Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rough Country New and improved!!!!!

290K views 3K replies 592 participants last post by  jeepyj13 
#1 ·
Alright I started this post so I can get a feel of what you guys think about our YJ kits, I know that in the past we had leaf spring problems but we have gone to a different manufacturer and they are giving us a much better quality spring. Let me hear the good, the bad, the ugly. I want to be the link that will let us know what the YJ community thinks we could improve and what you want in a kit.

Feel Free to email me at ans@roughcounty.com or rchase@roughcountry.com:thumbsup:

#2,156 ·
My 4" kit just got here same day as Jeffery told me. I helped the UPS guy unload and started checking. So far it looks like everything is here. Probably start the install tomorrow or sat. Been P Blasting everything for a week.

#2,157 ·
Ryan,

I'm sure you have a million and two pm's, so if you check this drop me a pm and let me know when you are in the office. I'm ready to order a lift.

I know I can just call and talk to anyone, but I figure Ryan might get some commission off a sale. He's done a lot for the YJ community and if so I'd like to make sure he'd get a little extra change in his pocket.

#2,160 ·
Does anyone know the angle of the shims that come with the 4" kit.. I think I need a couple more degrees but not sure what I have now? I thought they were 4* but when I stopped by the local jeep shop to buy some 6* they looked smaller then what came with the kit..

The only way I can think of measuring them is to take the off the heep, but I don't want it to be down while I order the new ones? :cheers2:

#2,162 ·
My RC 3.5" springs bent after about 3 years and no use, it sat in the garage. I have emaile RC several times with absolutly no response. can anyone tell me what springs I shouls get to replace the bent RC ones I have. I dont want to have to buy another complete kit.....

#2,163 ·
Call here: RYAN AT 1-800-222-7023 EXT 123!!

If you do not get Ryan, Try Jeff at EXT 125. He is the TJ rep but can help.

#2,166 ·
So....now that my lift is on the way, I've been thinking. What no BS tools am I going to need to put this on. I'm currently working overseas (I'll be home in July for vacation), and all of my tools are in storage in another state half way across the country from where I live in the states now. I have a jack and 4 jack stands, so I have that covered. I'm guessing I'll pop into Sears or something and pick up a socket wrench set, a BFH, torque wrench, breaker bar, other small hand tools and of course some PB Blaster. What else would I need? Any special tools? An air compresser and air tools are probably not going to happen unless I have a killer deal somewhere.

Thanks,
Mike

#2,167 ·
i hardly used my impact gun. I mainly used a breaker bar and cut off tool. you will also need a 3/4 socket a 7/8 socket and 13/16 socket. (try and go deep sockets just incase) Also a 9/16 wrench and a 3/4 wrench. Also a big pipe can help with breaking bolts. Also check with sears on a air compressure i got a small one there for like 100 or something like that. Also i used a sawzaw a lot. And maybe somekind of torch or something. If i think of something else ill let you know.

#2,168 ·
Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks. I'll have to look for a cut off tool, probably try to find a sawzaw. Those things are great. As for a torch, would a small propan torch work? I don't know how much heat it would put out, but I would think it should be enough to eat away a bushing or two.

#2,170 ·
Yeah no problem man trying to make it the easist for you. And i only used the torch once for the pimpman arm and all i used was the small propan torch. But it may have helped taking some bolts off not sure. But with a cut off wheel it went throw the bushings like nothing.

#2,169 ·
So far the rc kit has been a pretty good kit, even while wheeling.

But i just got 4 new springs from ryan like 3 months ago and all the springs are holding up good except the frnt drv's side spring is sagging a full inch!!!!!! Im just gonna order some re springs soon; just gotta scrape up the cash for them.

#2,171 ·
If you have a saggy spring after 3 months I would not consider RC much improved. I have had a black diamond kit on since '03 and have not had any spring problems. I used to have a RC kit back in 2000-2001 time frame and my springs had made in Cananda on them and they did not sag but they were so stiff they would beat you to death.

#2,175 ·
Definitely go for the propane torch. Been using it a lot. I was out of town and my dad went and bought a sawzal cause there were a few bolts that I got stuck on before I left. He trashed out 2 blades and two grinder cut off disks. Hopefully the back will be easier. yeah right. It seems like a am getting a lot more torque with a breaker bar than I am with the pneumatic impact wrench. I have been doing the P Blaster for the last week.

#2,176 ·
To Irish Mike,
You will definately need a 4" angle grinder, helpful in several situations.

To anyone else:
HOW DO I GET THE FREAKIN PITMAN ARM OFF, seriously, I have tried everything, heat, gear puller, spud wrench, I am at a loss.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2,182 ·
In addition to my previous post, If you do not own a pitman arm puller your local auto parts store may rent them out. Auto Zone for instance will rent it for the price of the tool but when you return the tool they refund you ALL of your money back. At least the one near me does. Also believe Advanced auto does too. Good luck.

#2,183 ·
I just got my replacement springs from Ryan. Thanks again Ryan!!
But before I put them on I need to figure some stuff out. Right now I am pretty maxed out with the old 4" RC springs (more like 2"-2.5" and 2" lift shackles and no SYE.
How much lift do the new 4" springs actually provide? is it a true 4"? I know I can't really go any higher than what I'm at right now but I am wondering if I can go back to stock shackles or will I still need some lift in the shackles?

#2,187 ·
I did mine, by myself in about 8-10 hours with an electric impact. This was the first time I had done something like this. I insalled the 2 1/2" RC lift. I didn't have to do the transfer case drop or the pitman arm. I soaked it in PB Blaster for days before I started, and I still had to cut out a couple bolts. I had all new bolts so anything that gave me the slightest issue got whacked! I also did not reinstall the trackbars. I couldn't get the sway bar links off all the way but I made due. It wasn't that bad!:2thumbsup:

#2,186 ·
It really all depends on your Jeep and the tools you are using. My friends 91 took us roughly 10 hours because every bolt was rusted and we started from a stock Jeep installing a BDS 3.5" kit. Mine took like 3 hours replacing springs and shocks on a previously lifted Jeep. All the rusted bolts had been replaced on my Jeep by the PO. Both of us used a 20 gallon compressor with impact tools and hand tools. His required ALOT of cutting off old bolts,hammering and blood,sweat and beers. Problems we ran into.......

#1 transfer case skid bolts stripped out of the nutserts in the frame on 4 outta 6 of his.
#2 U-bolts on the axles will need to be cut off with cutting tool.
#3 The hangar bolts on frame for stock springs will likely be rusted into the bushings and need to be cut and replaced. Believe they were 9/16x4.5 inch Grade 8 bolts with nuts.
#4 Without air tools its ALOT of wrenching
#5 Without friends helping you are in for a huge lesson in patience and banged up knuckles so have plenty of beer and pizza handy. LOL
I'm sure we ran into other snags but those were the most annoying and believe the most popular. Good luck.

#2,194 ·
I had to go buy a new socket for my pitman arm and I haven't had a chance to go get the nut off yet. It seems like everyone is using a puller. Has anyone used a fork or a bearing separator?

#2,196 ·
I too had to "max out" the puller...to the point of almost bending it.... with all that pressure on it I repeatedly hit the S.O.B. with a 4lb. hammer.... on the 8th hit.... that thing took off like a rocket....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.