Rolled and totaled YJ - How much is it worth? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rolled and totaled YJ - How much is it worth?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 07-16-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
Bubbagump
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Rolled and totaled YJ - How much is it worth?

I was driving to work when I swerved a bit too hard and flipped over and totaled my jeep. I have liability only insurance so a pretty screwed but now I have to get a new car and fast.

Before I do that I need to get rid of the piece of junk. Should I part it out individually or try selling it as is. Here's whats bad:

Bikini top is torn

windshield is smashed

roll bar is toast

the engine wont turn over

the doors are also toast.

Luckily my hardtop wasn't on during the accident.

Here are some pictures.

Not really sure what to do. I can't really keep it in my driveway for months and months trying to part it out and there's not way I'd sell it to a junk yard. I feel like putting in on Chicagoland's CL to try and sell it as is. How much do you think I should ask? I have no idea whatsoever as I have never done this before.

Bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Parting out would be your best bet, as you will get more money that way. Problem is, it takes time. I parted out a '94 4cyl YJ a couple years back that was worse than your Jeep, had no interior, and a 4cyl with a hole in the block for almost $1300....and that's with me keeping the tires, rims, and front/rear axles.

$2-2500 would be reasonable, maybe a little more with the hard top, if you sold it as is. Like I said, though, id part it out. Remember, EVERYTHING on a Wrangler is worth something to someone!!
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
MikeS1605

Hell, lets start now. Im looking for a hard top for the winter months and im on the south side of Chicago. Id be willing to drive up to Antioch if the price was right for your hard top.

MikeS1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Honestly that doesn't look that bad. Have you tried to figure out why the engine won't turn over? Roll bar, windshield frame, hood, fenders.... all pretty easy to replace.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #5
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not seeing it.

Just keep driving it. It seems to have more character, and will really only need a better roll-cage system welded in eventually to make it a much better Jeep.

What ingress was there to the engine compartment that causes it to not turn over, or is this really some simple problem from the roll?

Running engines are only a few hundred $ from a junk yard if you think you actually damaged it.
Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
Bubbagump
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Honestly that doesn't look that bad. Have you tried to figure out why the engine won't turn over? Roll bar, windshield frame, hood, fenders.... all pretty easy to replace.
Maybe you're right and I'm jumping to conclusions to quickly. I should probably wait a few days to give it some thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS1605 View Post
Hell, lets start now. Im looking for a hard top for the winter months and im on the south side of Chicago. Id be willing to drive up to Antioch if the price was right for your hard top.

Hardtop is in fine condition. no cracks or anything serious other that the black paint has faded a bit. I'll keep your name down and PM you if I decide to part it out.
Unread 07-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #7
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Unless the frame looks like a pretzel, fix that puppy and drive it.

Bang the dents out and Monstaline the outside. Windshield frame and roll bar are a snap to change. Tub doesn't look pranged.

You can repair or replace the doors easily, or just pop a soft top on it.

There can't be much wrong with the engine, not enough damage near it.
Unread 07-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #8
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Still looks nicer than my Jeep. New windshield frame and pull the passenger fender out and rock-n-roll (minus the roll maybe).

It's only totaled if you file it with insurance and they deem it a total loss. Since you don't have coverage to even claim that accident w/ insurance it should still have a clear title.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #9
Professur
1992 YJ Wrangler 

How long was it over? Pull the plugs and see what spits out the hole. Might have knocked something like a crank position sensor or summat loose.
Professur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #10
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ya, I don't think it looks bad in the photos either.
Glad you are OK.

The engine photo shows a little oil on the underside of the hood. Since you rolled it, how long did it stay upside down? Since you say it won't turn over I would suspect oil in the cylinders could keep it from turning over- that isn't uncommon to hydraulically seize an upside down motor with oil. If the starter engages OK and the battery is still good I would pull the plugs and crank it to blow the oil out. If it cranks with the plugs out that is the first step.

I think it will cost far more to replace it than it will to fix it.
Unread 07-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #11
Bubbagump
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Fixing it seems tempting but I work so much that I don't have the time to do so. Thanks for your advice but I thin parting it out would be the best decision. Or at the least I'll take a few days to think about it.

Unread 07-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #12
Patton
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What gears are in the axles and does it have a SYE? The answer to those two questions really determines the parting out value a lot. How much rust? It may be so rusty that most of the parts will be a hassle to remove.
Unread 07-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #13
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you don't have time to fix it, you REALLY don't have time to part it out.
Just cut your losses. Sell it as-is to someone who wants parts or to rebuild it.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #14
Patton
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Without a running engine I doubt anyone would give you more than $1200 because I think you have pretty good wheels and tires. Obviously try and find a buyer separately for the hardtop. You could probably part it out for two or three times that even if you threw away less desirable and cheap parts.
Unread 07-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #15
Bubbagump
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I was able to turn the engine over and it runs fine. I'm still thinking of just selling it as is because as a previous poster mentioned I don't really have the time to part it out. But I'll still give it a few days to think over.

The jeep is a 2.5L AX5 5 speed with a 4.5 RE lift that was just put on. I installed the SYE kit myself and bought a professionally made rear drive shaft. It also has a 2" body lift and a bunch of other minor mods to it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.