Rough Country lift problems?? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Country lift problems??

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 10-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #31
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

One of my XJ's has an RC 4.5". If your budget allows for a better spring, go for it. If not, I won't preach down to you for buying an RC. I had a couple of problems which they took car of. I just don't like spending an evening swapping out a leaf srping when I could be having an adult beverage.

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $ = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

https://www.facebook.com/CentralILOffRoad

http://centraliloffroad.com/
turpehar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #32
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have had RC for about 3 to 4 years now with zero sagging or complaints at all. I just put new shocks on about 3 weeks ago (bilstiens 5100's) but not a single problem with the springs. My jeep certainly rides better than my daughters 04 TJ with BDS coils on it. I also pull this trailer from time to time with various things on it. Just got back from 250 miles with this 4-wheeler. I am not saying that these are the top grade, best money can buy, but I certainly would not knock them for the price and what I have gotten out of them so far.

I say to each their own.. After all we are not building Limo's here.

3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #33
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have a ProComp 2.5in lift. The PO had it installed at a shop so its a good, tight lift. I would not recommend either rough coutry or porcomp though. You dont get the great lifetime warranty many other companies have (even though pro comp lists it has a lifetime warranty). My springs have not sagged, but my shocks are in need of a replacement. The PO paid around 700 for this lift I believe. I am finally getting it to decently flex and ride a bit better. If I could do it all over, I would go for a BDS lift. Lifetime warranty, great reputation and only a couple hundred dollars more. If you are really tight money wise, I might look into Zone offroad. Theyre affordable but from what I hear, the springs are made by BDS.
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #34
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsipe007 View Post
I have a ProComp 2.5in lift. The PO had it installed at a shop so its a good, tight lift. I would not recommend either rough coutry or porcomp though. You dont get the great lifetime warranty many other companies have (even though pro comp lists it has a lifetime warranty). My springs have not sagged, but my shocks are in need of a replacement. The PO paid around 700 for this lift I believe. I am finally getting it to decently flex and ride a bit better. If I could do it all over, I would go for a BDS lift. Lifetime warranty, great reputation and only a couple hundred dollars more. If you are really tight money wise, I might look into Zone offroad. Theyre affordable but from what I hear, the springs are made by BDS.
RC has Lifetime

Unread 10-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #35
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everjeepin View Post
Jeepyj13, They have an easy replacement policy shocks is a easy swap out process have them replace the shocks! And your back on the road and beat them up!
I called them a month ago about the shock policy. They came up with some bs "Oh we dont warranty shocks over a year old sorry." I call them again and see what happens.
Unread 10-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #36
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepyj13 View Post
I called them a month ago about the shock policy. They came up with some bs "Oh we dont warranty shocks over a year old sorry." I call them again and see what happens.
I am quite sure shocks are not lifetime covered.

Unread 10-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #37
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I understand RC has lifetime. I just mean you need proof of purchase and its not lifetime like BDS...

BDS isnt cheap but my experience with their warranty is great as for Rough Country and Pro Comp... not so much
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #38
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have no issues with mine. I softened up the rise by removing the rear track bar and re-torquing the shackle bolts.

But there are better springs out there.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #39
1987heepYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

18 months on a 4" rough country lift on a YJ used as a daily driver, no sag yet.
1987heepYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #40
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet a 1 poster with a 18 month positive RC review. Nothing fishy about that i suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #41
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have the Rough Country 4" kit on my YJ, installed in 2009. The springs currently sit at 2" of lift.

After offroading for a few years, the sagged springs ride pretty good, so I just put a body lift on for more clearance, and swapped the springs front and rear. The rear springs sag faster on mine, I guess it's because on the trail most of the weight is on the rear end on climbs. Its sits pretty level now.

If I was going to put new suspension on, I would run BDS, Old Man Emu, or Rubicon Express. I would go with the 2" lift, and add a body lift for clearance or just cut the fenders. I think more arched springs like the 3" or 4" lifts would really hurt the ride. When my RC springs were new it drove like a bus.

No matter what you do, put boomerang shackles on the rear. You will hate life until you do. The flex and ride is so nice with booms.

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #42
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

saggy bent leaves and shocks that explode. im still running their new setup leaves because they're not broken yet and i have too many other things to fix first. but i did replace my shocks with MX-6 adjustables
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #43
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
I have the Rough Country 4" kit on my YJ, installed in 2009. The springs currently sit at 2" of lift.

After offroading for a few years, the sagged springs ride pretty good, so I just put a body lift on for more clearance, and swapped the springs front and rear. The rear springs sag faster on mine, I guess it's because on the trail most of the weight is on the rear end on climbs. Its sits pretty level now.

If I was going to put new suspension on, I would run BDS, Old Man Emu, or Rubicon Express. I would go with the 2" lift, and add a body lift for clearance or just cut the fenders. I think more arched springs like the 3" or 4" lifts would really hurt the ride. When my RC springs were new it drove like a bus.

No matter what you do, put boomerang shackles on the rear. You will hate life until you do. The flex and ride is so nice with booms.
just out of curiosity how do booms help your ride? when you think about it its still a straight line from hole to hole, the shape doesnt really matter. booms were invented i believe to avoid issues clearing the rear crossmember
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #44
modfox
1995 YJ Wrangler 

9 months on my 4"RC.

Bent a spring the first time I wheeled it. That was them being on a month. RC replaced no questions asked. Just needed to see pics.

But now I have a 1" sag on drivers side. And can't seem to get them to replace...
modfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #45
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
just out of curiosity how do booms help your ride? when you think about it its still a straight line from hole to hole, the shape doesnt really matter. booms were invented i believe to avoid issues clearing the rear crossmember
Yeah the rear crossmember is the issue, with the 4" lift springs and stock shackles my springs would bottom out on the bumper bracket on the frame. I had very little compression before the spring would bottom out. Once it bottomed out, it was like the rear axle was bolted directly to the frame. It was neat, whenever you hit a bump, everything inside the Jeep would jump a few inches off of the floor, and then crash down

With the boomerangs, the axle can compress to the bumpstops and not bottom out. Also mine give 5/8" of lift which is nice, and have zerks. So it is easy to keep them greased and smooth, and I don't have to put the Jeep on jackstands and uninstall the shackles to grease them.

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
rough country , rough country 4" lift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.