Rough idle symptom - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough idle symptom

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-26-2015, 03:19 PM   #1
92Islander
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Rough idle symptom

OK so I did a tune up about 1-2,000 miles ago. All was well. replaced cap/rotor/plugs&wires. For the last 500 mi or so has been rough at idle, not stalling but a little rough that you can feel. It is a little noticeable in the exhaust, vibration. I then read the forums and saw that Champion Platinum plugs sometime cause an issue! I used the 7304's. I also then realized that the GAP (pregap) was .45 and not .35 - so I re-gapped to .35. I check the vacuum lines and replaced a few that were marginal. I still have the rough idle. I added some injector cleaner since I did come very CLOSE to running out of gas about 3-4 weeks ago (fuel gauge was wrong). (thinking sludge mucked up the injectors). So far no luck. I am attaching the pics of the plug before re-gapping. Other than some carbon on the insulator I think they look normal ? Some feedback would be cool to see if I am on base here.

Is my best bet to go back to copper Champions ?

img_0303.jpg   img_0304.jpg   img_0305.jpg  
Unread 07-27-2015, 07:27 AM   #2
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You should always use champion copper for the old wranglers.

If you haven't already, remove the throttle body and IAC valve and clean them up.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

X2 with champs and always do 3 more things with a tune up
1) always run a code check
2) Clean the IAC and the throttle body
3) replace the fuel filter

You have an idle issue and the last 2 definitely will effect your idle.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2015, 06:15 PM   #4
92Islander
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Mike and Que thanks for the recommendations! I have a fuel filter I was going to do this weekend. The IAC I never heard of and found some great YouTube on cleaning. I think I will pull them both this weekend and give a good cleaning. And based on your replies along with others I have read, looks like Copper Champions are the going back in!
Unread 07-27-2015, 06:44 PM   #5
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yeah, platinum and irridium are for longevity and longer service intervals, not performance.

The modern vehicle offsets the need for copper plugs by using stronger ignition systems and newer engine technology. Most of those will run better with copper as well though. But you wouldn't put them into a pontiac grand prix lateral V6 engine since you have to spin the entire engine around in the engine bay to take the spark plugs out...
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.