Rough Country New and improved!!!!! - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Country New and improved!!!!!

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 03-14-2008, 06:01 AM   #121
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckYJ View Post
I am planning on ordering your 1.5" kit either tomorrow or Saturday. I do have a question for you. As was stated before about those "Huge" shackles. Those look to be the Performance Accessories 1.25" lift shackles. Correct me if I am wrong. It was stated that they may have been the cause of the bent spring. I am planning on running a set of 1" lift shackles with this 1.5" kit. If these "Huge" shackles are what is causing the bent springs then either yall need to acknowledge that and fix it or I need to look elsewhere. People are going to run lift shackles just due to the fact that is a cheap and easy way to gain a inch, and if yall's springs can't take that then you either need to make that clear to the consumer or address the issue. Just my 2 cents though. Please let me know if these shackles are going to cause my springs to bend, sag, or anything at all.
Thanks
Robbie
As stated above, but with a little more detail...

Longer shackles increase lift, however, they also increase the shackle travel eye to eye. Kickback occurs when a shackle gets inverted by the eye to eye distance going to far under droop. Thus, the shackle passes the 180* limit and folds up the wrong way. Shorter shackles are engineered to not invert or "kickback". The rate of eye to eye movement is accounted for and limited.

When you use 2, 3, 4 or whatever increased spring arch, this effects the geometry of the eye too eye travel. This is why most companies recommend nothing larger than a 5/8" lift shackle, because when you go over that the 180* eye to eye travel limit gets comprised. Additionally with the higher arch in the springs, you'll notice good kits come with extended bump stops. These along with helping to not over stuff your tires, are to keep the droop side shackle from inverting by limiting the uptravel on the other side.

When you go over 5/8" lift on a shackle, you eliminate all the pre-engineered safeguards on preventing inversion or kickback. Running those super duper 1.5" lift shackles essentially eliminated all the kickback prevention, more than likely resulting in kickback causing the bent spring in the pics above.

Even 5/8" is pushing it but does give you almost an inch. A lot of folks (me included) run M.O.R.E.'s 5/8" boomerang shackles which uses the center bolt/bushing as an anti-kickback feature, so even with the "not-recommended" shackle lift with lift springs, we keep the anti-kickback prevention. Plus MORE boomers look good and allow for more rear articulation.

Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2008, 07:28 AM   #122
Raven
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Rough contry... i just ordered a 4" rough country kit from performance offroad. I have heard some negative and a lot of positive. The fact you are here on this board trying to help out your customers and possible future customers is what impresses me greatly!!! and that is why i bought your product. I am a novice jeeper and just bought my YJ 2 years ago. this will be my first lift and i am looking forward to the fun i'm going to have with it. I have yet to install it but i do want to thank you for your amazing customer service. Not only are you here answering questions but performance offroad and a local dealer (banditt Offroad) talk about your kit and use them often. so from those of us you may not here from all the time. Thank You for caring about your product and your customers.
Unread 03-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #123
dos0711
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Kit showed up today! WOOHOO! Now I just have to find my stock shackles...

/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)==@=)_)
dos0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #124
lurkeryj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

newb here. just bought a 94 4cyl and order a 4" rough country. so far im slightly less than pleased will the whole experience. when i called rough country to order, dude on the phone acted like he didnt have two minutes to talk to me or answer my questions. very pushy. anyway, lift finally arrives. at least most of it. i start poppin open boxes, find out im missing a sleeve for the leaf spring bushing, and missing an entire leaf spring! on one of the leafs, the whole bottom leaf looks like its off center, possibly the holes for the plastic alignment dowels are drilled off center. called rough country about it, they said that happens in shipping. i tried to explain to them that is looks like the leaf is drilled wrong, not just that it got off center in the pack. they werent hearing any of it. back to the missing parts. . . the leaf spring i think is ups fault, either way it sucks. rough country did send me out a sleeve i was missing, and im still waiting on my other leaf spring. i just hope that i dont find other stuff im missing when i go to install it. kinda of a crappy begging to a lift install. i havent installed the kit yet, but so far, i feel like i should have spent a couple extra bucks for something higher quality. hopefully the ride and overall quality will impress me enough to change my mind after all is said and done
lurkeryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #125
PiedmontYJ
2011 JK Wrangler 

I have spent most of the day putting on my 4" kit and have no problems yet.overall the lit is very complete and easy to install.I installed the front springs in about an hour and a half due to rusty 20 year old bolts.For the money its a good kit I got mine from jmoffroad on ebay and was a little worried about getting the old springs but it was dropped shipped from RC and has the new springs.
PiedmontYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #126
Rough Country
Vendor
2002 WJ 

lurkeryj you have a PM
Rough Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2008, 06:18 PM   #127
RedneckYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well I bit the bullet and ordered the 4" kit today. Look for a review real soon. I have to say that I am really excited. I can't wait to get it and install it.
Robbie
RedneckYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #128
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond88yj View Post
Just curious, out of all the posts here, you were the only one with a negative warranty experience. About 10 other positive warranty posts. This is after they (I think) replaced several of your springs under warranty.

So, just keeping it all in perspective.
no, they never replaced any of my springs under warranty. when i called and asked about a warranty replacement they told me i was SOL even thought their product is pure ****.

btw i'm not impressed with those pics of their new springs. they still look flimsy to me. if all your gonna do is dirt road riding they might hold up. Your kidneys will be hurting but they might last on that kind of terrain. don't expect em to hold up in the rocks though or anything that actually requires flex.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2008, 08:12 PM   #129
thegrimlinyj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Reading all this kinda makes me think how does RC make any money? They sell a kit for $429. that is made of heavy steel and warranty about 50% of them. I mean after all this shipping and the high cost of good new steel now days it just does not add up to me. If I had to warranty this much stuff at work I would be out of business. Also is this just a yj problem or were other leaf kits affected
thegrimlinyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #130
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrimlinyj View Post
Reading all this kinda makes me think how does RC make any money? They sell a kit for $429. that is made of heavy steel and warranty about 50% of them. I mean after all this shipping and the high cost of good new steel now days it just does not add up to me. If I had to warranty this much stuff at work I would be out of business. Also is this just a yj problem or were other leaf kits affected
From what I understand, there are no issues with the other models. RC is a good brand in the XJ world.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2008, 09:10 PM   #131
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

Don't get me wrong I will be giving them a chance once I get the spare cash for the YJ, but in the TTB world they are crap too, their drop brackets punch holes in the front diffs and the coils are stiff....
samsonitesamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2008, 10:06 PM   #132
OneCleanYj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yesterday I had to prove to a friend of mine that my RC springs can flex quite well. Even with 35 PSI in all 4 tires I had no problem stuffing the tires into the wheel wells. I've used the springs well off road (never beat hard, but used to their full potential) and they've held up. Like my sig says I hate a sagging rear end, but that will get fiuxed. I still need to send in pics to get mine warrantied. I'm hoping with new leafs I'll clear 35's with my TJ flares until I do a SOA swap
Unread 03-15-2008, 05:15 AM   #133
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
no, they never replaced any of my springs under warranty. when i called and asked about a warranty replacement they told me i was SOL even thought their product is pure ****.

btw i'm not impressed with those pics of their new springs. they still look flimsy to me. if all your gonna do is dirt road riding they might hold up. Your kidneys will be hurting but they might last on that kind of terrain. don't expect em to hold up in the rocks though or anything that actually requires flex.
My apologies 92Green, I misread then. Sorry you had a bad experience with them. The old springs I had were definite kidney busters, but i kind of knew that goin' in, cheapest lift on the market and all that. However the new ones were super flexy on day one and are easily on par with RE, Skyjacker and teraflex. I beat my rig up pretty good on rocks as you do (only rocks, hate mud) and now about 2 mos in, I've had no problems so far.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 06:33 AM   #134
vfrpilot
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Way to go RC - good for business as well as indirect marketing.
There is nothing better than a pulse on the people

I've had my 4" on for 6 to 8 months now I think...
When I 1st had the lit installed, I polled the board here and got initial mixed reviews... the 1st responses were mainly negative - mainly from the vets here. They'll [vets] remember....
Then people starting responding with positive experiences or should I say NOT negative experiences.
If you search the board with my name & "RC", you'll find the posts
I've found, even with my own kit - that people LOOK for problems, LOOK for sag.... b/c of the rep....
My ride is rough- but like others say - its a jeep man ?!?!

My current concerns: I'm watching for sag and/or uneven tilt... I'm a bit concerned as I write this.....

MY kit was professionally installed as well as ordered through [the installer].
I paid the extra for the pro install to ensure warranty accountability; so my question to RoughCountry....
I shouldn't have ANY problems with regard to replacements IF I need, right?
l--L-⌐OlllllllO-
▒)ŻŻ ▒)--♂-▒)
Criminals thrive on society's indulgence in tolerance
vfrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #135
Ripcurlsurfin96
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey RC,
PM Sent

Tags
lift , review , rough country , suspension , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.