Rollover Statistics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rollover Statistics

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 02-25-2004, 09:28 AM   #1
Six Shooter

Rollover Statistics

A guy I work with claims that Jeeps have one of the highest rollover rates in the nation. I found this profound comment rather interesting because that was the first I had heard of this. Other vehicles rolling over yes. Jeeps, No. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has a web site that shows this kind of stat. I did a search on Google, but found everything but what I was looking for. I can't speak for any of you, but my Jeep corner's rather well, and I have yet to be concerned about pushing it to hard around a corner. Lifted Jeeps perhaps have more of a risk due to a higher center of gravity, but even that I wouldn't want to speculate on. I sure would like to put this person in his place as he has a tendency to blab out this kind of crap on every subject. Thanks

Six Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2004, 10:32 AM   #2
chuck148

Not sure if this will help or not but found it on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/ncap/SUVs.cfm

Jeeps don't seem to rate to high, but my opinion is user error. Another thought is whether you consider off-road rollovers (that would obviously increase the number).
Ok, one more thought - how do they rank as far as deaths/major injury per rollover with other SUVs. Any vehicle can rollover, but which lets you walk away?

Just tell him he is jealous cause he doesn't have a jeep

chuck.
chuck148 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2004, 10:41 AM   #3
pdw

I think alot of what he said is what is known as "Urban Legend."
Otherwise the government would have made Jeep change the design.
Remember what happened to the Suzuki Samuri?
pdw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2004, 12:58 PM   #4
Six Shooter

He is simply one of those know it alls, that doesn't. I was thinking if the Jeeps where so bad that they would be in the news more about this kind of thing. Funny thing is this guy has a Ford Explorer, which if memory serves me, has been in the news for this problem. Ford of course blamed the tires. Thanks for the wewb site.
Six Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2004, 01:04 PM   #5
MR.CJ-7

People always say to me "oh jeeps are so dangerous they roll over so easy" I usually reply something like "I know what you mean...I have to chain mine down in the garage every night to keep the d**n thing on its wheels."

In all actuality they can be dangerous if used improperly/irresponsibly, but to condemn all vehicles as a group is a sign of ignorance.

Just my humblest of opinion though! Now I'll go back to my CJ forum.
Unread 02-25-2004, 01:10 PM   #6
hole_in_the_mud

The CJ's suffered from this bad rap. Most of it unwarrented. This is partly why the went to the wrangler wheelbase. It got them somewhat away from the urban legend.'

Isuzu sort of had the same problem as did the Sami's. Unfortunately they didn't quietly let the press die out. They screamed and yelled it was the tires, or the testers or the adolecant teens behind the wheel. Sales dried up fast. Took them both a bit to recover.
Unread 02-25-2004, 01:34 PM   #7
bdj428
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That's an interesting link. Looks like you would be more likely to roll over in a Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Avalanche, Chevy Blazer, Ford Expolorer, GMC Yukon, Land Rover, Montero or the Nissan Xterra, (all with a safety rating of 2 stars) than you would a Jeep Wrangler (3 stars).
bdj428 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2004, 01:54 PM   #8
Brock

I drive a 4x4 Ford Supercrew as a dd and it is a lot more unstable in crosswinds and quick turns than my lifted CJ. That rep came from the old CJ-5s with V8 that would flip if you were really trying to flip them, that or the high school girls who drive TJs and wreck them.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2004, 01:59 PM   #9
79cj360

half my friends have chevys with 6 inch lifts in em on 35's and my jeep feels more stable. i have 6 inch in my cj with 35'sand i dont fear flipping at all.
turbo 350
12 inch lift
39.5's
np 208
re quick disconnects
rancho shocks
cutom driveshafts
snorkel
14 bolt rear
international dana 70 front w/closed knuckles

" damn modification bug bit me hard, so im bittin back!!"

"Go mud or go home"
79cj360 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2004, 02:17 PM   #10
heathen3226

i actually read in a magizine somewhere that toyota pickups have the highest rollover stat. and this is the reason they are moving to lower body styles in their new tacomas. but who really knows...
-Heath
Unread 02-26-2004, 12:51 AM   #11
YJWOLF

jeeps used to be in the news all the time about rollovers, thats why when the YJ came out it came with track bars and an anti-sway bar.

Now adays i'd say it was driver error more than vehicle fault.
Unread 02-26-2004, 07:45 AM   #12
xxxflhrci

SUVs, pickups, vans or special purpose vehicles do not have to pass Federal rollover tests. That is why they put a label on the visor of all of these vehicles. Any of them "can" be rolled over on perfectly smooth flat pavement. It's just a matter of how hard you want to try. On the other hand, passenger cars must pass a rollover test. They cannot rollover on smooth flat pavement unless there is a mechanical breakage, ie...tire blows or similar.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2004, 12:30 PM   #13
Mcpheea

If I remember correctly, most of the media hype of the rollover-ability of the jeeps was derrived from the effects of warn body mounting bolts snapping during the execution of a "J" turn while exceeding 20mph, this was the CJ-7 (and/or 5???). This was added to by the reversioning of the military m-151A to the m-151A2 due to failing suspension components contributing to several rollovers when exceeding safe-speeds or loads (this was produced by Ford of course but was often misrepresented by the media as a Jeep)

I don't believe you'll actually be able to find legitimate public statistics on rollovers by specific vehicles at all due to so many other variables in registered accident claims. for any one to say Jeep has the highest rollover rates is just unqualified banter, around here I'd bet there are far more overturned 18 wheelers and salt trucks than any thing else... combined!
My ole' Yj has all the traits of a fine lady... Everything bad that has happened was always my fault and at least once every month it refuses to warm up for no apparent reason then of course it wines incessantly from the top end for several days.
Mcpheea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2004, 05:00 PM   #14
skid2964
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I used to have a '89 Wrangler with 30x9.5's on it. I was driving along at about 45MPH when a car darted right in front of me and stopped. I had no time to brake and only could jerk the wheel to the left then back to the right to keep from killing every body in both cars. The action I took is what you would think a stunt man would do to purposely roll a Jeep. Well it skidded sideways with the tires smoking. My wrangler never once even felt like it was going to tip over. I am a firm believer that Jeeps are not prone to rollovers... at least not the '87 and newer ones. I know earlier Jeeps had more inboard springs and higher centers of gravity. But you have to mess up real bad to flip one!

cars can flip to!

This young girl claims she was doing only 5MPH, right!

skid2964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2004, 09:02 PM   #15
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I feel more comfortable in my Jeep than in many cars. My Jeep handles exit ramps at near 70 without a problem. Lifted and not. Here are some links..The second one shows that your buddy's Explorer is at higher risk for rollovers than our Jeeps.

http://www.suvrollovernews.com/html/general.html
http://www.safecarguide.com/exp/rollover/idx.htm

Craig

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.