Rough cold idle blues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough cold idle blues

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 03-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
bluedaffy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Rough cold idle blues

So when I first start my YJ for the day (4.2 w/ 32/36 weber), she jumps right up to 2000-2500 rpms and runs smooth for a few seconds and then starts to hiccup and become rough. Then when she is fully warmed the idle is nice n' low around 600-700 and smooth. No complaints about driveablilty or warm idle... just the cold start with the choke engaged. she's nuttered...

Anybody know what may be happening?

bluedaffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
bluedaffy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Anybody? Is it rich or lean? Am I turning the key the wrong way? Starting it with my left hand instead of my right?
bluedaffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have a feeling the choke isn't letting off quickly enough. But I'm not a Weber expert. Some other guys here are, I'm trying to recall their names. Old4x could certainly help. Mcmud is the total expert. Take a look at this thread and ask them:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/w...-issue-1308982
Unread 03-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Put a voltmeter on the wire running to the intake manifold heater. If the relay or fused burnt up it wont power on and it'll run rough until warmed up.
tslroper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cold start , hiccup , idle , mixture

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.