Rotting aluminum AX15 casing, ever seen this before? With pictures. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rotting aluminum AX15 casing, ever seen this before? With pictures.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Alheim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Rotting aluminum AX15 casing, ever seen this before? With pictures.

Hey folks. I'm in the midst of a 4.0 swap, and while I'm at it I'm replacing the seals on my AX15 & transfer case, as well as swapping over to an external throwout bearing setup.

Anyway, on the bottom of the transmission, on a area that is normally covered by the transmission mounting plate (the 'torque plate'), I found a spot on the aluminum casing that was rotting / corroding away. Once I removed the torque plate I lightly chipped away at the aluminum until I had removed all of the flaking, then wire brushed the spot.

The corroded spot:

This is on the bottom of the AX15. Here you can see it relative to the rest of the transmission and transfer case:

I've never seen aluminum do this before. Any thoughts? How thick is the trans casing at the spot? Anything I should do to stop further corrosion?

Thanks for your time.

Alheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Aluminum does corrode. And that spot there may hold salt and crud. Sand it down with some aluminum oxide sand paper and clean then paint with some good paint. That area would have already cracked if it was thin. So you got lucky enough to catch it.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Alheim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks.

I suppose I knew aluminum can corrode but haven't seen it to this extent before. You're right, this was in a spot that had a ton of dirt & salt wedged in there, between the torque plate and the transmission.

Any paint suggestions? At the moment I only have Duplicolor primer & engine paint on hand.
Alheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Jeepsr4me

Get some self etching primer, after that what ever color you want.

I seem wings on aircraft have worse corrosion than that, on the inside structural member.!!!
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

kinda looks like some one had heated that up with torches at one point for what ever reason

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

can you get a closer, clear photo? that looks like something has been rubbing, or someone melted it. can't tell from the distance though. weird??
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum , ax15 , corrosion

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.