Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rough Country New and improved!!!!!

290K views 3K replies 592 participants last post by  jeepyj13 
#1 ·
Alright I started this post so I can get a feel of what you guys think about our YJ kits, I know that in the past we had leaf spring problems but we have gone to a different manufacturer and they are giving us a much better quality spring. Let me hear the good, the bad, the ugly. I want to be the link that will let us know what the YJ community thinks we could improve and what you want in a kit.

Feel Free to email me at ans@roughcounty.com or rchase@roughcountry.com:thumbsup:

#559 ·
I bought the 4 inch lift kit last september and also bought a 1 inch body lift and now my 33 inch tires rub in the rear when i have anyone sit in the back seat just driving around. I have also noticed from looking at pictures of when my jeep was finished just how much the lift has sagged over the short time. My lift only has around 2500 miles on it because it is my second car and is really only used in the winter to get to school. It has only been off road maybe once a month and was never abused when it was offroaded. I am very satisfied with my lift other than that problem. The jeep rides just as nice as my friends does and he paid double the price for the same size skyjacker lift.

when did the new style leaf springs come out? if i bought my lift in september of 2007 did i end up with the new or old springs?

#561 ·
Alright, now i'm pretty set on an RC lift... But should I go with the 2.5" or the 4" :confused:? Probably around 85 to 90% of the driving is going to be on-road, since I'm commuting to college, but I'm looking for some performance as well. I didn't want to go much bigger than 31's for sake of re-gearing and much worse mpg... I also wanted to make sure both lifts were "plug-and-play" sort of speak. What else am I going to need?

Thanks for the help guys!

#568 ·
RoughCountry....

Can you PM me the info on a 2.5 inch lift for an '95 YJ with the Nitro 9000 shocks and black boots, shipped to Vermont (05465).

Do the springs have a shim for the spring perches to angle the rear end up?
Also, please clarify the kind of warranty on the springs as far as sagging?
I have read most of this thread, and have seen many posts about it. :confused:

I'm anxious to get an order by this Friday, so the bottom line from you is crutial, (I do like the members disount!). :thumbsup:

#569 ·
RoughCountry....

Can you PM me the info on a 2.5 inch lift for an '95 YJ with the Nitro 9000 shocks and black boots, shipped to Vermont (05465).

Do the springs have a shim for the spring perches to angle the rear end up?
Also, please clarify the kind of warranty on the springs as far as sagging?
I have read most of this thread, and have seen many posts about it. :confused:

I'm anxious to get an order by this Friday, so the bottom line from you is crutial, (I do like the members disount!). :thumbsup:
You have a PM

#572 ·
I would like to apologize to $300xjwith250k He sent me a PM about a warranty issue on a shock and somehow twice it fell through the cracks between my desk and the shipping floor, how I don't know exactly what happened but I am very sorry. I hand shipped they shock myself today with a small gift in the box (I hope you can use them). Again I try to handle each matter as quickly as possible and my job is to make sure the customer is taken care of and I will do that. PERIOD.

#573 ·
4 inch RC kit Installed September 1st...

rough height comparisons

a little flex, swaybars and track bar still connected

up on a hill

yes these are all poser shots but they were taken the day we finished the installation. it was frustrating as hell because all my stuff was rusted on, but i had no problems with the rough country kit itself. so far it's been a month and i'm satisfied. I just wish i would have gotten the longer brake lines because these extended bump stops the kit came with are massive. That's my fault though, i didn't even think about it.

#577 ·
Thanks. I think it was Jason (x121) who sold me the lift and tires/wheels. I was the guy he thought wasn't going to call back because I took almost a week to call back to finalize the deal. So if Jason's reading this, thanks! You guys are running a good business.

#575 · (Edited)
So now that I am puttin on the 2.5" RC lift, I was planning on adding these RE anti-sway quick discos. They are the 8" extension set, which is suppose to be the right size? Ryan please chime in on this!

I will be photographing the whole install this comming weekend to generate an Installation Guide with photos for this forum. Stay tuned for the results, I will be posting it here, with step-by-step for those of you sitting on the fence.

My undercarrage is fairly rust free, so the results will be easy to see. I have another question though. I have 1 3/4" extension shackles, will this be too much for this lift, and will they cause my warrenty to be voided? I am now worried about this kick-back thing I have been reading...

My before lift install, notice the shackles: :confused:

After the 2.5" Suspension Lift:

#576 ·
I have a 4in rc lift and its been great so far but also my boss just bought an 86 grand wagon and we installed the 2in rc add-a-leafs on it and it to really improved the look and rode great thanx again rc keep up the good work

#582 ·
ok so i just read all 39 pages (WHEHW LOL) and was wondering all who are running the 4" kit and 4.0L manual with 3.07 gears. Are you guys regearing or what? I posted a seperate thread about this and everyone pretty much told me don't even think about putting 33" tires on unless your gonna regear. Who here has regeared and who has left stock? This is the biggest reason why i am leaning towards the 2.5" kit instead of the 4" kit lots more money to regear.

#583 ·
I'm not running their lift kits, but I do have 2 YJ's with 4.0L/3.07's & 33's on. Like me, you're here in flat Florida. It's a lot less than a desirable setup, but you'll be okay. Get the 4" lift (that you really want!) and re-gear later. "Settling" for less lift than you really want is a huge mistake, IMO.

My '91 will not maintain RPM's in 5th gear, but my wife's '93 will, and in fact it will even accelerate okay in 5th. Depending on how "tired" your engine is will probably be the most determining factor on that.

#585 ·
Given that info, it would be an easy decision for me. Go with the 4" lift, regear later, and don't look back! :thumbsup:

#588 ·
No, I'm not going to start cannibalizing my other vehicles for the jeep. :nono:

Also to stay on topic, I'm not sure if this has been brought up before but Rough Country got 4 wheels/tires and the whole kit to me in a couple days time. Very quick. I believe they shipped same day or early the next day.

#591 ·
I am looking at the RC 2.5" and 4" lift for my YJ. It currently sits on 31's and would be riding these for a while. It sees a lot of street use being a daily driver and i dont want to compromise drivability when im not playing in the mud. Can anyone show me a side shot of a yj with 31's and a 2.5 / and a yj with 31's and 4 to help me make my mind up?:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.