The rolling deathmobile buildup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The rolling deathmobile buildup

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-05-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
viper719
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The rolling deathmobile buildup

Well gents like an idiot I clicked on the TJ forum and posted this there, so time to fix this problem and start over here... (Stupid not-so-fat fingers clicked wrong button!!!)

This is the beginning of the rolling deathmobile buildup.
To start this buildup, Im using my 1993 YJ Sahara. It definatly needs some work done. Currently its got a 3inch body lift, and a 2 inch shackle lift from the PO. The guy tried to work on it some, bored over TB, a hesco TB spacer, KN Gen II CAI, and some other things, but he couldnt stay on top of the engine to save his life. Right now I get low oil pressure after the motor warms up, blows white smoke (doesnt smell like oil though) when it idles for a few minutes, loses a quart of dino a week, and Ive only seen the motor make it up to 210 once since I bought it. The top on the jeep was garbage, so Ive already ordered a new softtop, plan on going black on desert tan (the old girls going to get some new paint)
Ok, now we have the problems, time to list the plans.
1) Motor- either I am going to have to rebuild it, or grab a good one from the local YJ and rebuild that one while I drive this beast until I can change it out
2) paint, Im thinking a desert tan, possibly CARC if I can get some from DRMO on base
3) drivelive- the tranny is good, the T-case (np231j) has a leak at the slip yoke, probably going to tear it open and slap some new seals up in it, and possibly a SYE with some custom shafts
4) lift- ditch the body lift, local jeep place has a 2" superlift kit, full leafs not AAL's for 200$. with the shackles that will net me a full 4" of usable lift, instead of 3" of ghetto-fab lift, IMHO
5) Tires- currently running 31" Goodyear wranglers. Possibly swap to 31" KM2s?
Well the pics will be coming soon enough, just got to get imageshack to work right! Tell me what you guys think!

Unread 04-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
viper719
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok heres the link to my album, the tan jeep is the desert rat I built for a friend last year. Im thinking same color sceme for this one, as I like his paint job I did so well. Or possibly an OD green willies style paint job??
Pictures by kikendallmd - Photobucket
When I get to the actual tear down and work on it, Ill post individual pics on here, but for the time being this is a little easier!
Unread 04-05-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It looks pretty nice. I would

1. Swap in a fuel injected 4.0L?
2. I love the green sahara, leave it! And keep the top the spice color
3. Yes on the sye
4. Use the new leafs and shackles, cut the body lift down to 1"
5. 33" km2's

*edit* I'm confused to what it is in your album. Is it the tan sahara or the green one?

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #4
viper719
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Its the green sahara. The Tan is the 90 I built last year. The 93 (green) is the one that has the motor issues that this buildup is about
Unread 04-05-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ah. Then I would just swap in a junkyard 4.0L. It has a 4.0L right now? That will be an easy swap.

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 11:15 PM   #6
viper719
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, anyone know if the blocks on the 2000 4.0l were physically compatible with a 93? I have access for 500 for a rebuilt 2000 long block with the new style intake. How much stuff would I have to swap, I know alot of the sensors would get swapped, as would the exhaust manifold (since Im only running one cat)
Unread 04-06-2010, 02:08 AM   #7
sailmike83
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper719 View Post
2) paint, Im thinking a desert tan, possibly CARC if I can get some from DRMO on base
<3 DRMO, we got so much good stuff from them when I was teaching sailing at Norfolk, BTW make sure you make the most of your MWR opportunities while your in--learning to sail at NOB Nofolk would be one of the best things you could do.

PS: post some pictures of the beast
sailmike83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 07:55 AM   #8
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provinT13 View Post
1. Swap in a fuel injected 4.0L?
2. I love the green sahara, leave it! And keep the top the spice color
3. Yes on the sye
4. Use the new leafs and shackles, cut the body lift down to 1"
5. 33" km2's
You just described my YJ to the "T".

To the OP do as what was quoted and you'll be good to go.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #9
viper719
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, my new soft top came in today to replace my crapped out one. Went ahead (even though the weather today is gorgeous) and threw it on.. Supposed to rain on thursday. That thing was a pain!!! got to love having to get the material to stretch out the first time
Unread 04-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
viper719
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, my motor issue is about to be officially handled. Got myself a hook up inside my jeep club, he has a rebuilt 4.0 hes selling me and helping me install at his motor shop for a song and a dance. plus hes throwing in the newer (99+) higher flowing intake and TB for free... got to love friends right. So now, anything I should replace while Im down and dirty pulling the old block out? Give me a list to start getting now, so I can get my kit together
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #11
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Since you got the motor out I would definitely get a clutch kit. Also check the motor mounts.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #12
viper719
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thats one of the things myself and my fellow jeepers were talking bout tonight. Were going to go ahead and replace the tranny and t/c seals at the same time,with the tranny mount. Any sensors you would advise as well?
Unread 05-07-2010, 01:41 AM   #13
viper719
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, just got back from an extended underway, and now Ive got the next 10 days off. Time to do some work, tomorrows plans- complete fluid change, engine, tranny, T-case, diffs, and coolant flush with a new T-stat. more pictures to come. Did some work on it before I left, the pictures should be up in the photobucket account linked in the beginning of this thread. While Im working tomorrow, Ill be sure to get some good pictures for the buildup.... Got some plans for it, but their in the workings right now, as soon as I sell the XJ, expect some nice upgrades to come....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.