Round 4" LED tail light install! - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Round 4" LED tail light install!

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

Reply
Unread 12-23-2010, 05:23 PM   #76
Crash_YJ
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 28
Thanks so much. Will do this tomorrow. Gotta love forums.

Crash_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 09:52 PM   #77
bigbuck53
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampa, florida
Posts: 43
theres no way you screw them in they just sit in the hole you cut?
and they stay there?
__________________
2.5 88 yj sao with 35 bfg ats

<ahref=*"www.legionofjeepers.com">legion of jeepers<a/>
bigbuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #78
timatoe
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 13,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck53 View Post
theres no way you screw them in they just sit in the hole you cut?
and they stay there?
There are different types. One type has a flange that screws to the body (look up a few posts), the other has a rubber grommet that fits between the body and the light. The grommet type fits very snug, I can't even imagine the lights falling out. Stop into a truck stop and you'll see a vast majority of the lights on big rigs use the grommet, don't imagine they'd be doing that if it wasn't too secure.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #79
Lee3333
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Change the flasher unit with an electronic unit, they're about $12 from any parts house. EL-12 is what you're looking for.
The problem is that standard flashers need the resistance of regular bulbs to flash. If you still have problems with the LED flasher like I did, then just try switching the wires and it should work. (And you should not need one with a separate ground wire.) If you need to reverse the wires, you will need to make jumpers which are just 2 short pieces of wire with female spades on each end.

I also changed my front and side running lights along with my front turn signals to LED's to keep all the current demands equal.

Sorry for the huge size but I don't know how to make it smaller.
z-front-quater-img_0640.jpg   z-rear-quater-img_0633.jpg  
Lee3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2011, 07:14 AM   #80
sgrind1
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: port st joe, florida
Posts: 55
thinking of doing this my ? is do u have to get electronic flasher for this set up to work properly or is this an option. my jeep is dd.
sgrind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #81
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru
 
UltimatE's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Worcester, Mass
Posts: 6,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrind1 View Post
thinking of doing this my ? is do u have to get electronic flasher for this set up to work properly or is this an option. my jeep is dd.
Required. EL-12 flasher is a couple bucks at your local parts store.
__________________
-Matt

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #82
sgrind1
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: port st joe, florida
Posts: 55
thanks
sgrind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #83
apentivolpi
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 94
I did mine today, it looks great!!!!!! I just need to setup the reverse light next
apentivolpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 01:01 AM   #84
SunDevilJeeper
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Phelan, CA
Posts: 3,066
old thread i know but heres mine, bought at o'reilly when i worked there. employee discount ftw.

optronics LEDS.



i relocated the license plate since then. all i did was just unhook the old lights and cut the tub, solder in the new ones, hooked it up and popped them in place.

didn't buy anything else for the flashers or anything. these lights are sort of "plug and play" if you will.
__________________
1992 YJ - 5.2L V8
2003 WJ Limited - 4.7L H.O. V8

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #85
southworth
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee3333 View Post
The problem is that standard flashers need the resistance of regular bulbs to flash. If you still have problems with the LED flasher like I did, then just try switching the wires and it should work. (And you should not need one with a separate ground wire.) If you need to reverse the wires, you will need to make jumpers which are just 2 short pieces of wire with female spades on each end.

I also changed my front and side running lights along with my front turn signals to LED's to keep all the current demands equal.

Sorry for the huge size but I don't know how to make it smaller.
I know this is going to get me some heat, but this may be the worst looking YJ that I ever have seen.
southworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #86
Jax89Jeeper
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by southworth

I know this is going to get me some heat, but this may be the worst looking YJ that I ever have seen.
That thing better be fast, it cetainly ain't pretty.
Jax89Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #87
timatoe
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 13,458
I think he posted here before that he built it as an oddball dragster.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #88
jmmorgan82
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by southworth View Post
I know this is going to get me some heat, but this may be the worst looking YJ that I ever have seen.
Resurrecting a three month old post to trash someones ride might just bring you some heat.
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #89
southworth
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmorgan82 View Post
Resurrecting a three month old post to trash someones ride might just bring you some heat.
Well, the tail lights look great.
southworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #90
patnewk76
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mays, IN
Posts: 223
We got our holes drilled for our LED's tonight. Just need to paint the tub then we're all set
patnewk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.