Rock and an expensive place - rear axle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rock and an expensive place - rear axle

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Rock and an expensive place - rear axle

My dana 35 is in bad shape. I pulled the inspection cover tonight and found chunks of metal in the diff. I have sua with a 4" lift. since its probably not worth rebuilding a d35, I think I want to go to an 8.8 or 9". I think I should take the opportunity to soa, but then I would probably have to swap springs too. Does anyone know of a good thread on going 8.8 and getting the ride height right?

Thanks,
D

Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Why not just find a replacement Dana 35 to putt around in the meantime and work on the 8.8 as a long term project?
Unread 07-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
My dana 35 is in bad shape. I pulled the inspection cover tonight and found chunks of metal in the diff. I have sua with a 4" lift. since its probably not worth rebuilding a d35, I think I want to go to an 8.8 or 9". I think I should take the opportunity to soa, but then I would probably have to swap springs too. Does anyone know of a good thread on going 8.8 and getting the ride height right?

Thanks,
D
8.8 will be the ticket. Do a search here on JF and you'll find more than enough info. There is a LOT that goes into SOA. More than the axle swap. Honestly for the yj it really is as simple as cutting off the stock perches and shock mounts, welding on the new ones, slapping it under the rig, and hooking up the brake lines.

As far as ride height goes, the 8.8 will take about 1/2" out of the lift of your ride height which can easily be remedy with a new set of shackles.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Why not just find a replacement Dana 35 to putt around in the meantime and work on the 8.8 as a long term project?
Wow never thought I would ever see you recommending spending money on a 35!

Where abouts do you live? I have my d35 laying around in the bone pile....if you're not too far its yours!

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm a fan of taking the time to do it right and if a replacement Dana 35 buys time then so be it.
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #6
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticanman View Post
i'm a fan of taking the time to do it right and if a replacement dana 35 buys time then so be it.
a-friggin-men!!!

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

How did the gears look? If there alright I would just run it until it pukes. You could buy the axle you want straight away. Get er ready to drop in. Then when the time comes get the springs you want and have at it!

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I see two options for you at this point if saving money and doing a full soa build is outta the question:

1: you can get replacement d35's for 50 bucks, just swap the whole axle and it'll bolt right up.

2: get an 8.8 from a junkyard and put it in sua without changing anything else (no sye) besides still having to re-weld the perches and shock mounts, and regearing it depending on your stock gearing and what you can find

Those are the budget options. If you want to do a soa build then go for it!
Unread 08-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies guys. I picked up an 8.8 from the salvage yard (open) with crummy 3.55. The front d30 and ate up (carrier is eaten alive) d35 are 4.11. I like the ride of the 4.11 with 33" TSLs. I will probably go 35" at most in some aggressive situations. I don't have the $$$ to do the xj or ranger 5" stretch. I would like to do a 2" stretch (rear only for the moment) and go SOA. I have the 3.5" fabtech on there now. I'm going to regear and do SYE with a woods cv (but I only want to do it once).

Question is: does RE or OME have a 44" spring with a 23" offset to center pin that I can swap in for SOA with the 8.8 that would put me level with a 3.5" fabtech front?

D
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:38 AM   #10
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just to be curious, why did you pick up an 8.8 with 3.55s when 4.10s are fairly easy to find? I was able to find close to 10 different 8.8s with 4.10 gearing within 150 miles, ranging from $150-300 each.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #11
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf
Thanks for the replies guys. I picked up an 8.8 from the salvage yard (open) with crummy 3.55. The front d30 and ate up (carrier is eaten alive) d35 are 4.11.
D
It will cost you at least 1k to make just those gears changes. Why would you want to do that ?
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Couldn't find any 8.8 with 4.10 gears in my area for this price. I didn't think it would cost 1k. I've set backlash on d44 and 14 bolts before. I figure its $150 for gears. I'll add a locker of some sort at the same time. Still trying to figure out which I'm going to go with the locker decision. Any idea on springs? I've chopped ranger bastard packs before and I would rather go re or ome if I can for soa.
Unread 08-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #13
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
Couldn't find any 8.8 with 4.10 gears in my area for this price. I didn't think it would cost 1k. I've set backlash on d44 and 14 bolts before. I figure its $150 for gears. I'll add a locker of some sort at the same time. Still trying to figure out which I'm going to go with the locker decision. Any idea on springs? I've chopped ranger bastard packs before and I would rather go re or ome if I can for soa.
No, you won't, the 4:10's are more expensive. That's because it is the one more popular with the aftermarket. And Ford made fewer.
I paid 3 for mine, limited slip, 4:10's, and wish I would have gone open, for the lunchbox locker reason. That's ok. I went full case locker, ARB. THE right decision.
Then got a front axle off a '92 Yj with a 4 banger and 4:11 gears for a hundred.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #14
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you're gonna change out the gears, might as well upgrade to the ARB. Its worth the money to install a full carrier locker.
Unread 08-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Air locker? I was thinking more along e-locker lines. Less expensive and simpler to install/maintain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.