rod bearing disaster - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rod bearing disaster

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I think i'll try to combine the two solutions. I'll replace the crank with a reman from autozone. they come with matched bearings. I'll buy a six banger motor and rebuild it this summer.
Oh...Que/louie...btw...my gf and her twin sister just posed for playboy....hah...i love my life.

thansk for all the help and insight guys.

riverhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #17
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverhippy View Post
Oh...Que/louie...btw...my gf and her twin sister just posed for playboy....hah...i love my life.
I would have the motor purring within a week with that kind of incentive(s).

Was there a pun in there?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 05:40 AM   #18
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think i'll try to combine the two solutions. I'll replace the crank with a reman from autozone. they come with matched bearings. I'll buy a six banger motor and rebuild it this summer.

thansk for all the help and insight guys.
Pics or it Didnt happen. You can PM them to me so you dont get hit with the ban stick

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 06:04 AM   #19
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I am hearing blah blah blah Twins....blah blah blah....Playboy Bunnies! You know that we live pretty close by each other. Jobbie Nooners or maybe a trip to Putin Bay sounds like good road trips! The offer still stands; let me know if you need any help with the Jeep...or the twin sister
The lower crankshaft sounds like a plan. I remember you running the compression checks on the previous thread but I don't remember what you got but as long as they are fairly close then go for it and replace the crank. There is a place in Wyandotte called National Machined Engine(734) 281-6752. While the guy running it is ah....very unique, he is one of the best engine rebuilders in the state and the midwest. I can't recommend them enough. You might want to give him a call.
Also, like I posted Chris is a good guy to get in touch with if you are in a pinch and looking for anything as far as parts for your YJ.
Remember the 4.0l swap is a lot more then just an engine swap for us 4 angry squirrel owners. The rear end, trans, and motor mounts, and drive shafts need to be changed on the swap.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #20
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
I am hearing blah blah blah Twins....blah blah blah....Playboy Bunnies! You know that we live pretty close by each other. Jobbie Nooners or maybe a trip to Putin Bay sounds like good road trips! The offer still stands; let me know if you need any help with the Jeep...or the twin sister
The lower crankshaft sounds like a plan. I remember you running the compression checks on the previous thread but I don't remember what you got but as long as they are fairly close then go for it and replace the crank. There is a place in Wyandotte called National Machined Engine(734) 281-6752. While the guy running it is ah....very unique, he is one of the best engine rebuilders in the state and the midwest. I can't recommend them enough. You might want to give him a call.
Also, like I posted Chris is a good guy to get in touch with if you are in a pinch and looking for anything as far as parts for your YJ.
Remember the 4.0l swap is a lot more then just an engine swap for us 4 angry squirrel owners. The rear end, trans, and motor mounts, and drive shafts need to be changed on the swap.
yeah...the compression was decent....should i replace the piston rings or anything while i got out the crank??

I dont have my boat anymore...but if you got a ride we'd love to join you at the nooner...check my fb page for pics of the twins at the playboy shoot...nick majeske
Unread 03-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #21
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No, if your compression is good and you are just trying to get it by for now then do the bearings and crankshaft. Putting the 4.0L in it will be some work. If you get a good doner powertrain cheap it might be worth it but it will require a different trans and drive shaft as well as the motor. Keep an eye out for cherokee drive trins and if you are serious that guy chris has about anything you could possibly want or need. BTW FB friend request sent. I got to see the pics!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #22
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If anything, you have an excuse to swap in a 4.0 now.
Unread 03-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #23
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

avoiding a possible redisaster

this is one of the rod bearings that came with the crankshaft kit...is this gonna work?? or will it cause a problem?
rod-bearing2.jpg  
Unread 03-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #24
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It looks fine to me, what's the prob? they're suposed to stick out a bit before you put them in.
They make them slightly large so they "set" into the bearing bore when its all torqued back together.
Unread 03-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #25
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
It looks fine to me, what's the prob? they're suposed to stick out a bit before you put them in.
They make them slightly large so they "set" into the bearing bore when its all torqued back together.

thanks pete...i wasnt sure..two stuck out and two didnt....ive taken this thing apart a few times and would like to avoid doing it again...lol

im a neophyte with this big of repairs so im relying on my brothers in jeepland for their input...
Unread 03-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #26
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
thanks pete...i wasnt sure..two stuck out and two didnt....ive taken this thing apart a few times and would like to avoid doing it again...lol

im a neophyte with this big of repairs so im relying on my brothers in jeepland for their input...
OK lemme clarify.. each half that sticks out, is supposed to go with a half that doesn't stick out. Hope that helps!
Unread 03-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #27
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Check all the bearing clearances with plastigauge before you button it up and put the pan on.matched sets of bearings to the crank when sold doesn't really mean anything.Final check of clearance is done after assembly.Its a common practice in quality machine and engine work.If the pans still off you really should find out what your finished assembly tolerances are.sounds like your close to the end.
40dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crank shaft , hot chick , rod bearings , sex drugs rock and roll , tits

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.