Rolling my own lift, opinions needed! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rolling my own lift, opinions needed!

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
shadowulf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Rolling my own lift, opinions needed!

Hi all,
I posted this earlier in the "Write up request" thread, so I appologize for reposting.

I'm looking into "rolling my own" lift kit for my YJ. What I'm needing is a parts and tool list.
I'm trying to do a low center of gravity (LCOG) type of rig for desert exploring.

I'm figuring on using old man emu heavy duty front springs on all 4 corners.
I have 5/8" lift boomerang shackles that are greasable.
I'm looking into a good, less expensive shocks to use, are the procomps es9000 worth a dang?
New u-bolts and bushings are needed.

What else is needed?

Thanx

Unread 09-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

ive never bought a "lift kit" and always do my own.

id do:
- 2" springs
-standard length shackles
-semi/flat skid
-sye/ DC shaft combo
-32" mud terrains
-aussie front
-stock rear
-extended break lines
-warn 8000 winch
-co2 tank
-water

the 9000s are junk. the main thing is to rework your shock mounts so that you can allow for more travel. this will allow you to use a longer shock. id wouldnt skimp on shocks. so far my favorite standard unit is the 5150s. if you have to skimp the 3000s are fine. i grew up exploring deserts in a cj. dont need a cage, big tires, big axles etc. what you need are traction, water, and a way to get out when you have neither of the previous. teach your kids to drive it even if they are technically too young. was taught when i was around 8 so if anything happened to dad i would survive.
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
shadowulf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Cool, I am leaning to getting the Bilstiens, but was trying to save a few $$$ if I could. The areas I go are a mix of high-desert, scrub-forest canyons, and alkali flats. I already planned (and have) a 8.8 for the rear.

My family often camped near Salton Sea, so the desert survival planning is almost instictive for me, and I have tried to pass it on to the kids.

any more opinions? come on all you desert rats and tumbleweed chasers, I'm looking for ideas.

Thanx again
shadowulf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

grew up in the anza-borrego.

good on the 8.8. that was a toss-up for me in terms of suggesting advice. ill sometimes suggest a mandatory swap and sometimes suggest keeping the 35 even with 35"+ tires. depends on what they do with it. plan to give-it-hell on the farm, then keep it and have a good laugh when it grenades. you have polar opposite expectations so reliability is key.

desert highlights:

-had lift blocks for our feet so we could reach the pedals.

-dad's motto, "fearsomely confused for several days but never lost."

-found a food cash in a lidded bucket wedged in a boulder patch. dad put a beer in it with a note that read, "here you forgot something vital."

-cj started to bog splashing our way through a river. (we always went solo. this was before the days of large armadas of highly prepared rigs.) brother said, "what's that on your forehead dad?" dad yelled over the 304's noise, "sure ain't water son!"

-watching our sandwich bread toast itself in the shade because to was so hot and dry.

-taking my son with my dad out and passing all this on to him. they like to think they are "rugged" but a lot of hawaii kids can be pretty soft when it comes to survival. there's no bears, rattlesnakes, there's always water and you can walk home in one day from anywhere.

miss the desert...
Unread 09-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

LCOG with lift and tires.

I use to run bastard pack 2.5" on 35s. Tube flat fenders up front, TJ flares rear (good cut). Custom front and rear bumpers with tire swing. And a Warn M8000 winch. Welded 8.8 rear and lock right in front HP 30... Loved that setup!
Unread 09-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

don't buy heavy duty springs... they don't flex near as good and ride 10 times worse!
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowulf View Post
I'm figuring on using old man emu heavy duty front springs on all 4 corners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
don't buy heavy duty springs... they don't flex near as good and ride 10 times worse!
The YJ OME HD's are an exception to the rule.

Plus, if he's loading it down for exploration type terrain, even better because they are designed to take the heavier loads & still flex outstanding.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #8
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post

Agree with Dillard here, if ya dont run them save the comments for what you know.....no offense Mcannon, OME are one of the best if not the best springs you can buy for YJs, for the money.... you can always go alcans or something but then $$ and even mixed reviews on those

I run OME HD 36R on all 4 corners, SOA, and I will put mine up againts any, it out flexes anyone else I go with easily by a long shot, and the ride is VERY VERY VERY nice......go this route, you will NEVER regret it, unlike those who do RC, going on 6 years I thihk wiht my OMEs

This was about 4 years ago when it was still SUA,

seems to flex not bad, it is SOA now, butstill flexes awsome

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
StealthItself
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i've never used pro comps, but i've heard from aplenty that they're pretty terrible
StealthItself is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

any leaf spring can be made to work well or not work at all. 90% install and maintenance. i have bds springs that arent springs at all, and i have a procomp set that rides like a tempurpedic.
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
shadowulf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis
-taking my son with my dad out and passing all this on to him. they like to think they are "rugged" but a lot of hawaii kids can be pretty soft when it comes to survival. there's no bears, rattlesnakes, there's always water and you can walk home in one day from anywhere.
I've learned over the years that there are many types and levels of "tough". Being an "old desert (b)rat", I could not stand the humidity and mosquitos of New England while I was there. Each place has its own challenges. But granted, the desert requires a certain "awareness" of your supplies and conditions.
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I high fendered my junk and found the clearance to be most helpful.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #13
shadowulf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Joe for the vote of confidence on the OME's. I figured that they would be the best choice by reputation. I've had superlifts, ranchos and bastard pack springs on diffent vehicles. None seem to have the following that OME has. Bds was going to be my next choice, but too many seem to like the OME's.

I guess I should also mention that this rig sees a lot of highway time, aswell as snow and ice. So a locker or lsd would would do better than a "hot stick spool". One of the people I work with uses a soft locker on his CJ with a truetrac up front. I was considering this combo or a pair of TT's at the ends.

I have wide TJ flares all around now. Planning on highlining or getting MC Overliners for the front fenders.

And I'm pulling the parts together to mount a warn 8274 I scored recently. I do love having a strong winch with lots of cable.

Thanks for all the input, I do appreciate it.
Are there any other shock choices that I should consider?
Unread 09-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

giggityjeepers pics are nice testament. that would get most people through their wheeling needs... minus the awful compcut.
Unread 09-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #15
shadowulf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis
giggityjeepers pics are nice testament. that would get most people through their wheeling needs... minus the awful compcut.
No kidding, twin 6hp+ motors throwing down on a synthetic line. Prolly get 7/8th line to sound like a banjo.

OOops, I thought you were taking about the twin motor 8274s that are used in winch competitions.
Sorry about that. I was posting from my phone and the pics had not come through
shadowulf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.