Rockcrawling YJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rockcrawling YJ Build

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-16-2012, 06:36 AM   #1
Pawjob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Rockcrawling YJ Build

So I'm new to this forum so I thought I might add my build. Just to say HI and give others ideas on what to do to there YJ's. I built this with the intent of rocks and trails so heres the specs

History - Bought this jeep for 1700$ with only 106k miles even had a nice hard top and full doors. It was a in a wreck hit a rock at 50 mph. Frame was bent and needed new front fenders. Picked up a frame from a 95 2.5L YJ for 100$ and swapped everything over

Lift - +1.5in SOA using Rubicon Express springs and custom perches. Top that all off with Rancho 9000xl shocks. I wouldn't recommend them the shock body is way to fat and after 4 trips they are dented bad from the leaf spring plates. I will be replacing them soon haven't decided with what yet.

Tires - I picked up a set of 37 12.50 17R Goodyear MT/R's on MB72 black alloy wheels.

Steering - Tera flex front passenger knuckle. Built my own tie rod bar used 44in length of 1.5in molly tubing and Tera Flex tie road ends. Used the stock YJ drag link just cut it and sleeved it length.

Drivetrain - Stock 4.0l with AX-15 trans, Stak 4x4 3 speed mini monster box. 2.97:1 low and 5.22:1 Low. I would not recommend a Stak case for anyone. Company was horrible to work with, pops out of gear often. Kept the Dana 30 up front and added 30 spline molly axles with Eton electric lockers with 4.56 gears. Rear used a Dana 44 out of a 87 XJ and top that off with molly axles, Eton locker, 4.56 gears and disc brakes off of a ford 8.8.

Interior - I used the Smittybuilt seats and hurculined the whole inside. Makes easy to wash up.

Exterior - I built custom front and rear bumpers out of 5"x2"x1/4" HSS and in the front used a harbor freight winch plate to mount a warn 9.5ti winch. New bumpers are being build soon. Installed Metalcloak front arched fenders, rear corner guards, rocker armor and 6 in flares.

Ditch the hard top too hard to get on and off. So I replaced it with Rampage frameless soft top. Its a very good top would recommend it.

So it begins

Got a 982 on the RTI ramp just little more to get 1K

Looking sexy at Moab

Couple local trail pics

Thanks for reading hope this gives you ideas

Pawjob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
Eron
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice looking build. Hope to get to that level soon. Thanks for sharing.
Eron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The yj looks great?? Where about do you live? The one pics looks a lot like walker valley, which is 40 mins from my house!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Pawjob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I live in Longview, most bottom pic is from Tillamook State forest on a trail called Canopener. The one up from that is Elbe Hills on the Busy Wilds trail.
Unread 10-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawjob
I live in Longview, most bottom pic is from Tillamook State forest on a trail called Canopener. The one up from that is Elbe Hills on the Busy Wilds trail.
Nice we should wheel together some time I live out in anacortes wa!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
Pawjob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Was thinking of an Elbe run Nov 17 I would camp up there 16th-18th
Unread 10-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
Eron
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
Nice we should wheel together some time I live out in anacortes wa!
And im right over in Port Townsend. Nice to know there are a lot of you guys around......
Eron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawjob View Post

Lift - +1.5in SOA using Rubicon Express springs and custom perches. Top that all off with Rancho 9000xl shocks. I wouldn't recommend them the shock body is way to fat and after 4 trips they are dented bad from the leaf spring plates. I will be replacing them soon haven't decided with what yet.

Tires - I picked up a set of 37 12.50 17R Goodyear MT/R's on MB72 black alloy wheels.

I would not recommend a Stak case for anyone. Company was horrible to work with, pops out of gear often.

Kept the Dana 30 up front and added 30 spline molly axles with Eton electric lockers with 4.56 gears. Rear used a Dana 44 out of a 87 XJ and top that off with molly axles, Eton locker, 4.56 gears and disc brakes off of a ford 8.8.
A few questions, maybe some pics will help me understand.

If yout shocks are rubbing on something, why not move the mounting points to a better spot. I was a show recently with a Ranchos' on display. I don't recall them having a larger body than any other long travel shock. Correct me if I am wrong or maybe we can help you mount them in a better place.

1.5+ SOA is a lot of lift with 37's and no stretch. How stable is that? I know on 35's and 3.5" of lift my jeep was unstable at steep angles. I see your front coming up a bit there. Have you been in other jeeps where you could compare the stability? Seems like to tall of a tire on a big SOA lift for the wheel base. IMO you would gain functionality by adding a few inches.

I have heard many people say those same things about stac... wont stay in gear, etc..

Do you have any trouble breaking axles or u-joints?
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

regular shock cans getting dented is a common thing with yjs and factory mounts. if you go with a monotube shock in the "can-up" orientation you wont have problems with that. you really need to build new shock mounting points front and back to take advantage of your soa. its never done.
Unread 10-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
Pawjob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Shocks are in stock location working on moving them soon not whole lot of room up front. The Rancho 9000xl are alot bigger then a normal mono tube. It feels stable haven't really had any issues with stability other then very steep climbs if thats the case Ill suck the front end down. As for U joints im running standard YJ 1310 joints and the large wheel joints that you would find in the TJ Rubicon Dana 44 and have not broke any. Im easy on the skinny pedal.

Not full flex but you can kinda see whats going on
Unread 10-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #11
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Shocks are in stock location working on moving them soon not whole lot of room up front. The Rancho 9000xl are alot bigger then a normal mono tube. It feels stable haven't really had any issues with stability other then very steep climbs if thats the case Ill suck the front end down. As for U joints im running standard YJ 1310 joints and the large wheel joints that you would find in the TJ Rubicon Dana 44 and have not broke any. Im easy on the skinny pedal.

Not full flex but you can kinda see whats going on
how is your suck down set up? this is something I would love to talk about. you don't see it on leafs very often at all. I understand that is because they don't unload. watching my roll video I think it would have helped me.
Unread 10-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #12
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

BTW that bumper looks HUGE... oddly big and its denfinately in the way for a rock crawler. Most rock crawlers would have a short bumper, the frame width so the tires can climb. That thing would get in the way basically everywhere I went.

Cut it down. Not only will that get int he way, it looks like your jeep has a monster 'stache

Unread 10-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
Pawjob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

When I first built the Jeep I built it for trails. The bumper was built to protect the stock fenders. Im planning on build a stubby bumper but I'm waiting for my welder to get back from the repair shop.

My suck down method is just two ratchet straps frame to axle tube by the perch

1993 Wrangler, Rock Smashing Jeep, and November 2012 YJOTM... [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rockcrawling-yj-build-1428039/"]YJ Build[/URL]
1.5" SOA, Stak 3 speed Tcase, 37" Swamper M16's...ALOTS of extras
Unread 10-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just to say HI and give others ideas on what to do to there YJ's.

Thanks for reading hope this gives you ideas
Quote:
t feels stable haven't really had any issues with stability other then very steep climbs if thats the case Ill suck the front end down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
how is your suck down set up? this is something I would love to talk about. you don't see it on leafs very often at all. I understand that is because they don't unload. watching my roll video I think it would have helped me.
Quote:
My suck down method is just two ratchet straps frame to axle tube by the perch
I have never heard of that. I think if I saw someone strapping down before a climb I would not want to wheel with them. between the waiting time and me wonder what else was not set up properly for the trails we were on.... I'd bail.

To other members, Don't get any idea's. 37's are tall with 1.5" SOA on a stock wheelbase. Your proof is in this thread. If you need to pull it down with straps to run the trails, you are not set up for the trails.
Unread 10-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
Pawjob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I dont strap it down all the time. I did once after an attempt of a steep hill climb. I tried it didn't work still too steep for my short wheel base. Stability has never been an issue.

1993 Wrangler, Rock Smashing Jeep, and November 2012 YJOTM... [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rockcrawling-yj-build-1428039/"]YJ Build[/URL]
1.5" SOA, Stak 3 speed Tcase, 37" Swamper M16's...ALOTS of extras

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.