rounded head on bellhousing bolt???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rounded head on bellhousing bolt????

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
wildride89
2006 TJ Wrangler 

rounded head on bellhousing bolt????

i have been having issues with my jeep and with the help of this site and my neighbor it was narrowed down to the throwout bearing. i purchased a clutch kit from the neighborhood advance auto which came with the slave cylinder/bearing, pilot bearing/bushing pressure plate, alignment tool and clutch plate. i have never attempted removing transmissions or anything like that before but i figured what the hell and decided that it would be a good learning experience. i have since removed the front rear driveshafts, various lines to and from transfer case, the brake line from cylinder in bellhousing, exhaust since i couldnt clear the removal without it, and finally arrived to the point to where the bellhousing had the mounting bolts left in that. i removed the 6 bolts around the side and didnt know there was two more bolts at the top which my neighbor pointed out to me and he offered to help and didnt turn it down. since he has a jeep and has had one for a long time i figured he knows way more than me and he proceeded to try and take them out. turns out he thought that they were one size and it turned out to be inverted star heads and he ended up rounding off the head before i got back from the store with the set of star sockets. my question now is does anyone have a good idea as to how i can get that top left bolt out???? its definitely stripped because i put the right size socket on it and it was already too far gone. any ideas or info is appreciated thank you

wildride89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Weld a nut on it. Those 2 bolts are 2 I hope I never strip. They are a PITA to even see. If you drop the trans down on a jack and remove the shifter cover you can get to them better. You could try to pound a cheap socket on it. Those 2 bolts get the highest torque when they get tightened so they're in there.
Unread 04-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Gah... I've had to mess with those too many times on 4.0 rigs!

My advice would be to let the tranny sag so that you have more room to work with in there and try to either weld a nut on the end or..... Hrmmms..... Drill it out?

Good luck, I feel your pain!

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I was just in Home Depot the other day and saw a special socket for digging into and removing rounded head bolts. Can't tell you how well it works, though. I have successfully used a small pipe wrench on rounded heads, but you need some clearance for the wrench.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerman View Post
Weld a nut on it. Those 2 bolts are 2 I hope I never strip. They are a PITA to even see. If you drop the trans down on a jack and remove the shifter cover you can get to them better. You could try to pound a cheap socket on it. Those 2 bolts get the highest torque when they get tightened so they're in there.
X2 on the above advice.......... once you get those bolts out, toss them in the trash and replace them with some nice hex bolts.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #6
erockz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Buy these. They work amazing. Trust me I own them and am a mechanic. I use them all the time. A must have in your toolbox. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952166000P
erockz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

^^^ x2 I just thought about them. I have used them a couple of times and they just might work.
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The torx head bolts on the top of my AX-15 rounded. I lowered the tranny and took an old 3/8 socket, unknown brand, and tapped it over the bolt head with a hammer then I was able to get it off.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #9
wildride89
2006 TJ Wrangler 

thanks guys youre the best also the freaking flange coming down from the exh manifold i sheared off that bolt too but i guess what can you expect hardware conditions to be on a 21 year old jeep thanks again im going to give you an update when i get back to it
wildride89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 05:20 AM   #10
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildride89 View Post
thanks guys youre the best also the freaking flange coming down from the exh manifold i sheared off that bolt too but i guess what can you expect hardware conditions to be on a 21 year old jeep thanks again im going to give you an update when i get back to it
I think Autozone has some replacement studs you can get.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 06:19 AM   #11
Nucklez
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erockz View Post
Buy these. They work amazing. Trust me I own them and am a mechanic. I use them all the time. A must have in your toolbox. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952166000P
I was going to post the same set man! I have some of those, and had to use them when getting the exhaust off of the manifold. They were actually strong enough to break the bolt in half, even though the head was rounded off! Those things are amazingly strong! By the way, even my local machine shop couldn't tap the rest of the bolt out of the manifold. He had to drill and tap me another hole right beside that one.
Warn Front Axles
Howell TBI
Nucklez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.