Roll Over Valve? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Roll Over Valve?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
qlfarm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Roll Over Valve?

My YJ still stinks like gas (I have been fighting this for two years now). I have replaced the carb, charcoal canister, fuel lines, vac lines, dropped the tank and untold other "ideas" that I had to stop the smell. None of them worked. I am tired of my garage stinking of gas and my wife wants to ban the YJ to the barn.

In order to keep my beloved mistress where I can keep a watchful eye on her and keep the rodents from living in her.

I want to eliminate the roll over valve (whatever the thing is called on the passengerís side rear). I have looked for new ones and haven't had any luck.

If memory serves me right there are two vac lines from the fuel tank that lead to this thing. Can I simply connect the two lines together and eliminate this contraption?

See ya,

Skip

qlfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlfarm View Post
My YJ still stinks like gas (I have been fighting this for two years now). I have replaced the carb, charcoal canister, fuel lines, vac lines, dropped the tank and untold other "ideas" that I had to stop the smell. None of them worked. I am tired of my garage stinking of gas and my wife wants to ban the YJ to the barn.

In order to keep my beloved mistress where I can keep a watchful eye on her and keep the rodents from living in her.

I want to eliminate the roll over valve (whatever the thing is called on the passengerís side rear). I have looked for new ones and haven't had any luck.

If memory serves me right there are two vac lines from the fuel tank that lead to this thing. Can I simply connect the two lines together and eliminate this contraption?

See ya,

Skip
I'm unsure for you '90 model but I recall on my YJ there are 2 white vents on either side of the top of the tank. My vacuum hose was pinched and actually fell off. I replaced the hose with fuel line hose. Basically they are tied together with a tee vacuum connector and go to a metal line parallel to the fuel lines on the frame. It goes to the engine compartment where that vent line attaches to the charcoal canister.

I didn't recall having a rollover valve mounted up in my back corner panels (that I know of).

Have you check that you're getting vacuum to the canister and that it's hooked up properly?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Not a problem. You cant keep your mistress out in the barn, she will start to feel neglected...you don't want to piss off your Jeep!
Replace the rubber that goes over top too. This place has what you need:

http://www.mtscompany.com/jeep.htm
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
qlfarm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I looked at the MTS site; it just shows the cover; is that all you replace?

Can I just hook the two tank nipples together and see if that fixes the problem before I order yet another part that may/may not be bad? Will it run like that?

Canister has vac to it and is hooked up based on vac diagrams. I had replaced all of the tank hoses when I pulled it and checked the gasket when I first got the Jeep. I also replaced the fill/vent lines to the tank.
qlfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
89yjparrothead
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check the seal for your fuel level unit. I had the same problem and replaced the seal and was good to go. The unit is a rectangle on the top of the tank in the middle. Good luck!
Unread 01-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

dealer part #'s

valve = J5360058 $8.85
connector = 53004047 $24.25

There have been some recent reports of these being a little cheaper now.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #7
Cherokid
1989 YJ Wrangler 

roll over valve pricing at GET Jeep Long Beach Ca

Hey, just an add on to this thread. Been looking for this for about six months, used the above listed part numbers (thanks Jbolty!) and paid $11.90 for the valve and $11.75 for the connector. Valve was in stock, connector 1 day out. Swapped in no more leak. Thanks again Jolty for the part numbers.

Good Wheelin to you all,

Cherokid
Cherokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #8
bluedeval03
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlfarm View Post

See ya,

Skip
the roll over check valve is a dealer only item. I have spent many hours trying to find one online, always end up at dealership for one. Actually on my third one, two in the last 6 years. Seems quality is out the window for the rubber content on these as the last one dry rotted.
bluedeval03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.