Rough Country New and improved!!!!! - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Country New and improved!!!!!

Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE KitsUCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!

Unread 03-13-2008, 12:58 AM   #91
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Now i've spent a bit of time coming my files looking for pictures of all the damaged springs. Unfortunately i could only find these as this was more than a few years ago now. they are all of the first bent spring. which btw i e-mailed to RC when it happened when i was trying to get them to honor their supposed warranty and they told me tough ****.

i did indeed bend a total of 4 front springs. after i replaced the first pair i stopped bothering. i just ran the second pair of front springs bent until i bought the Rubicon Express Lift. the broken rear, like i said, the first pair when i called about a warranty they once again told me i was SOL but they would gladly sell me another pair for 85 bucks each plus shipping. Since only one leaf per pack had broken i just ordered their add a leaf kit instead to replace the broken leaf in the packs. then about two months later those broke too. at that point i had two bent front springs and two busted rears. I was tired of wasting money on RCs garbage so I went ahead and ordered the Rubicon Express Kit. Like I said i was half tempted to ship all the broken rusted crap back to Rough Country but decided i had wasted enough money on their garbage.

Hate me if you want but i speak the truth. I had NOTHING but problems with their POS lift kit. I ordered the RE 4" to replace it and have never had a single problem since like what i had with the rough country crap. And I wheel much more extreme terrain and I am much harder on my YJ these days.
THIS is what QUALITY lift springs are supposed to look like.

my RE kit has not sagged at all. I have never bent a spring. I have never broken a spring. It rides a thousand times better and flexes a thousand times better than the RC lift ever did.

VERDICT: DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON ANYTHING THIS GUY IS SELLING!

Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2008, 05:15 AM   #92
schizm99
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I can say that my front spring looks the same.. well i bent it back till spring but yes mine looks that way. However I think my shackle got hung on a rock. I am not a sales rep, I do not make money from saying this. I would buy this kit again! And green yj your more than welcome to wheel with me! lol j/k.. At least he is here answering questions and taking the time. Where are the rubicon reps? However once again please add the leaf bolts for us rusty states!
front lunch box lockers w/posi-lok
uniden cb, gt steering wheel, 4.10 gears
and anything else homemade
schizm99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2008, 05:24 AM   #93
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post

With those shackles, it's no wonder you kicked back.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2008, 05:26 AM   #94
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond88yj View Post
Exactly what I was thinking when I saw those. They are huge!!!

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2008, 08:09 AM   #95
Rough Country
Vendor
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
which btw i e-mailed to RC when it happened when i was trying to get them to honor their supposed warranty and they told me tough ****.]
We do honor our warranty we just don't cover customer abuse.

Copied out of the warranty statement....
(3) Products or components which have been subjected to abuse, accident, alteration, modification, improper installation, tampering, negligence, misuse, installed on a vehicle used in sanctioned racing events
Rough Country is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2008, 08:25 AM   #96
Brads_nky_yj

I personally cant wait till I have the money to order the 6" RC lift! I have friends who run the RC kits and have never heard anything bad come from their mouths!
Brads_nky_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2008, 09:18 AM   #97
BlackRhino
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond88yj View Post
Yeah, I think with stock length shackles that wouldn't have happened. They are a more inexpensive kit, so yeah they aren't going to be as strong as one that costs twice as much. You just have to be sensible about it.
Unread 03-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #98
muddylife

rc yj springs

I have rc springs on now, i have had problems with them saging, but every time i sent pictures of the springs they send new springs out, sucks haveing to change springs so much but they do stand behind there springs.
muddylife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2008, 10:47 AM   #99
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

how does one order the 1.5 lift?
samsonitesamson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2008, 10:51 AM   #100
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
I gotta ask the obvious question, and by doing so if it's answered with good pics, should help RC clear-up any confusion.

How about posting pics of the old leafs and the new leafs so folks can compare?

More specifically; leaf eye ends, all leaf tapers, all pads, all retainer clips & approx locations. This will allow folks to see how improvements have been made and help clarify if folks have the older design or the newer.

I started working fulltime in the off-road industry ~31 years ago, and RC was about our only competitor.
Any pics available from the Rough Country folks yet?

Pics are worth 1,000 words.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2008, 11:05 AM   #101
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Exactly what I was thinking when I saw those. They are huge!!!
I thought the shackles might have been causing the problem initially. I beleive if you look in some of those pics I later switched back to the stock shackles after the first spring was bent. it still didnt help.

Say what you want. I will never buy anything from Rough Country ever again and will continue to urge others to do the same
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
Unread 03-13-2008, 12:04 PM   #102
Rough Country
Vendor
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
I gotta ask the obvious question, and by doing so if it's answered with good pics, should help RC clear-up any confusion.

How about posting pics of the old leafs and the new leafs so folks can compare?

More specifically; leaf eye ends, all leaf tapers, all pads, all retainer clips & approx locations. This will allow folks to see how improvements have been made and help clarify if folks have the older design or the newer.

I started working fulltime in the off-road industry ~31 years ago, and RC was about our only competitor.
Wow I must have passed over this one. I can see what I can come up with if we have any of the old ones here.
Rough Country is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #103
pushead

This is interesting. When did the lifetime warranty start? I ordered my springs direct from RC 3 or 4 years ago and new shackles about a year after that. Shortly after the new shackles went on and just over a year of spring installation, one of my spings bent. I was told the warranty was only for one year. To make it worse I was then told they no longer manufacture my spring. They stopped making the 3" and went to the 4", but would gladly send me 4" srping at cost. Like that would help. Say what you want but I feel I got the short end of the stick.
Unread 03-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #104
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Country View Post
We do honor our warranty we just don't cover customer abuse.

Copied out of the warranty statement....
(3) Products or components which have been subjected to abuse, accident, alteration, modification, improper installation, tampering, negligence, misuse, installed on a vehicle used in sanctioned racing events
In other words your warranty is a non existent joke as I said before.

Folks, don't waste your money. Save a little more and get a quality product with a REAL warranty. BDS for example has a no questions asked lifetime warranty. I know a few people who have broken a BDS spring and BDS sent them a brand new spring free of charge no questions asked even if the spring was several years old.
Unread 03-13-2008, 02:16 PM   #105
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think it is a kinda you get what you pay for type of thing..... I would have no issues with a RC kit since I dont generally abuse my rigs off road. If I had a Jeep that was being built for some severe abuse I would probably pony up for a better quality product. I also wouldnt expect a company to cover the cost of repairing my rig if I broke it.... Maybe its just me but I have the mind set of you gotta pay to play. Dont race on sunday what has to take you to work on monday.

My Attempt at a Wrangler YJ Unlimited

No Stretch TJ Build For The Wife
LilViper95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
lift , review , rough country , suspension , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.