rough country body lift problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rough country body lift problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Grand Cherokee Tie Rods & Adjusting SleevesJeep Grand Cherokee Grills

Unread 03-14-2015, 12:37 AM   #1
bergovoy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

rough country body lift

hello,

I got my body lift done today. it was much easier then I expected... all the bolts came out without any struggle or issue.

my only problem is instructions based...

I think the instructions should have had us loosen the radiator early on so as to not get the blades bound up.

the other issue is the front/center bushing...it seems like the bolt is way too long? and the 'crush sleeve' doesnt fit...

the bushing inner hole diameter is smaller then the crush sleeve? so where does the crush sleeve go?

the bolt length is so long, that is sticks up thru the inserted nut, (under the radiator) and into the metal radiator support.

the radiator bump stops that came with the kit, are kinda 'tight'... the body is resting on them, I had to jack the body up just to get the body stops in place...

it seems like the center front bushing that came with the kit is short...

but, it looks like the one in the instructions...

I'm not sure if I did something wrong, (probably), or if there is something wrong with the kit...

Any help will be appreciated..

Unread 03-14-2015, 12:51 AM   #2
bergovoy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

ok, after re reading the instructions, i can see that I was supposed to loosen the shroud from the radiator first, to avoid binding.. hehehe.. makes sense.

second.. was I supposed to drop the radiator, or drop the shroud? I dropped the radiator and shroud. not sure if that is a problem or not.. will look at it tomorrow...

but still can't figure out why the center bushing/bolt is wrong...
Unread 03-17-2015, 05:55 PM   #3
bergovoy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

rough country body lift problems

hello, I installed the Rc 609 body lift kit on my jeep over the weekend... everything went well, (as far as stuck bolts/nts) but, I had a different problem... and I am dealing with Marty at Rough Country, who is very helpful and seems to understand what I am dealing with.. but, has indicated, (what I already kinda figured out), that I am having a UNIQUE problem, as they sell many many kits with no other problems like mine.

anyways...

the problem is all surrounding the FRONT/CENTER bushing... and because of that, I have found that there are two versions of this kit, and two versions of the instructions...

My kit and instructions, (match each other), but conflict with the information posted on RC website for this kit.

the differences involve the 'identification' of this FRONT / CENTER bushing... i.e. in my kit, that bushing is UNIQUE and identified as LOCATION 3....in the website information, that location is the same bushing as LOCATION 2.. that is, that bushing is the same as the four bushings in the rear of the jeep...

my UNIQUE bushing is 'shorter', then all the others... and it has a different ID...

the problems are, 'kinda predictable' at this point.... the bolt for that location is NOT shorter... so if I thread it tight, the threads of that bolt stick up and impact/hit the center of the radiator core support grille... *(by about 3/4")

also the ID of that bushing will not allow me to use the 'CRUSH? SLEEVE' that came with the kit.... if I use the crush sleeve, it will 'touch'/cut/pierce the rubber/poly material of the bushing... as the sleeve is a bigger diameter, then the ID of that hole...

also, with that front / center bushing being shorter, means the radiator core support is now resting on the bump stops which are compressing against the new radiator core support brackets... compressing so much that the rubber is deformed and no way to pupt a feeler gauge between the bump stop and the new support bracket.

anyways, this issue is still being worked upon by marty at RC.. and Im hopeful he will get the info tomorrow...

but, maybe you guys have discovered this previously and figured something else out...if so, please let me know...

I think my options are, to get a taller/higher bushing for that front/center location... and that it will fit into the location, (the rear bushings, are taller, but they also have a rubber/poly 'nipple' that extends down into a hole in the frame mount...(just like the bushing that I got), BUT the difference is that those nipples are bigger, OD, then the hole on my front frame support...

I am not sure if it will or wont fit.. as I didnt measure it.. but what i do know, is that the bushing I used is smaller, and it fit kinda close.. no wiggle room, (but it wasnt tight either)... and the other bushing's nipples were noticeably bigger...

I can enlarge the hole with a reamer, or file... and that maybe the fix...

anyways, here are some pictures... hopefully someone has an experience that can help...
drivers-side-bump-stop-radiator-core-support.jpg   center-bushing-below.jpg  
center-bushing.jpg

center-bushing-top.jpg

Unread 03-18-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Did you call and ask? That is one issue I've never heard of.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2015, 07:32 AM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like even their body lifts sag...

"Whiskey is for drinking, Water is for fighting over" - Mark Twain
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2015, 07:46 AM   #6
bgredjeep
Web Wheeler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Is that sleeve attached to the washer? That should drop down through the top of the frame mount and the spacer sits on top of it from what I can see. You should also have a piece similar to the original body mount that goes on the bottom. When you are finished it should look like a normal body mount. Doesn't look unique, just not put together properly.

*edit*
I had to jump on my PC to get a better look.

Comparing yours to the instructions, it looks like you should have a washer on top of the spacer. That may be the original body mount bushing like was shown in photo 6 for the side mounts. That sleeve is definitely not correct on the bottom. Also, I can't make sense of how a 4" bolt is supposed to work in that location. I'd get the mount together properly and just cut the excess off the bolt.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2015, 02:24 PM   #7
bergovoy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

hello? anyone have any ideas or suggestions.

I am trying to confirm the dimensions of the bushings and the fr core support bracket... (the bump stop adapter)

my bushings are about 3/8" difference... with the front bushing being the shortest....

the rear bushings are fully torqued/compressed... the front bushing is not under any torque so the difference maybe more.

lifitng the front of the jeep 3/8"" will proably help with the clearance issue at the fr core support, but it will not alleviate the problem with teh bolt sticking up into the grille
Unread 03-18-2015, 07:58 PM   #8
bergovoy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the sleeve is there acting as a spacer... in essence, shortening the bolt... I would be glad to get rid of it if I had a shorter bolt...

but, why does the bolt need to be shorter, on my jeep and not others?

the other question is, if I do cut or get a shorter bolt, then the bump stops on the side of the radiator core support/grille arent really 'functioning' properly... normally, the rubber bump stop should be JUST a tad bit above the metal bracket.. or even barely touching... right now, the rubber bump stop is very compressed... so, if I do get any 'flex' in the rear bushings, then the front of the tub wont be able to deflect that motion...

again, the issue is why is my jeep unique? is it MY JEEP? is something I did wrong? are the parts in my kit correct?

so far the instructions have been inconsistent and wrong...

so, normally, if I were Rough Country, and sold tons of these kits without another incident like this one, I would assume that the customer, (me), did something wrong? fortunately, they havent expressed that yet... but if they did, and if they had information and instructions on how to fix it, then I will be the first one to say and admit that I did something wrong.

but, except for that crush sleeve (as a spacer), everything is installed per the instructions, as far as I can tell
Unread 03-18-2015, 08:48 PM   #9
bgredjeep
Web Wheeler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
Comparing yours to the instructions, it looks like you should have a washer on top of the spacer. That may be the original body mount bushing like was shown in photo 6 for the side mounts. That sleeve is definitely not correct on the bottom. Also, I can't make sense of how a 4" bolt is supposed to work in that location. I'd get the mount together properly and just cut the excess off the bolt.
Nothing?
Unread 03-18-2015, 09:41 PM   #10
bergovoy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
Nothing?

im sorry, did I not answer your question?

I should have put another washer on the bottom between the bolt head and the spacer... but I didnt have one... I didnt torque that bolt to minimize the bolt head from getting sucked in and or crushing the spacer../sleeve. whatever it is

this is a temporary fix... because that bolt is so long it will pass / thread thru the embedded nut and up into the front of the radiator grille

one of my pictures shows the top or TIP of that bolt sticking up about 3/8" and stopping short of the grille by about 1/4"... if I don't use that spacer/crush sleeve thing, then the bolt will stick up / thru the embedded nut and HIT the grill, and then the entire bushing assembly will be loose as I won't be able to tighten the bolt...
Unread 03-19-2015, 01:18 PM   #11
bergovoy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

more updates.

btw, if anyone has a 1" body lift on their wrangler, i would appreciate seeing some pics of the front center bolt and bump stops... you don't need a RC lift kit.. any lift kit would be helpful.

as for my status. Rough Country, rep, MARTY is still working with me diligently... although the answers are still kinda pending.

the latest suggestion is for RC to send me shorter bolts for the front center location... which I will gladly try.. but Im not sure how that will affect the bump stops on the radiator core support...they are still 'compressed'...

Im not sure if Ican just remove the bump stop extension things or not...(if I do, it will allow about 3/4" of travel before impacting the bump stop...)

if I can remove those bump stop extensions, and get a new bolt, then I think everything will be solid and workable... but I wont understand why my jeep is UNIQUE in that the kit doesnt work for me
Unread 03-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #12
bgredjeep
Web Wheeler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just add a couple washers to make up the difference. Sure you shouldn't have to, but it's not a big deal. A few washers and a shorter bolt and it's job done.
Unread 03-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #13
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm irritating with my jeep. I'll take a few pics in a sec

Unread 03-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #14
bergovoy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm irritating with my life, although that makes me tense...... Hehe

Yea, I have no problem with adding washers or bolts. Actually they are sending me bolts, but like I suggested earlier, I would love to rule out that I screwed up something somewhere else
bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2015, 01:13 PM   #15
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here's mine
image.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.