Rough Country 2.5" lift install/write-up..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Country 2.5" lift install/write-up.....

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 11-20-2008, 09:53 PM   #1
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Rough Country 2.5" lift install/write-up.....

Well, this will be my first lift kit install and thought I would do a write up. It will be filled out over the next few days as I finish up the install.

One word of advice, DON'T DROP AN AXLE ON YOUR HELP UNTILL AFTER YOUR DONE, not before.

Ok, for now, some before and during pics:

note the inverted rear springs

front bumper height, before:

And one of where she sits now after I dropped the axle on my brothers arm:

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Rusty, just got my 4" RC kit in the mail. I'll be doing mine over Thanksgiving break (can't wait).... but I guess there's no need for a build thread on mine. You already beat me to it. I'll be watching this one for problems you run into.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Yep, I hope to do a full review/write up including an "tools needed" list after I finish up tomorrow.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 11-20-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Tomorrow! Wow, you're a hard worker. Mine has been taking a month! ha ha, but I'm away at school and only get a few hours on Saturdays to tinker with it. Like I said before, waiting for Thanksgiving break where I have a full 3 days (hopefully) of uninterrupted work. Of course, mine is getting an 8.8 rear, D30 out of a 95 4-cyl up front, SYE, SS brake lines, steering stabilizer, new clutch, rear main seal, and Pacesetter headers. Everything is a mess in my Father's garage! Plus I'm not a master mechanic.... just a weekend warrior who's so anal I measure everything 5 times before cutting.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Unread 11-20-2008, 10:59 PM   #5
RandysYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am putting my 4" RC on my bare frame in the morning. Woulda been done today except the spring bolts do NOT want to come out... so I shot em with PB but will probably cut them. Looks like you already have more luck than I do.
RandysYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2008, 06:05 AM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandysYJ View Post
I am putting my 4" RC on my bare frame in the morning. Woulda been done today except the spring bolts do NOT want to come out... so I shot em with PB but will probably cut them. Looks like you already have more luck than I do.
That is because I started with cutting them. I have all new bolts. So I said screw it and broke out the grinder with cutoff wheel. FYI, expect to use up one every two bolts or so. At least I did.

Unread 11-21-2008, 06:10 AM   #7
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hey rusty, you used the same image twice up there.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2008, 06:13 AM   #8
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandysYJ View Post
With a 4" kit you'll be putting on a dropped pitman.
If your stock pitman is still in good shape will you send me a PM?
I know someone who did a manual steering to power steering conversion and is in need of one.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2008, 08:30 AM   #9
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

Good luck on the install. I want to see total lift gain with your kit, since I forgot to measure mine before and after... :-P
Unread 11-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #10
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_YJ View Post
With a 4" kit you'll be putting on a dropped pitman.
If your stock pitman is still in good shape will you send me a PM?
I know someone who did a manual steering to power steering conversion and is in need of one.
If his isn't in the best shape you can have mine.
Unread 11-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #11
Rough Country
Vendor
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Well, this will be my first lift kit install and thought I would do a write up. It will be filled out over the next few days as I finish up the install.

One word of advice, DON'T DROP AN AXLE ON YOUR HELP UNTILL AFTER YOUR DONE, not before.

Ok just to make sure......I need to wait until im done with the kit to drop the axle on the arm of my helper....ok I think I got it....
Rough Country is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #12
jbrentd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This all looks so familiar. Mine is in a similar state right now and I'll be off all next week to work on it.
Unread 11-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #13
92yjokc
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Rusty I would say you should be in good shape to get it done in a few hours since you are cutting the bolts off but like you said above you forgot to hurt him after you got done, it might take alittle longer. It took two of us two nights at about 4-5 hours a night to get my 2.5" on. Had one stubborn bolt and only a sawsle to cut it off so it took about an hour on that. Good luck you will be riding high after the lift. My springs weren't as bad as your and I got a total 4-5 inches out of the lift. My front bumper was at the exact same height as yours and not it sits at 23 inches off the ground. good luck and be careful!!!
92yjokc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2008, 07:21 PM   #14
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

OK kit is on and the jeep is home. WOW was this night and day for ride quality, you will see why in a bit when I get the thread organized. I have major vibes but that could be due to the net gain of 6" in the rear and a bit over 4" in the front. An SYE is gonna be in order I belive.

More to come gents.

Unread 11-22-2008, 12:00 AM   #15
Exparrot
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem when I installed my BDS. Try the t-case drop instead of the SYE until the springs settle a bit. My problem almost disappeared when my springs settled down to real close to the 2" promised on the springs.

No sense in dropping big bucks if you don't need it. BTW, what size lift shackles?
LO Jeep Club #111 [and not proud of it]
Red Jeep Club #MC399
Exparrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.