Roof Rack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Roof Rack

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
SSRx7
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Roof Rack

I was pricing roof racks for my hard top and discovered something. If they were made of gold, they would be cheaper, because they must be made out of unobtanium.

New Yakima racks are over $300 new, and not much better on craigslist. In fact finding a decent roof rack at all on the cheap is not easy so I looked for an alternative.

My wife has a 95 Grand Cherokee with a factory roof rack. I looked at that and figured it would work good. So I found one on craigslist for $40.

I got it and having previously measuring the length of it, I cut 14 inches from the front end of each rail. The angled end caps slide off and you have to trim the rubber base as well. An air powered cut off wheel worked perfect for this.

The factory torx screws that came with the rack are not long enough to go through the fiberglass hard top, so I went down to the hardware store and bought 10 1/4 x 1" stainless steel allen drive button head screws, 20 1/4 lockwashers, 10 1/4 nuts, and 10 1/4 x 1" flat washers. I also bought a role of putty tape, found in the plumbing section.

I measured and squared up the rack on top of the jeep and drilled 10 1/4" holes. Then I lay down a 5 foot length of putty tape for each rail (The RV industry uses this same exact stuff for sealing in anything bolted or screwed to the exterior rv walls and works great). I then put a lockwasher on each screw and pushed it through the drilled holes. I then put a short piece of putty tape on the back side of each flat washer, then another lock washer and finally the nut. As you tighten each nut it will press the putty into any gaps and also squeeze out from under the washers and the rails, for a great water proof seal.

It was extremely easy, and now all I have to do is find a good cargo basket..... or make one.
Hope this gives you an idea for your rig.

Bill

SSRx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
robert-yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Now that's a great idea! I will defiantly try this when I get a hard top in the future!
robert-yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Did the same, got mine off a 95 cherokee or something of the sort. Same deal though. Worked out perfectly.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I did one from a '00 Rodeo.
Unread 03-13-2014, 04:44 AM   #5
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i was going to use an xj rack but decided i never would carry anything up there.

great write up though. some people will definitely use it as they do carry stuff
Unread 03-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I saw a guy use a older Nissan Xterra rack that came out nice. I guess the question is how do you support it underneath? I would not expect the fiberglass roof to like too much pressure on four little points, i'd be concerned about it pulling out at higway speed.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #7
RATBASTIRD
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Can you post up a pic of what it looks like from the interior?

I've been waiting for the warmer weather to start so I can get starting on making mine.
I was going to use a rack from a Ford Explorer and put a small basket.

Purpose isn't to carry anything more then 40lbs total...Burley trailer for the kids, sleds, other kid crap that doesn't fit inside.
Unread 03-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #8
SSRx7
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Reno72, The Grand Cherokee rack has rails that lay on the roof, and there are five bolts on each rail about a foot apart for a total of ten bolts. My hard top is off a CJ and is very strong and thick compared to some YJ and later hardtops that I have seen It is at least 3/8" to 7/16" thick, and double layered. I used 1" flat fender washers. It's not going anywhere, and the rails distribute the weight over the whole roof along near the sides where it is thickest and strongest. Other that rolling the jeep, which would probably break the roof anyways, I don't see it coming loose at all. I can grab one of the rails from the side and hoist myself up, and I'm 6'!" and 260lbs.

Ratbastird, I will post some pics up shortly.

I was actually thinking about getting 2 pieces of 1" flat iron about 5' long and bolting them inside to sandwhich the fiberglass, and also to build some over head interior racks for CB/ storage and such, but I don't know yet. It is much, much stronger the way it is than I thought it would be.
I can sit on my hardtop and it doesn't give at all. A friend of mine has a newer YJ and I was looking at his, and it looks like the top was built in sections. You can see seems all over the inside and on the out side between the side window and the door opening. Mine has no seams whatsoever.
Unread 03-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
SSRx7
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here are some pics of the finished rack:
From the back:

Front end:

Side from front to rear:

Interior bolts close up:

Interior bolts in a line I couldn't get all of them in one shot):
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Really nice. So the Cherokee rails conformed to the curvature of the CJ top? Do they happen to have the same curve, or do they just match the curve as you tighten them down?
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #11
SSRx7
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Grand Cherokee and they were very close... Within 1/4 - 1/8 inch.
Unread 03-13-2014, 10:16 PM   #12
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good, Yakima makes a really nice basket that would attach to the cross rails. They are pretty expensive new but if you check Craigslist you can find a bargain, I sold mine on there for $200
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #13
SSRx7
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm looking for a bigger basket, about 62" long by 48-50"wide. Walmart. com has one for $109 + $35 shipping, but it is a screw together one. I may end up making my own out of 1/2" square tubing.
Unread 03-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #14
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just one question.... Whats a hard top?

Nice mod...
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 04:05 PM   #15
SSRx7
1988 YJ Wrangler 

A hard top is one of those things used to put roof racks on.

Thanks.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.