Rough Country New and improved!!!!! - Page 161 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Country New and improved!!!!!

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #2401
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You call lots of bent and saggy springs a little issue?

Unread 09-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #2402
ROADDOG516
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Day 1 of install went pretty smooth got everything on front done, took so long because everything was stock and rusted on or fallen off.. uestion can anyone shoot me a pic of there brake relocation brackets? The manual is pretty vague and leaves alot of open ends which I hope Ive done correct. And could anyone tell me which bushings they used on the ttop of the front shock mounts thru the frame mount...Thanx
2013 JKU Sahara
ROADDOG516 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2009, 06:56 AM   #2403
CTJeepin
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone have any luck getting in contact with this Ryan guy? I emailed him about a month ago and got no response. I also called twice and wasn't able to get in contact with him. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I should go with their lift and have some questions for him regarding these "new" springs that they're using now. Their lack of customer service isn't exactly helping their cause.
CTJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2009, 07:14 AM   #2404
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Call up Jeff the tj RC guy. He is known to answer his callls. haha
Unread 09-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #2405
Rohdawg
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had a little luck by "chatting online" with them.
If you sit on their website long enough a chat box pops up and than you got 'em! Ask all the questions you want. They answered all of mine for the most part.
Unread 09-10-2009, 08:04 AM   #2406
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosinMe View Post
If I had somebody busting my balls over every little issue that they had with a $450 lift kit I probably would too.
Is this directed at me???

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #2407
Rohdawg
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADDOG516 View Post
Day 1 of install went pretty smooth got everything on front done, took so long because everything was stock and rusted on or fallen off..
Don't feel too bad. Mine took me a week working on it 3 to 4 hours a day. Mostly because I was by myself working in less than optimium conditions. But alot of it had to do with the fact that everything on my jeep was 20 year old stock parts that were nearly impossible to remove. Except the leaf springs....those shattered with one whack of the 5lb sledge. QUICK AND EASY!
Unread 09-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #2408
ROADDOG516
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok ALL DONE with the install!!! In review kit arrived fast, but was missing several nuts and fastners. Even though I bought the replacement spring bolt kit, it too was missing nuts, no big deal had to go buy them. Quality of major parts seems pretty good. The instructions are very vague and leave a lot up to interpertation, but thankfully after a few screw ups it wasnt to hard to figure out. As far as customer service for the help line I must of caught them on a bad day because first try put on hold then hung up on, second try had some very confrontational rep who said I wasnt missing anything (but was wrong as I double/triple checked, and third try basically got no info other than brief description from manual. Overall I would do it again and the finished product looks killer. The bonus is that I didnt know I had so much else to upgrade (ex. brake lines all rusted to crap, and brake drums worn out). So as a novice I would recommend this kit to anyone like myself looking for a good lift for the cash and for recreational use. Just be prepared with alot of PB and dont start on a weekend when you cant find backup parts. Also this is my opinion without an actual road test----have to finish up the brakes and get tires so I will give my 2cents after a month of use..
2013 JKU Sahara
ROADDOG516 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #2409
basestealer12
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i got my rc 4" about 2 years ago and havent noticed any sagging at all so far. and it only took me about 7 hours to install
basestealer12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2009, 06:12 AM   #2410
spshultz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have a couple of questions. My son and I are in the middle of installing the 2.5" lift kit.

Last night we managed to get the old rear springs out and the new ones in but have noticed two issues so far:

1. Not enough nylock nuts for the u-bolts. I have 8 u-bolts and only 8 nylock nuts and washers. How come they don't give you 16 nuts for the u-bolts?

2. I noticed that a bolt goes through the spring pack to hold it together. Then there is a nut on that bolt on the bottom of the spring pack that holds the pack together. When I put the u-bolts and spring pack "plate" on, the plate contacts the nut on the bottom of the pack. If I were to tighten down the u-bolt nuts completely there would be about a 1/4" gap between the u-bolt plate and the bottom of the spring pack because of this nut. Do I have to take this nut off? Wouldn't that cause the spring pack to fall apart? I'm sorry it's kind of hard to explain without pictures but on the old springs, the u-bolt plate butted firmly up against the bottom of the spring pack. With the new springs this isn't going to happen.

So far the shackle bolts were easy. It's the spring-to-frame bolts that we had to cut off with a 4.5" cutting wheel. Yowza they were on there good!
spshultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2009, 06:45 AM   #2411
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spshultz View Post
I have a couple of questions. My son and I are in the middle of installing the 2.5" lift kit.

Last night we managed to get the old rear springs out and the new ones in but have noticed two issues so far:

1. Not enough nylock nuts for the u-bolts. I have 8 u-bolts and only 8 nylock nuts and washers. How come they don't give you 16 nuts for the u-bolts?

2. I noticed that a bolt goes through the spring pack to hold it together. Then there is a nut on that bolt on the bottom of the spring pack that holds the pack together. When I put the u-bolts and spring pack "plate" on, the plate contacts the nut on the bottom of the pack. If I were to tighten down the u-bolt nuts completely there would be about a 1/4" gap between the u-bolt plate and the bottom of the spring pack because of this nut. Do I have to take this nut off? Wouldn't that cause the spring pack to fall apart? I'm sorry it's kind of hard to explain without pictures but on the old springs, the u-bolt plate butted firmly up against the bottom of the spring pack. With the new springs this isn't going to happen.

So far the shackle bolts were easy. It's the spring-to-frame bolts that we had to cut off with a 4.5" cutting wheel. Yowza they were on there good!

1) check the other bags for the front, my 2.5 kit had extra nuts in the others.

2) I ran in to this exact problem. I used my air impact gun to "press" that nut into the plate hole. Personally, what I would do, is drill the spring plate hole a bit bigger for that nut. You cannot remove it, because, as you said, the spring pack would come apart.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2009, 06:55 AM   #2412
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think that the nylock nuts go on the U-bolts. Did you buy the new hardware pack for the springs? The spring bolts should use the nylock nuts and I believe that the U-bolts get lock washers and normal nuts. As for the spring packs, you might have to drill out your U-bolt plate so that the nut sits inside of it. the holds it center just like if you install shim the bolt in the springs will hold the shim centered.

Hope this helps.
Djsthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2009, 08:42 AM   #2413
spshultz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys! I checked all the boxes and no extra nuts. So I went to Lowes this morning and got some more nuts and washers. $20 worth of nuts and washers and we are back in business. We are headed out to finish it. Hopefully we can get it done before the rain starts.
Unread 09-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #2414
spshultz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

And we're done! But.... the darned brake lines are just about tight and the drive shaft vibrates really bad. I can't go above 30 mph. I did not expect to need extended brake lines with a 2.5" lift. Anyway, this thing sits muuuuuch higher. The 235's on it now look tiny. I am really excited. More so than my son I think. Ha!
Unread 09-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #2415
Rohdawg
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had to put a transfer case drop kit on mine. The guys at RC we're surprised I needed it but mine vibrated right at 30 mph also. The tc drop fixed all that though.

Tags
lift , review , rough country , suspension , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.