Royal purple ruined my tranny, so what damage? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Royal purple ruined my tranny, so what damage?

Disc Brake Kits from ECGSECGS JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear DiffGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

tranny shifting problems, tranny or clutch?

I ran Royal Purple Synchromax in my AX15 for 11,300 miles now (I bought this tranny brand new from Advance Adapters), and now I'm having problems getting it into gear sometimes.

I was recommended the oil by Napa, whom I asked "would it work in an Aisin transmission with brass synchros?" to which he replied "yes". Now I cannot shift it sometimes!

I changed the Royal Purple oil out with Pennzoil synchromesh and I was able to shift it perfectly fine for a few days before the problems came back again. What will happen is I will coast to a stop with the tranny in nuetral, and when the light turns green and I go to put it in 1st, it wont go into 1st at all, or any gear until I've wrestled with it. Eventually it will drop into 1st, then it will shift fine and smoothly for a little while until it acts up again.

now upon researching the oil, it is for use in trannies that require ATF spec oil so having essentially dumped ATF (thinner viscosity than 75w90) into my AX15, is there any damage it may have done? Is this a synchro problem or a clutch problem? and if tranny related, would just replacing the synchros do? or would there be more permanent damage to the gear sets or anything?

1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?

Last edited by trw; 03-30-2010 at 04:17 PM..
trw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
themonkeyman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The not getting into gear at a stop light almost sounds like it could be a clutch engagement issue. I'd start by putting in some Redline MT90, but I would also double check by giving the clutch a fresh bleed.

Might be worth having some of your used trans oil analyzed for brass content.
themonkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I use 10W-30 motor oil (about the same viscosity as 75W-90 gear oil, uses a different viscosity scale, so different numbers). It's obviously ok with brass, since our crank/rod bearings and valve guides don't fail.
Unread 03-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw View Post
I ran Royal Purple Synchromax in my AX15 for 11,300 miles now (I bought this tranny brand new from Advance Adapters), and now I'm having problems getting it into gear sometimes.

I was recommended the oil by Napa, whom I asked "would it work in an Aisin transmission with brass synchros?" to which he replied "yes". Now I cannot shift it sometimes!

I changed the Royal Purple oil out with Pennzoil synchromesh and I was able to shift it perfectly fine for a few days before the problems came back again. What will happen is I will coast to a stop with the tranny in nuetral, and when the light turns green and I go to put it in 1st, it wont go into 1st at all, or any gear until I've wrestled with it. Eventually it will drop into 1st, then it will shift fine and smoothly for a little while until it acts up again.

now upon researching the oil, it is for use in trannies that require ATF spec oil so having essentially dumped ATF (thinner viscosity than 75w90) into my AX15, is there any damage it may have done? Is this a synchro problem or a clutch problem? and if tranny related, would just replacing the synchros do? or would there be more permanent damage to the gear sets or anything?
I am not a transmission expert(I only play one on TV, lol) but I was just wondering if possibly you had a seal somewhere that might be leaking. I know it's new, but since you said it originally was fine and then when you changed the oil it was fine at first, just wondering if the fliuid level was low? Just thought I'd throw that out, probably not the case, but easy enough to check out.
Unread 03-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouse View Post
I am not a transmission expert(I only play one on TV, lol) but I was just wondering if possibly you had a seal somewhere that might be leaking. I know it's new, but since you said it originally was fine and then when you changed the oil it was fine at first, just wondering if the fliuid level was low? Just thought I'd throw that out, probably not the case, but easy enough to check out.
I actually had shifting problems before I did anything to the tranny, I changed the oil thinking it may be the oil causing my issues. I was having shifting problems on the Royal Purple oil and then had it come back a few days after putting Pennzoil Synchromesh in it.

I do have a leak at the Tcase where ATF is coming out (I use Mobil 1 ATF in that), but never had I been leaking tranny fluid.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Okay, just thought I'd throw it out there. Don and mean max are extremely helpful with drivetrain issues, they'll get ya straight!
Unread 03-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've been running royal purple syncromax for years now in my YJ w/o any problems at all Maybe your tranny was on the way out and the new fluid helped speed it up
Unread 03-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
gbeltran
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
I use 10W-30 motor oil (about the same viscosity as 75W-90 gear oil, uses a different viscosity scale, so different numbers). It's obviously ok with brass, since our crank/rod bearings and valve guides don't fail.
Just wondering where the brass is? I know they make bronze valve guides, don't think any production stuff comes with it though from Jeep.
gbeltran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I put synchmax in my tranny as recommended by a mechanic, it ran great for a few thousand miles then it started getting hard to shift. I just happen to bump into a family friend who rebuilt trans for 40 years and was told to get that crap out of my transmission. I switched to Royal purple gear oil and everything has been fine since. I'm going to try 10w 30 on the next fluid change. If I were you I would go to wal-mart and get some cheap 10w30, it may solve your problem. If it does then get some good oil in there.

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/

Last edited by ionakana; 03-30-2010 at 07:03 PM..
ionakana is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeltran View Post
Just wondering where the brass is? I know they make bronze valve guides.
Actually I think they just refer to the GL-5 gear oil as not nice with 'yellow metal', which I understood to include brass and bronze.
Unread 03-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw View Post
...What will happen is I will coast to a stop with the tranny in nuetral, and when the light turns green and I go to put it in 1st, it wont go into 1st at all, or any gear until I've wrestled with it. Eventually it will drop into 1st, then it will shift fine and smoothly for a little while until it acts up again. ... Is this a synchro problem or a clutch problem?
I had a similar situation with a Ranger. Difficulty shifting, and sometime unable to get into gear after stopping in neutral. Showed up particularly after the transmission warmed up. I thought my problem was synchro related, but replacing the clutch cured the shifting issue. Turned out the my pressure plate assembly was worn out among other things.

If bleeding the clutch and replacing the old hydraulic fluid doesn't solve the problem you might be looking at repairing/replacing the clutch. Since you are having problems shifting into any/all gears it would likely be a clutch disengagement issue, not every synchro gone bad at the same time. That is, unless when you drained the trans fluid it looked like you struck a goldmine.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #12
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Your problem sounds to be hydraulic pressure related. The master cylinders sometimes fail to were the pressure leaks past the piston in the bore (internally so that no fluid is lost). This prevents a loss of pressure being transfered to the slave for proper friction plate engagement. Check for brake fluid leaks at the firewall under the master and at the bottom of the bell housing. If clutch fluid level in the reservoir is fine, and the system is well bled, I would bet money on the master going bad.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #13
1993BlackYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just had my Tranny rebuild and filled it up with Royal Purple... Do I need to change it? Is it the wrong stuff.
1971 CJ5 "Dorothy" 225 Dauntless V6
1993 Black YJ 4.0L, 5 speed, Posi-Loc, 35x12.50 MTZ, 4" Skyjacker lift, Ramsey 8500 Winch, OBA, Front Aussie Locked, 8.8 ARB Rear, 4.10s

[SIZE="3"][B][B]My 93 Build Thread Over 700pics :[/B] [COLOR="Red"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-1st-jeep-build-1993yj-938195/[/url][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"][B][B]My 71 "Dorothy" Build Thread Lots of pics :[/B] [COLOR="Red"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/1971-cj5-dorothy-1122276/[/url][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

[B][SIZE="3"]My 53 CJ-3B "Ray" Build[/SIZE][/B]:[SIZE="3"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/1953-cj-b3-ray-1268717/#post12217917[/url][/SIZE]]

[B][I]Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior[/I][/B]
1993BlackYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #14
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993BlackYJ View Post
I just had my Tranny rebuild and filled it up with Royal Purple... Do I need to change it? Is it the wrong stuff.
Royal purple is fine. Only thing you need to avoid is GL-5 gear oil that typically has sulfur additives because the sulfur will attack the synchros.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 09:02 PM   #15
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

According to BobIsTheOilGuy, GL-5 hasn't been bad for yellow metal in about ten years. Any GL-5 on the shelf today is buffered to attenuate/eliminate the destruction of yellow metals.

With that said, my AX5 won't shift for beans (especially in the cold) with any GL-5 oils. Redline MTL all the way.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.