Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rough Country New and improved!!!!!

290K views 3K replies 592 participants last post by  jeepyj13 
#1 ·
Alright I started this post so I can get a feel of what you guys think about our YJ kits, I know that in the past we had leaf spring problems but we have gone to a different manufacturer and they are giving us a much better quality spring. Let me hear the good, the bad, the ugly. I want to be the link that will let us know what the YJ community thinks we could improve and what you want in a kit.

Feel Free to email me at ans@roughcounty.com or rchase@roughcountry.com:thumbsup:

#1,560 ·
Thanks, I miss the TJ (other then the 2.5L) but sold it to get a dd/tow rig. I'm hoping to have the new front bumper on this weekend and help my buddy out with his xterra. Pics to follow.

4" isnt bad, bad I know I can do it on 2" or less ;)

Not me but some good pics of the area/trails.

http://www.4x4freedom.com/bobcaygeon.htm

everything from stock to rockwell buggys with front and rear steer.

#1,561 ·
Id love to build a buggy one day.

Id most def. say you could do it with 2.5 lift. There is not much left of your YJ to cut off anyway! lol

Maybe comp cut the rear.

#1,564 ·
They wont, and there are annual inspections here to boot (jeep woundnt pass as is due to wheels sticking out). But I am hoping to be posted back to Onatrio this summer. Case of beer to the mechanic and your inspection is done (as long as there are no actual safety issues) no questions and its a one time deal.

As for the highway traffic act in Ontario all it says about covering road spray, so as long as its dry, you are good. I had tubes on my TJ with no flare and 31s and 33s in the winter and never had a problem (even when pulled over for speeding).

But, the YJ isn't daily driven so I'm not too concerned about Ontario since it won't be on any major roads unless I'm dragging it behind my truck.

#1,566 ·
I love the look

Old TJ on 33s,

my YJ (waiting to get pulled over)

back on track, I think I'm going to go with boom shackles in the spring and see how that works for now, maybe a 2.5" kit in the future though

#1,568 ·
Not sure, I always ran cable. I toasted it though after running it for over 2 hours straight without stopping (end of day turning into night attempting to recover girlfriends brothers minivan that he drove down an unopened road with lots of snow)

#1,569 ·
I think Im going to get a Smitty Built one, not sure yet. Hopefully I can work more during summer break and get some cash again. lol

Any one running the RC sterring stabilzer?

#1,578 ·
Brad, you are the only one of these nuts that refers to me buy my...I dont know...maden name I guess? :laugh:

I have a ton of nicknames. I should start a "Get to know Barrio" thread. lol

#1,588 ·
I'm sure he will (I hope?), all I really need is the long leaf. Other than that the rest of the spring is in solid condition. Shipping one leaf versus a whole pack is a big difference too.
Although, I guess it is the leaf with the 'eyelet' in it... hmmm

#1,589 ·
Ryan (or Barrio :laugh:)

I just got my axle shims & there is a slot on them from the narrow part to the hole. Does that slot go up or down?
Also I'm assuming I add the shims to the bottom of the axle bracket where the smallest leaf wedge is?

Am I correct?

#1,590 ·
haha.The shims should have been attached to the springs. the pin should hold it in, I will try to get a pic. up to show you better. Im on my buddys I phone and this is weird.

#1,591 · (Edited)
I bought additional 2.5 degree shims from RC since my 2 angles were off a bit much. Now I've got to install them tomorrow.
The leaf pack did have a really big thick 5-6" long wedge on it about 1/2" thick, but I guess I need more.
I'm hoping not be have to buy an SYE kit right now. I want wheels & tires 1st!!
:rofl:

#1,595 ·
You got a pm if I did it right? haha.
The beer is flowing down smoothly now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.