Rough Country New and improved!!!!! - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Country New and improved!!!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 03-12-2008, 01:23 PM   #76
plaidfro
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Country View Post
For the 1.5 kit it is $399
I think you have another new customer. Smart marketing tactic coming on here and answering our questions... Thanks.

plaidfro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #77
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ok, you want the bad and the ugly? You'll get it. I made the mistake of purchasing a Rough Country 4" lift kit as my first lift back when i first lifted the Jeep. It ended up being the worst mistake of my life and cost me an arm and a leg in the long run. Not two weeks after installing the lift I started blowing rear u-joints like once a week. After talking to some people we determined this was happening because of the weak rear springs wrapping way too much. the springs would wrap and boom i'd blow a u-joint. this of course led to the eventual failure of my transfer case and having to buy a whole new t-case.
Next issue, not three weeks after installing the kit i was on a mild trail and noticed that hey, the front leaf shouldn't look like this

completely bent for no apparent reason. When I called you guys about a warranty replacement you flat out told me that your "warranty" (don't make me laugh) does not cover damage resulting from use of your products, but you would be more than happy to sell me another spring for 85 bucks plus shipping. I stupidly said fine and paid you more money. Only to have the same spring bend again about a month later. then bent the other front spring not long after that.

My next shock at the horrid quality of your products came in the spring. A buddy had blown out his rear diff so I had him on a strap and was towing him to the trail head. we were climbing a very mild rocky hill when all of a sudden i hear a loud clang! Low and behold I get out and see two broken pieces of leaf spring. One of the middle leaves in the pack had snapped in half at the centering pin and shot out the back of the YJ. Now one side was sagging. Not 5 minutes later the same thing happened on the other side. Only this time one of the chunks of spring had stayed lodged in there and gouged a nice deep ring around the entire diameter of my $175 35" tire. So now i had to replace an expensive tire thanks to your crappy workmanship. I ordered one of your add a leaf kits to replace the broken leaves and it was ok for a while. until going down a sandy wash and gee, look at that, same damn thing. both the add a leafs snapped in half.

At this point i was completely fed up. So I called Rubicon Express and bought their 4" lift kit so I could throw every single piece of crap i had gotten from you in the trash. I almost boxed all the broken rusted pieces up and shipped them back to you but i decided i had wasted enough money on you so I just took em to the scrap yard and got a few bucks out of the scrap metal instead.

To this day I have never had a single problem with my Rubicon Express lift kit. It rides a thousand times better than your crap ever did, it has never bent or broken or caused untold amounts of damage to other parts of my rig and overall i am very happy i went with Rubicon Express. Wish I had from the start instead of wasting a lot of time and money on your garbage. I still to this day recommend that everyone steers very clear of your company and your products and will continue to do so. I will never spend another penny with your company and will try my hardest to make sure others don't waste their time and money on your garbage either.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #78
LibertyWrangler

What was the cost fo the Rubicon Express kit? Anyone had problems with the Rubican Express kits? I was quoted about $500 by RC for their lift shipped to my door, I found the RE 4" lift for 819 online, for an extra $300 I would definitely get it to avoid all the other issues the previous poster had
LibertyWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2008, 02:04 PM   #79
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyWrangler View Post
What was the cost fo the Rubicon Express kit? Anyone had problems with the Rubican Express kits? I was quoted about $500 by RC for their lift shipped to my door, I found the RE 4" lift for 819 online, for an extra $300 I would definitely get it to avoid all the other issues the previous poster had
I paid 620 for my RE Standard Duty 4" shipped to my door. I have never had a single problem with my Rubicon Express components. I'd spend the extra dough on Rubicon Express any day over wasting my hard earned money on any more Rough Country garbage
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
Unread 03-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #80
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm currently shopping for springs...I wish you guys made a 2.5 inch kit.
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #81
The_Duke
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
Next issue, not three weeks after installing the kit i was on a mild trail and noticed that hey, the front leaf shouldn't look like this
That is from your shackle kicking back and would happen no matter what lift you have......

I sure wouldn't want you to put a lift on anything of mine
'95 YJ, 4.0L I6, 4" Rough Country Lift, Warn Floating Axle, M.O.R.E. Boomerang Shackles, 33x12.5 Kuhmo M/Ts, 9500 LB Warn HS9500i with synthetic line and 7500 LB Winch, Hi-Lift, KC Daylighters, OBA, K&N High Performance Intake System, Tube Steps, and an Aussie up front.

1998 XJ Limited Sport - Stock....for now.
The_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #82
enochstek

Quote:
ok, you want the bad and the ugly? You'll get it. I made the mistake of purchasing a Rough Country 4" lift kit as my first lift back when i first lifted the Jeep. It ended up being the worst mistake of my life and cost me an arm and a leg in the long run. Not two weeks after installing the lift I started blowing rear u-joints like once a week. After talking to some people we determined this was happening because of the weak rear springs wrapping way too much. the springs would wrap and boom i'd blow a u-joint. this of course led to the eventual failure of my transfer case and having to buy a whole new t-case.

completely bent for no apparent reason. Blah Blah Blah.
You post this trash all the time. And everytime you post it, the story is different. I think you are making most of this up.

Here is a quote from a previous post referring to this same picture.
"this is what one of my rough country 4" springs looked like two days after installation and right after my first wheeling trip on it'

Here is what state here.
"not three weeks after installing the kit i was on a mild trail and noticed that hey, the front leaf shouldn't look like this"

What about this? from a previous post
"It rode like crap, flexed horribly, and the springs were weak as hell. I bent 4 front springs and broke 6 rear packs over the course of 2 years."

If you hated the product that bad you would not have wasted the time putting on "10" springs. If RC did not warranty and charged you $85 each that would have been over $850 in replacement springs. That is stupid.
enochstek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #83
BlackRhino
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c313/92greenyj/Jeep%20damage/MVC-899F.jpg
Somehow I don't think your definition of "mild" comes even close to anyone else's. All of the problems you describe sound like bad installation issues and/or rough trails. I've heard plenty of people say that RC springs sag, but not once have I ever heard someone have issues like you have. The quality of the springs may not have been that great, but there's something else wrong if you are breaking and bending that many.

Last edited by BlackRhino; 03-12-2008 at 06:26 PM..
BlackRhino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2008, 06:12 PM   #84
Rough Country
Vendor
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Duke View Post
That is from your shackle kicking back and would happen no matter what lift you have......
Exactly. This usually happens when you drop off in a hole of some sort.

92 GREEN YJ I do appreciate you posting and can you send me some pictures of the mild trails you were on to ans@roughcountry.com
Rough Country is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2008, 07:23 PM   #85
jeepyj027
1989 YJ Wrangler 

rough country, i sent you a pm and a email. send me a reply if you get a chance. thanks
4" Rough Country lift
33x13.50x15 tsl's on 10" steel wheels
Red Jeep Club #448
jeepyj027 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2008, 07:28 PM   #86
Rough Country
Vendor
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepyj027 View Post
rough country, i sent you a pm and a email. send me a reply if you get a chance. thanks
You have mail.
Rough Country is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2008, 08:41 PM   #87
LibertyWrangler

Quote:

I'd retract this post if I knew the guy with the negative talk on the RC was for sure just talking crap
Unread 03-12-2008, 08:50 PM   #88
BlackRhino
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'd retract this post if I knew the guy with the negative talk on the RC was for sure just talking crap
I don't know for sure that he is. However I have never, ever heard anyone else have those kind of problems with a RC lift. If what he says really is true, it's a one-of-a-kind case.
Unread 03-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #89
LibertyWrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRhino View Post
I don't know for sure that he is. However I have never, ever heard anyone else have those kind of problems with a RC lift. If what he says really is true, it's a one-of-a-kind case.
It is just good to have places like this to come and ask questions but for rough country to come on here and post, he definitely stands by his product so it's what you want to see!

I got a while before I come up with the $$$$$ to buy the lift anyway, but it's nice to have a full backround on what you are about to spend hard earned $ on!
Unread 03-13-2008, 01:50 AM   #90
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRhino View Post
its 100% true. I had nothing but problems with the rough country lift kit. It was professionally installed too. didnt have the tools, the know how, or the place or time to install it myself so I had it done at a pro off road shop. It flat out was nothing but trouble.
heres a few shots of the trails i was running when i had that piece of crap lift. Nothing even close to the extreme stuff i run these days.

If you guys consider that stuff hardcore maybe i need to stop visiting this board. i did every obstacle in those pics when i was bone stock too before i even added the RC lift.

So no i wasn't beating on it and putting it thru crazy stuff. the lift was 100% crap plain and simple

Tags
lift , review , rough country , suspension , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.