rotated D44 axle with a 4in lift emergency brake problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rotated D44 axle with a 4in lift emergency brake problem

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 02-13-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
vortexflow2010
1991 YJ Wrangler 

rotated D44 axle with a 4in lift emergency brake problem

Hi,

I have a YJ with a Dana44 and 4in lift. the axle had to be rotated about 30-45 deg to line up the shaft.

the problem is that the E brake cable is too short.

I am wondering if I can rotated the drum brake backing plate by 90 deg to resolve the problem.

I have not taken a look at the unit yet to see if it is even doable.

Does anybody here knows if this could be done and if not what is the typical solution of the E brake?

vortexflow2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 03:35 AM   #2
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Ahhh, 30-45 degrees to line up the shaft ? Assuming your talking about the driveshaft then you have more issues hen just the e brake.

Any pictures ?
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 04:42 AM   #3
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Tips

1) Fill out your Jeep Profile, in detail, especially for the non-stock parts, like the Dana 44

2) Post pictures, as recommended
Unread 02-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #4
vortexflow2010
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I attached a photo of the Jeep. I will attach more on the axle setup later.
Its worth mentioning that the axle is on and it works. It is just that the previous owner left the E brake lines hanging. Getting longer E brake lines seem to be difficult and I am left with one of two options.
- make my own using what ever cabling hardware I can find without braking the bank.
- Try to rotate the drum brake backing plate by 90 deg (if possible).
jeep.jpg

Unread 02-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

While sitting static, if they just reach when you rotate the break mounting plates what happens when you go to wheel your jeep? If you want a suspension that works you need longer cables. This is another thing that SOA threads tend to leave off.
Unread 02-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
vortexflow2010
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You are right about the static vs extended.
rotating the plates( if it works) will only solve one problem of not having the e brakes warped around the axle.
Where do you get longer E brake cables.
-Is there a car model that would have a longer E brake lines that would fit a Jeep?
-Do you buy an E-brake lines and make your own?
Unread 02-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #7
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I first made my own. You will notice that the rear passenger-side is longer then the driver-side. I took the passenger-side and put it on the driver-side. I then welded two different outer sleeves together and replaced the cable itself to make up the rear passenger-side. When I did an axle swap I then went with a Lokar kit.
Unread 02-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #8
vortexflow2010
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That sounds good.
where did you get the longer cable from?
is there any car that has the same cable end (axle side) as the Jeep that you can easily swap?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.