Rotor seizes when tire is torqued. What the? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rotor seizes when tire is torqued. What the?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 05-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Rotor seizes when tire is torqued. What the?

Just installed a new caliper and rotor. Everything fit fine and is properly torqued. Everything moves perfectly, until ......... until I put on and torque down the tire. As soon as I tighten down the lug nuts everything locks up. Help?

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

New rims?
Unread 05-13-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

almost certainly the wrong rotor. The old vs newer style have a different offset so it's probably jamming against the caliper. Compare the two. The difference is obvious but not so much if you see them separately
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #4
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
almost certainly the wrong rotor. The old vs newer style have a different offset so it's probably jamming against the caliper. Compare the two. The difference is obvious but not so much if you see them separately
I had this problem when I swapped out my 87 axle for a 95 axle. Figured I put the wrong rotor on so I put on the more shallow rotor. My caliper locked up and cause a fire so I got a new, loaded, caliper and new rotor for a 95. The new rotor is the deeper rotor. I *think* I have the wrong dust shield on. Working on getting the wheel bearing off now. After the caliper fire, the wheel bearing is being a pain to remove. Planning on replacing that as well. JIC.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Unread 05-14-2014, 05:38 AM   #5
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Update:

Installerous moronicous strikes again. When I swapped out my '87 axles with 3:07 gears for '95 axles with 3:73 gears, I decided to use the wheel bearings from the '87 axles because they were cleaner. Last night I pulled the wheel bearing to remove what I thought was the wrong dust shield. Since I kept the bearings from the '95 axles, I compared them. Yup, the '95 wheel bearing is a different height than the '87 wheel bearing. Sometimes I could just smack myself at my level of stupidity for not checking the first time.

Unread 05-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

its ok man, who would have thought the same axle would have different bearings on the same model of jeep
Unread 05-14-2014, 02:40 PM   #7
ROWA

1994 YJ Wrangler 

It's a JEEP you got to expect the unexpected.

The best Engineering is no match against natural Stupidity.
ROWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #8
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Rebuilt the passenger's side and checked out the driver's side while I was at it. Everything is much better now.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.