Rough Country New and improved!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Country New and improved!!!!!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 03-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
Rough Country
Vendor
2002 WJ 

Rough Country New and improved!!!!!

Alright I started this post so I can get a feel of what you guys think about our YJ kits, I know that in the past we had leaf spring problems but we have gone to a different manufacturer and they are giving us a much better quality spring. Let me hear the good, the bad, the ugly. I want to be the link that will let us know what the YJ community thinks we could improve and what you want in a kit.

Feel Free to email me at ans@roughcounty.com or rchase@roughcountry.com

Rough Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
YJ_Aaron
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If we have one of the old "saggy" kits anyway we can get new springs? I put a 4" on my room mates YJ 18mos ago and he's got MAYBE 2" out of it. It's been wheeled 10 times or less and maybe 500 miles on it.

http://ozarksjeepthing.com/c/index.php
YJ_Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
Yeepin
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Exactly i bought the 2 inch springs for the front of my yj and here we are not even a year later and there back to stock form. COMPLETELY FLAT! Jeep sags forward (alot) because i have 2.5 inch pro comps in the rear and they held up 10 times better.
Yeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have no hands on experience, have never ridden in a RC lifted YJ, have never touched your product..ect...

This is what i know about your product from months of reading on just about every 4x4 site imaginable, you either get a good lift or a bad lift. The springs will either sag quickly (12-24 months), or they will last just as long as any other lift. And the main thing i read over and over is the ride quality is pretty rough.

Honestly i could care less about the ride quality of a $450 4" lift, as long as it lasts for a decent amount of time.

I will end this with a reiteration, i have no hands on experience with your product, and i have only what i read about it.
--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
jeepyj027
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 4" kit on my yj and while i wont complain about the ride even though it is a little rough, Mine has noticably sagged. My 32's are hitting the fender flares way before i'm at full flex.
4" Rough Country lift
33x13.50x15 tsl's on 10" steel wheels
Red Jeep Club #448
jeepyj027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #6
Corpse Kid
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just bought the 4 inch YJ kit and was told the new springs are made in canada now not overseas so they are alot better. I have not installed my kit yet it is still sitting in the garage. But i really hope it does not sag like the stories I have heard. I do have to tell ya the customer service was great.
Corpse Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2008, 07:44 PM   #7
danthman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

my springs sag too. i should have bought something else. now if i can talk the dealer into giving me new springs. it was a 4" on paper but in real life its like a 2.5
danthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

well, i will be the firt to say this...
well done rough country!
sounds like you know you have a blemished reputation, and are trying to address the problems you have had.
i did have a 4" rc kit, and predictably, it sagged.
one thing i will say though, your customer service was second to none! new leaf springs were shipped to me in a hurry, thanks guys.

i hope that you can sort out the quality controll issues you have had in the past, your kit represented excellent value for money.......untill they sagged!

good luck

martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2008, 08:31 PM   #9
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

That is the main reason I went with Rubicon Express, I had heard that it was hit and miss with the Rough Country lift kits. Some people would swear by them and others wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

That's not to say that there hasn't been unsatisfied Rubicon Express customers or sagging spring issues, however paying more for a product that will be more consistant in its' quality is generally not an issue with most consumers. Especially considering that many of us install our own lifts, and swapping springs is the last thing I would want to do on my day off.

However, I will say that from everything I have read, your guys' customer service is second to none
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #10
Rush1184
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am looking for a lift, but the reviews have made me not consider rough country. Even my local shops told me to steer clear, and pointed me towards BDS. I personally am looking at OME, but the 2x price over RC would make me reconsider RC if the new springs are reportably better (less rough and stronger, from people on JF), and have a lifetime warrenty to make me feel confident that if they do sag I will get new ones, then yea, for half the price I may seriously consider them.

That said, if you want to ship me a kit with the new springs at a really nice discounted price, I will install them on my stock rig and report to everyone here how they are doing.
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Green_Jeep_Club"][I]New Green Jeep Club[/I] - Member #2[/URL]
1993 YJ Green/Spice - 6cyl 4.0L AX-15
2x KC Daylighters on windshield hinges, front hooks, rear shackle, 20' strap, shovel, saw, tools, air compressor, etc.
--------
FOR SALE:
- Set of 4 used 33x14.5r15 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted HP Tires on Alloy Rims (5 on 5.5 bolt pattern).
- 2x white 6" KC Stone Guards (NEW)
(PM me if interested)
Rush1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #11
RicksYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I need new rear lift springs. And I was thinkin about rough country. But I dont know I will read more posts before I change my mind.
RicksYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2008, 09:10 PM   #12
plaidfro
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have not owned any RC Leafs... but after reading hundreds of posts about how they quickly sag, I have most certainly looked at other brands for my leafs. Hopefully RC can improve their quality... prove to me that there is a definate change in their products quality and I would most certainly look at RC as an option.
plaidfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2008, 09:29 PM   #13
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would pick up a kit tomorrow if i heard from a reliable source that the new manufacturer is supplying higher quality gear.
--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2008, 10:20 PM   #14
The_Duke
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The first kit I got had alot of problems. First, the incorrect harware was sent with it and the replacement hardware that I got was incorrect as well.....but I was able to piece it together and ended up with enough correct bushings etc, to complete it between the 2 hardware packs. I did get the second hardware pack in a very timely manner once I contacted you guys.

After I got it installed, I discovered that I got less lif out of them with 5/8" lift shackles than my old RE lift with stock shackles. I did get new springs from you guys and installed the rear ones, which are 100% better than the first set. I have not gotten around to replaceing the front packs yet, but expect them to be alright as well.

In my opinion, the ride quality is night and day better than Rubicon Express. My RE lift had a horrifically stiff ride. The RC lift is extremely flexy and has a good ride as well.

I would buy your lift again, Thanks RC!!
'95 YJ, 4.0L I6, 4" Rough Country Lift, Warn Floating Axle, M.O.R.E. Boomerang Shackles, 33x12.5 Kuhmo M/Ts, 9500 LB Warn HS9500i with synthetic line and 7500 LB Winch, Hi-Lift, KC Daylighters, OBA, K&N High Performance Intake System, Tube Steps, and an Aussie up front.

1998 XJ Limited Sport - Stock....for now.
The_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2008, 06:55 AM   #15
dream911tommy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

bought mine in oct, just bent a leaf when i flipped my shackle in woods, called up ended up getting stuff at cost and threw some free stuff in, everyone i talk to seems like e top notch guy
dream911tommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift , review , rough country , suspension , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.