Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rough Country New and improved!!!!!

290K views 3K replies 592 participants last post by  jeepyj13 
#1 ·
Alright I started this post so I can get a feel of what you guys think about our YJ kits, I know that in the past we had leaf spring problems but we have gone to a different manufacturer and they are giving us a much better quality spring. Let me hear the good, the bad, the ugly. I want to be the link that will let us know what the YJ community thinks we could improve and what you want in a kit.

Feel Free to email me at ans@roughcounty.com or rchase@roughcountry.com:thumbsup:

#3 ·
Exactly i bought the 2 inch springs for the front of my yj and here we are not even a year later and there back to stock form. COMPLETELY FLAT! Jeep sags forward (alot) because i have 2.5 inch pro comps in the rear and they held up 10 times better.

#4 ·
I have no hands on experience, have never ridden in a RC lifted YJ, have never touched your product..ect...

This is what i know about your product from months of reading on just about every 4x4 site imaginable, you either get a good lift or a bad lift. The springs will either sag quickly (12-24 months), or they will last just as long as any other lift. And the main thing i read over and over is the ride quality is pretty rough.

Honestly i could care less about the ride quality of a $450 4" lift, as long as it lasts for a decent amount of time.

I will end this with a reiteration, i have no hands on experience with your product, and i have only what i read about it.

#5 ·
I have a 4" kit on my yj and while i wont complain about the ride even though it is a little rough, Mine has noticably sagged. My 32's are hitting the fender flares way before i'm at full flex.

#6 ·
I just bought the 4 inch YJ kit and was told the new springs are made in canada now not overseas so they are alot better. I have not installed my kit yet it is still sitting in the garage. But i really hope it does not sag like the stories I have heard. I do have to tell ya the customer service was great.

#8 ·
well, i will be the firt to say this...
well done rough country!:cheers2:
sounds like you know you have a blemished reputation, and are trying to address the problems you have had.
i did have a 4" rc kit, and predictably, it sagged.
one thing i will say though, your customer service was second to none!:thumbsup: new leaf springs were shipped to me in a hurry, thanks guys.

i hope that you can sort out the quality controll issues you have had in the past, your kit represented excellent value for money.......untill they sagged!

good luck

martin

#9 ·
That is the main reason I went with Rubicon Express, I had heard that it was hit and miss with the Rough Country lift kits. Some people would swear by them and others wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

That's not to say that there hasn't been unsatisfied Rubicon Express customers or sagging spring issues, however paying more for a product that will be more consistant in its' quality is generally not an issue with most consumers. Especially considering that many of us install our own lifts, and swapping springs is the last thing I would want to do on my day off.

However, I will say that from everything I have read, your guys' customer service is second to none :thumbsup:

#10 ·
I am looking for a lift, but the reviews have made me not consider rough country. Even my local shops told me to steer clear, and pointed me towards BDS. I personally am looking at OME, but the 2x price over RC would make me reconsider RC if the new springs are reportably better (less rough and stronger, from people on JF), and have a lifetime warrenty to make me feel confident that if they do sag I will get new ones, then yea, for half the price I may seriously consider them.

That said, if you want to ship me a kit with the new springs at a really nice discounted price, I will install them on my stock rig and report to everyone here how they are doing.

#12 ·
I have not owned any RC Leafs... but after reading hundreds of posts about how they quickly sag, I have most certainly looked at other brands for my leafs. Hopefully RC can improve their quality... prove to me that there is a definate change in their products quality and I would most certainly look at RC as an option.

#14 ·
The first kit I got had alot of problems. First, the incorrect harware was sent with it and the replacement hardware that I got was incorrect as well.....but I was able to piece it together and ended up with enough correct bushings etc, to complete it between the 2 hardware packs. I did get the second hardware pack in a very timely manner once I contacted you guys.

After I got it installed, I discovered that I got less lif out of them with 5/8" lift shackles than my old RE lift with stock shackles. I did get new springs from you guys and installed the rear ones, which are 100% better than the first set. I have not gotten around to replaceing the front packs yet, but expect them to be alright as well.

In my opinion, the ride quality is night and day better than Rubicon Express. My RE lift had a horrifically stiff ride. The RC lift is extremely flexy and has a good ride as well.

I would buy your lift again, Thanks RC!!

#15 ·
bought mine in oct, just bent a leaf when i flipped my shackle in woods, called up ended up getting stuff at cost and threw some free stuff in, everyone i talk to seems like e top notch guy

#17 · (Edited)
First let me say I think it is awsome that you guys are coming here looking for input on your lifts from the people that actualy use them.
I have the RC 4" lift for my YJ It's a little over a year and a half old (maybe 2 years can't remember). The lift has sagged horribly all 4 springs are sagged. The front passanger spring actually rests on the bumpstops the others I'm sure will be very soon. I have done no heavy wheeling just sand or dirt a few times so nothing that would cause the springs to flex more than regular road wear and tear. No complaints about any of the other lift parts just the springs. I actualy like the ride (it's a little stiff but it's a YJ I don't expect it to be smooth) just wish it still stood at the same hight it did when the springs where installed.
It is good to hear you guys have switched to a better spring I guess time will tell if they sag as bad as the old ones. Your definatly headed in the right direction looking at this forum for input. Deffinatly alot of guys here with RC lift experiences.

#18 ·
When did you guys switch to the new springs? Wondering if I got the new ones or the old ones.

#21 ·
ive been riding your springs for a year now and havent had any issues with them. i dont mind the stiffness of the ride as it is a jeep and if i wanted comfort ida bought a mercedes. as for sagging, i havent hit the magic number of months on the jeep in order to see the sagging. I will be sure to let you know after it does sag though. I was missing a few bolts but nothing a trip to lowes couldnt solve for 10 bucks.
overall good product

I have never used your customer service line, but i have definetly heard great thigs about it from this forum

i would buy from your company again

#22 ·
I will be in the market for a lift in a few months and after doing many searches on this subject I don't think I am going to take the gamble. Like what was said by someone else before the last thing I want to do is change spring a few months down the road and then gamble again.

starr

#23 ·
I installed a RC lift about 6 months ago and was extremely happy with the installation. I was a 1st timer and the instructions were very helpful and everything went together without a problem. I have since noticed that the rear springs are really sagging. It looks like the front of my YJ is now sitting higher than the rear. I was starting to look at some of the threads to see if anybody else was having the same issue. I'm not sure if I have a faulty set of springs or if I need to replace them with another brand.

#24 ·
I give RC a huge two thumbs up:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I bought an older RC 4" lift around 2001, had many years of decent service from it. About 4 mos ago I noticed it had lost about an inch and the RR spring about 2 inches.

So on a whim, I wrote RC (Ryan,, Rough Country on JF I think) and asked about their warranty. The springs have a lifetime warranty, and with no fuss at all and super good customer service, Ryan sent me out a brand new 4' kit. Bushings, the whole works. Had it in four days. I didn't have a receipt due to it being so long ago, they simply looked me up in the system.

The new springs they sent are 10x better than the originals, they flexed like mad on day one and have a much smoother ride. The quality of the kit, right down to the bolts is vastly improved.

Best kit on the market for the price. RC has me as a customer for life now, between the value of the kit, the great customer service and ease of doing business with them.

I highly recommend the product.

#28 ·
Good job turning around! I had always heard about the excellent customer service, but the questionable quality. This has made me seriously consider RC when I do decide to get a lift kit!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.