Roll Cage add ons - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Roll Cage add ons

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-26-2010, 04:31 AM   #1
bignateb
2007 JK Wrangler 

Roll Cage add ons

I've been looking at a lot of forums and seen allot of pictures of Jeeps that have rolled on the highway or with some speed. It really seems the windshield is the weak point. What kits would you recomend to put in to solve this problem. I got a little baby girl that will be riding in the back so this Jeep has got to keep both of us safe, and it will be my daily driver.Garrett rolled the Marshtackie - My Jeep Club [IMG][/IMG]found this somewhere else. but with out those bars it would have been allot worse. One question is how strong are those brackets by the speakers?

bignateb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 05:17 AM   #2
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well if you look around the wind shield area of all vehicles are the weak part. That is the reason why most people that modify a roll cage in of road vehicles add around the wind shield area.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 05:56 AM   #3
bignateb
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thats what i'm asking, are there any good kits to buy, pros and cons of bolt on cage. Different brands better then others.
Unread 02-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignateb View Post
Thats what i'm asking, are there any good kits to buy, pros and cons of bolt on cage. Different brands better then others.
I'd be interested in a kit as well.
Subscribed.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

There are alot, From going to your local shop and having them make one custom, to "genright" SP? cage stanchions and components to add to your existing cage. I'll see if I can find some of the links from previous threads... I remember a debate about using either the stanchions or a tube direct to the floor. Big thing to remember is to use frame tie in underneath otherwise you are bolting a cage to the sheetmetal only.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/g...chions-941746/

[QUOTE=SnowdogMarc] YJ's don't get stuck....they get temporarily impeeded in their forward progress.[/QUOTE]

I'm patiently waiting for the "foot-in-mouth" moment to end... but since I've posted, its not today
YJhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
bignateb
2007 JK Wrangler 

Found this article from jpmagazine.com

Aftermarket No Weld Jeep Roll Cages - Stop, Drop, and Roll
No-Weld Cages for Jeeps.
May, 2006
By Christian Hazel
Photography by Courtesy of the manufacturers

No-weld cages for Jeeps
Why should safety only be for those with the capacity to weld? After all, everyone's head is equally crushable. Whether you're scaling an off-camber ledge with a slinky suspension or tooling down the highway at 65 mph, there's a chance something bad can happen and your Jeep will wind up on its roof. Your best safety bet is on a fully welded and gusseted rollcage that is tied into the frame or chassis structure. However, you can't discount the increased protection from a good, quality bolt-in cage. And depending on who is building your custom-welded cage, the bolt-in deal may even be stronger. Here are some of the cages on the market for Jeeps ranging from flatfenders to ZJs.

Rock Hard 4x4 Sports Cage
Vehicles Covered: All CJ-5, CJ-7, CJ-8, YJ, TJ, Unlimited, and XJ
Special Options:
Center spreader bars, seatbelt harness bars, extra bracing bars,frame bracket mounts to tie cage to frame (where applicable)
Tubing Specs: 1 3/4-inch, 0.120-wall welded seam tubing, 3/16-inch plate
Standard features: MIG welded, 5/16 clamp hardware, and all mounting hardware
Contact: Rock Hard 4x4 Parts, 308/750-4690, Rock Hard 4x4 Parts - Jeep

Toys by Troy Sport Bar
Vehicles Covered: YJ, TJ, Unlimited
Special Options: Front spreader bar, seatbelt bar, dash bar, rear spreader bar (weld-in)
Tubing Specs: 1 3/4-inch, 0.120-wall welded seam, 3/16-inch plate
Standard Features: Grab handles, mounts to cowl/dash ares, not floor so no legroom impediments, and mounting hardware

M.O.R.E. Sport Cage
Vehicles Covered: '79-'86 CJ-7, YJ, TJ
Special Options: Bolt-in center bar, padding kit, frame tie-in kit
Tubing Specs: 1 3/4-inch, 0.120-wall welded seam
Standard Features: "L" bracket windshield mount, mounting hardware, no drilling required, and shipped bare steel

Collins Bros. Jeep Factory Take-Outs
Vehicles Covered: All CJ, YJ, TJ, Unlimited
Special Options: Rollbar padding, sandblasting, repainting, reconditioning
Tubing Specs: Factory - varies from 2-inch to 2 5/8-inch
Standard Features: Rollbar take-outs and conversions using factory Jeep parts
Contact: Collins Bros. Jeep, 800/699-5337, Collins Bros Jeep Used Jeeps Parts and Accessories

Warrior Products Cab Cage
Vehicles Covered: TJ
Special Options: N/A
Standard Features: Mounts to cowl/dash areas, not floor so no legroomimpediments, black powdercoating, and mounting hardware
Contact: Warrior Products, 888/220-6861, Warrior Products Accessories for Jeeps | Off-Road Lifestyle Protection

Smittybilt Interior Tube Bar
Vehicles Covered: CJ-2, CJ-3, CJ-5, CJ-6, CJ-7
Special Options: Rear hoop bars available in several configurations, optional weld-in front hoop and spreader bar kit
Tubing Specs: 2-inch, 0.120-wall welded seam
Standard Features: Black paint
Contact: 4Wheel Parts Wholesalers, 800/284-9427, Tonneau Covers, Lift Kits, Winches, Leveling Kits, Tires, Wheels & Tonneau Cover Parts by 4 Wheel Parts

Poison Spyder Customs Helldorado Cage
Vehicles Covered: YJ, TJ, Unlimited
Special Options: Dash bar, upper-rear T-bar for rear passenger protection, upper-front T-bar for front passenger protection
Tubing Specs: 1 3/4-inch, 0.120-wall DOM tubing, 3/16-inch plate
Standard features: TIG welded, grab handles, black powdercoating, and 5/16 clamp hardware
Contact: Poison Spyder Customs, 303/777-4820, Poison Spyder Customs: Home

Rusty's Off Road In-Cab Rollbar
Vehicles Covered: XJ, Wagoneer, fullsize Cherokee, ZJ
Special Options: N/A
Tubing Specs: 2-inch, 0.120-wall welded seam
Standard Features: XJ bolts to seatbelt mount and floor with backing plate. Wagoneer/Cherokee version for two- or four-door, but rear kicker bar will block entry of rear doors in four-door applications.
Contact: Rusty's Off Road Products, 256/442-0607, Rustys Offroad

For the welding enabled
We didn't want to totally discount the enthusiast who has the ability to weld, but may not have the skills or time to cut, notch, and bend his or her own cage. Here are just a few companies that offer weld-in cages.
J&L 4-Wheel Drive Center: Combination weld and bolt-in YJ cage kit.
OR-Fab: Weld in 2-inch, 0.120-wall CJ cage kit. Contact: OR-Fab, 928/636-7080, OR-FAB Off-Road Products - Trail Tested Body Protection.
Poison Spyder Customs: Weld-in trail cage (retains factory rear) or full cage (replaces factory rear) for CJ, YJ, TJ, Unlimited.Contact: Poison Spyder Customs, 303/777-4820, Poison Spyder Customs: Home.
T&J Performance: Weld in partial, full, and race XJ cages.Contact: T&J Performance Center, 714/633-0991, T & J Performance Center 1002 w. collins, Orange, ca - 714-633-0991 - Offroad Suspension - Performance - automotive repair - Fleet Services.
Tennessee Off Road: Weld-in CJ, YJ, TJ cage.
Contact: Tennessee Off Road, 866/248-8638, TNOffRoad - Home.

OR-Fab Sport Cage
Vehicles Covered: YJ, TJ
Special Options: Floor mount reinforcement kit, overhead streamer bars, padding kit
Standard Features: Total bolt-in. No loss of legroom. Don't have to remove top to install. Standard kit mounts to Jeep cowl/dash area, not floor so no legroom impediments, and mounting hardware
Contact: OR-Fab, 928/636-7080, OR-FAB Off-Road Products - Trail Tested Body Protection
Unread 11-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
97flexy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good write up!
OR-Fab makes a bolt in kit too.
97flexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
mrspradlin
2013 JK Wrangler 

You might want to find a local fab shop and talk to them.
A buddy of mine owns a local fab shop and we added to my stock cage. We still want to add a few more pieces but we wanted to wait till I got my new seats and a few other items so we could find the best placement of everything.

The stanchions are from Gen Right and I do have the lower parts and have it tied into the frame.

I have a about 150 bucks in materials and about 8 hours labor.
Unread 11-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #9
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignateb View Post
. One question is how strong are those brackets by the speakers?
It would seem to me the pics answer that question. Only the upper section is bent and perhaps a tiny bit in that area. Of course, the pic looks to be a very severe roll, and most 'kits' are designed to work 'once', if you get the drift. As in your research, not all kits are created equal. The MORE and Smittys, ect., are just front 'add ons' and not full cages and some do not use DOM tube. Only if you pay a shop to build a custom full cage will you achieve max. protection. And of course, many of us go by our pocket book, too.
I have the PSC weld-in trail cage kit and it is, IMO, a very good mid price range kit. I can tell you the lower A pillar is beefy. In fact, they incorperate an extra gusset that appears to be missing by the speaker in your pic. It's all DOM tubing, too. I did a write up on my build last spring if you want to take a look see.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...-pics-1018370/

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 11:25 AM   #10
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I would avoid ANY kit that simply bolts to the firewall by the speakers. It has to come to the floor by your feet or it is just plain dangerous.

I saw a video about 5 years ago...rockworm may have the link...a guy rolled and he had the cage linked only to the firewall and the roll sheered off the bolts and the cage collapsed on the driver. His was an ORFAB.

The cage picture in post 8 is the kind I am talking about. you can see how it only bolts to the firewall and not to the floor. I would not want to be in that Jeep with that cage when it rolled.

In post 1 you can see that the cage ties into the front floor board. And by the way OP...the cage worked!

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #11
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ready to bolt into your YJ....

YJ Roll Cage - USED

Previous Jeeps:
'83 CJ7
'92 YJ
'00 XJ
'99 TJ
'05 TJ Rubicon
19OlllllllO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #12
AnonymousD
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Since we are on the topic, I have a question. I see the bars that go to the windshield then down to the dash/floor, and some have the part that bolts to the top corners of the windshield, and some dont. Do you need to have that part on?
AnonymousD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #13
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That M.O.R.E. kit looks like a good deal and accomplishes what you are looking to do. For a couple hundred bucks, that's hard to beat for a bolt in product. I'd want the frame tie-in's as well, wouldn't be difficult to find someone to weld those on.

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Ro..._hardware_.htm

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Ro..._for_CJ_YJ.htm
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #14
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would say that the stock cage will do its job in a reasonable crash; otherwise Jeep would have not wasted their time putting it there. I have heard of people adding a cross brace to the back of the family bars to stop the passenger loops from folding in. Will an aftermarket bolt on cage really hold up any better than the stock one? The week point is the bolts not the cage. I would not spend money on another bolt on cage; if you want more protection tie it into the frame. If you had the sports cage like me and were driving normally with a person in the back I would recommend upgrading to at least a family cage like you have, but the family cage will do its job if the passengers are properly secured.

Rolled 5 times it is a TJ but has the same cage as your jeep. Looks bad but everyone walked away.

yj with family cage rolled 2 times

YJ roll at highway speed
baritone_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 10:00 PM   #15
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler View Post
I saw a video about 5 years ago...rockworm may have the link...a guy rolled and he had the cage linked only to the firewall and the roll sheered off the bolts and the cage collapsed on the driver. His was an ORFAB.
I don't have the link, but that was Zman's over on JU. That was by far one of my fav. videos to watch over and over... especially where Z stuck his foot out like it was gonna stop the roll! I think everyone had a good laugh with that one.
But it did show the inherent weakness of that design, and IIRC, the main culprit was the A pillar bending/collapsing darn near in half where the 'ORFAB' was lazer cut into the side. The ORFAB kit at that time did'nt use any kind of reinforcement in that area as does the PSC system, not to mention floor tie in issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.