Rod knock...crate engine recommendations? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rod knock...crate engine recommendations?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 11-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
mike240
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Rod knock...crate engine recommendations?

I need to replace my 258/4.2 carb motor in 90 Wrangler. Would like to know some experiences with those that have bought rebuilt crate motors. Rhino wants $1841, how are they? 4wd.com sells ATKs but I know nothing of them either.

any experiences would be helpful. I do not want to V8 it or put in other crazy mods. It ran great for 112k all original and that would fine for another 112K.

Thanks

mike240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
UnderPar
1987 YJ Wrangler 

ATK's are some of the best and come with a good waranty.
2009 - A4
UnderPar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike240 View Post
I need to replace my 258/4.2 carb motor in 90 Wrangler. Would like to know some experiences with those that have bought rebuilt crate motors. Rhino wants $1841, how are they? 4wd.com sells ATKs but I know nothing of them either.

any experiences would be helpful. I do not want to V8 it or put in other crazy mods. It ran great for 112k all original and that would fine for another 112K.

Thanks
Is it a rod knock or piston slap that you are hearing? What is your oil pressure (hot)? If it is good when the engine is hot you may not have excess clearances in the bearings, but piston slap caused by poor clearances in the wrist pin area of the pistons. If you do not do high rev driving and it is piston slap that motor might have a bunch of miles left in it.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
mike240
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Took it in to a shop for diagnostic due to irratic ocassional high reving. They said that was the Evap canister and EGR valve but they also said two rods knocking. The noise is only heard above 2000 rpm. I usually shift before then and have not noticed it. Oil Pressure is about 15 when hot.
mike240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike240 View Post
.. Oil Pressure is about 15 when hot.
At idle or at 2 - 3k ??
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Ridin' topless again .. sweet !!
Wif is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.