and didn't appear worn, but I realize how looks can be deceiving

oh yea, that popping I described earlier was because the retainer clip was missing on the shift fork, I replaced that but it didn't solve the shifting issues, however my clutch is nice, quiet and smooth now
someone asked this earlier, but what happens if you pump the clutch when it won't go into gear?
Unread 04-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #33
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

pumping the clutch does nothing, I sit there and pump it over and over and over and it still won't go into gear until I force it with a ton of force.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #34
xdgt03
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think the clutch seems more like the problem and not the internals. If the oil was the problem you'd have grinding noises not just stubborn shifting.

BobIsTheOilGuy is a great site and has a lot of good info. However, I don't think I'd feel comfortable using GL5 in any brass component trans simply because of the potential ruining my trans. Even if it has been reformulated. It's a big cost to replace a trans especially with GL4 stuff every where. Not to mention 10w30 being spec'd for the AX's now.
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
2.5L
31x10.5x15 BFG MT
xdgt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #35
idaholtby
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you replaced the entire hydraulic system as stated with a "whole" prebleed unit, even though my gut still says this is an hydraulic issue, then perhaps then as you have suggested, there may be an issue with the friction plate(springs). I won't rule out that your new hydraulics are not the cause because I have experienced the same with out any external leakage. The pour quality build of Chinese parts these days allows for the hydraulic pressure to escape past the master cylinder piston internally. But because you state that all of these components were replaced and the symptoms are the same, then perhaps the friction plate could be the cause after all.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #36
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

now I'm just beyond lost, and close to selling this damn Jeep.

new clutch, new pressure plate, new throw out bearing, new master and slave cylinder, and I still cannot shift the POS. Its actually worse now that I've changed the clutch, it locks me out every time now instead of just after it is hot.

I'm wondering if the input shaft is the problem, for some reason the tranny keeps rotating after I push the clutch in, so I'm wondering if the input bearing is shot and the shaft is drooping perhaps? (although there was no play when I checked it).
Unread 05-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #37
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

well for anyone still curious (or having the same issue) the problem turned out to be the pilot bushing.

I'm not sure what lubrication the shop that installed the tranny used, but it was causing clutch drag. I installed a new bushing oiled correctly this time, and now my shifting is fixed.
Unread 05-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #38
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
well for anyone still curious (or having the same issue) the problem turned out to be the pilot bushing.

I'm not sure what lubrication the shop that installed the tranny used, but it was causing clutch drag. I installed a new bushing oiled correctly this time, and now my shifting is fixed.
Glad you got it figured out.
Unread 05-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #39
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

wow, thats great you fiqured it out. how did you come to that conclusion? i wouldnt have thought of that. i was thinking after reading your thread that it had something to do with the shifter itself. when i do my clutch ill make sure to change that pilot bushing. with all the possible causes posted im surprised these things work at all!

(edit) i do remember you saying that when the clutch was engaged the tranny would still turn, so i guess it gave you a clue
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #40
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
(edit) i do remember you saying that when the clutch was engaged the tranny would still turn, so i guess it gave you a clue
I can't take credit for being THAT good I called Advance Adapters and spoke with one of their techs, going through the symptoms and what was done. He then asked me about the pilot bushing and what lubrication was used on it.

When I had installed the new pressure plate, I had used....lithium grease on the pilot bushing (never done one before, so don't pile on top of me! ) I had used lithium grease because the grease that was in there when I popped it out was sticky and gummy, I figured it was grease, but it didn't occur to me then that was the issue, so I slathered more grease in there, and that only made the problem worse.

after we had our laugh on the phone, he sent me a new one and I soaked that in 30W motor oil overnight, problem solved.
Unread 05-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #41
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I can't take credit for being THAT good I called Advance Adapters and spoke with one of their techs, going through the symptoms and what was done. He then asked me about the pilot bushing and what lubrication was used on it.

When I had installed the new pressure plate, I had used....lithium grease on the pilot bushing (never done one before, so don't pile on top of me! ) I had used lithium grease because the grease that was in there when I popped it out was sticky and gummy, I figured it was grease, but it didn't occur to me then that was the issue, so I slathered more grease in there, and that only made the problem worse.

after we had our laugh on the phone, he sent me a new one and I soaked that in 30W motor oil overnight, problem solved.
man, that is a great explanation, thanks for sharing that info. Those folks at Advance are great, aren't they. I actually remember another thread where a guy mentioned what he had to soak his in overnight as well.
Unread 05-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #42
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

its amazing how a dab of grease can almost make you sell your jeep! whew ,that was a close one.... at least you should be trouble free for a long time with all the parts you changed, (yeah right)
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 04:04 PM   #43
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
its amazing how a dab of grease can almost make you sell your jeep! whew ,that was a close one.... at least you should be trouble free for a long time with all the parts you changed, (yeah right)
I wouldn't have actually sold it, I say that when I'm pissed at it, in hopes the Jeep fixes itself out of fear - that has yet to ever work though.
Unread 05-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #44
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

wow, never would have thought about the lube for the pilot bearing could cause shifting problems! good to know and glad you got it worked out

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 01:13 AM   #45
warrenpeace24
1999 WJ 

Same thing is happening to my jeep. I'll replace the pilot soon as possible.

Also just to clarify royal purple is a gl-5 but on the back of the bottle is says that it is okay for use with yellow metals, but I also bought a bottle of gl-5 from autozone, I don't remember the name, but it said not to use with yellow metals. I currently have Royal purple in mine and it seemed to make it better for awhile, but it needs to be fixed.
warrenpeace24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.