Which Roll Bar? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Which Roll Bar?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 06-22-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
bpete123
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Which Roll Bar?

I was thinking of getting a different roll bar for my YJ. I have a Family style one currently. The following pictures are the two I would like and the oen I currently Have. Please let me know if it would be stupid of me to get rid of the one i have. I really like the look of the other ones better, especially the first one. it has that old school feel that I really like. i know mine is probably safer but I would like to know if it is that much safer that i should stick with it. Also I can probably get more money for my current one if I sell it than it would cost to buy either of the other ones.

bpete123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
bpete123
1992 YJ Wrangler 

This is the kind I am looking to get.
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
bpete123
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Possibly even this one but I would prefer the first one
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
bpete123
1992 YJ Wrangler 

And this final picture is my Jeep with it's current roll bar
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

They're the same thing. The spreader bars are removable even on your family style bar.

Usually more protection is better but while you're at it, just adios the whole thing. Are you not planning for passengers in the back? They'll have to find a new way to buckle up if you do swap these roll bars
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
bpete123
1992 YJ Wrangler 

well i cant adios the whole thing. i need some kind of protection. And yes probably thinking of keeping passengers in the back. I am already trying to think of ways to fab up something for the seatbelts
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
TrailersPlus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That's a CJ style bar (on a CJ).

I suppose if you wanted to - you could swap to the earlier year YJ Sport Bar & remove the front bars that attach to the upper windshield corners. Not sure if its legal or not, so you may want to look into that.

In case you are wondering about whether or not the windshield would vibrate more while driving down the road & the front bars removed - on mine it doesn't seem to very much. I no longer have the front bars attached to the windshield ever since I changed the cage design.
TrailersPlus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
4x4JB
1991 YJ Wrangler 

To bad your so far away... I am wanting to swap my sport bar for a family bar. On my sport bar set up you only have lap belts. Not sure how you could get a regular one to work but I'm sure it's possible.
4x4JB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 01:11 AM   #9
RattyYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

when i first got my yj i wanted to swap to the older cage style also, but the family bar has sort of grown on me. right now im putting aside money (and projects that are probably wayyy more important) to buy the blue torch fab front cage add on. im planning on using the same spreader bar bolt situation to match it to the existing cage instead of welding, so that if the opportunity comes about to buy an older one, i can hopefully swap my back half out for the older one. BUT, as antican said, you lose the shoulder belts for the rear. i guess you could use a lapbelt situation, but theres a reason they call those old rollbars 'kidcrushers'. itd look awesome (and be relatively safe) if you had no back seat. thats one of my goals at least.
RattyYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #10
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Keep the family bar, its what all sport bars aspire to be.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
redrubi03
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i can't understand why anybody would switch from a family style 4 point to a 4 point with a single hoop? jeeps are unsafe in stock fashion and add in the big tires and lifts we all do they become more unstable. i don't feel safe in a jeep if i don't have at least 4 point harnesses and a full 6 point, reinforced, triangulated cage.

yes i like old school stuff too and think it looks cool but i am of the form follows function mentality and if its not guna save my life it isn't good enough for me.

but i guess if you think it looks better...?

not trying to be a jerk or anything i just want people to be safe.
Unread 06-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrubi03 View Post
i can't understand why anybody would switch from a family style 4 point to a 4 point with a single hoop? jeeps are unsafe in stock fashion and add in the big tires and lifts we all do they become more unstable. i don't feel safe in a jeep if i don't have at least 4 point harnesses and a full 6 point, reinforced, triangulated cage.

yes i like old school stuff too and think it looks cool but i am of the form follows function mentality and if its not guna save my life it isn't good enough for me.

but i guess if you think it looks better...?

not trying to be a jerk or anything i just want people to be safe.
IMHO, not everyone uses their Jeep in a manner that requires a cage. For most the stock roll bar is sufficient protection for light trail riding and there are varying degrees of add ons are available for the stock roll bar to increase protection.

A 6 point tied-to-the-frame cage is never a bad idea, but isn't necessary for all let alone required equipment for most.

For what its worth, I'm of the opinion the old sport bar is actually a better design for those only using the front two seats. Far from accurate for those utilizing the back seat, however.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #13
c_coops
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Whatever you end up doing, keep the spreader bars. They keep the windshield from coming down in your face in a roll over. A lot of people ate glass in those CJ's before they decided to add them.
c_coops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
jeep , roll bar , roll cage , wranger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.