Roll Bar Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Roll Bar Question

Black Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 12-21-2001, 05:21 PM   #1
Johnny'sJeepen

Roll Bar Question

Ok on my 89 YJ the Roll bar is loose above my door. The torque bit that fits it looks like there is a saftey on it cause it has a strange pattern on the bit. It looks like another piece of metal comming through the center of the bit. Any ideas how i can tighten this up, so the bar will stop rattling?
Thanks

Johnny'sJeepen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2001, 05:42 PM   #2
IBjeepN4mud

That will take a special tool that you can buy from the dealer. OR you can buy a plane one and drill a hole in the center.
4th jeep ??????????? Still looking
IBjeepN4mud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2001, 03:21 PM   #3
bob91yj

The bit you need is a tamper proof torx bit. They are available at other places besides the dealer. Check local tool stores.
Unread 12-27-2001, 10:05 AM   #4
Kev
Master of the Obvious

I had the same problem. I tried drilling a bit out and it didn't work too well; the metal was very hard. I ended up buying a torx set from Quadratec that includes most of the torx that you will need to work on the Jeep. If you don't have very many torx already, I'd recommend it.

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2001, 05:13 PM   #5
Bob K

I made mine removable by filing two sides of the bolt head flat and parallel. It is now easy to remove with an adjustable wrench.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2001, 12:36 PM   #6
Johnny'sJeepen

Everyone, Thanks for the advice. I got the screw tightened by using a tamperpoof Torx bit, which i got at a local tool shop. Appreciate the help. Happy Jeepin
Johnny'sJeepen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.