Road test update - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Road test update

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-05-2003, 08:19 AM   #1
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Road test update

Well - in the quest to find a way to create a smoother riding Jeep - one that doesn't shake every filling loose in your mouth, I have removed my shocks.

Currently - no sway-bars, no track-bars, no shocks - only a set of springs between the frame and axle.

The ride is fairly smooth - but there is a bit of residual shake when hitting large bumps at highway speeds. At times it feels like the Jeep is going to go out of control, but hasn't in the last 3 days.

While the shocks were off - a quick RTI test showed a score of 843 - but the limiting factor was not a raised tire, but my bushwacker flares being crunched by my mini-tires (35" MT's). While my Jeep was all twisted out, a few measurements were taken for new shocks.

The idea of a set of Rancho 9000 shocks is going through my head - but with a best price of $129 per shock, it might be out of my league for a few more months. Considering a set of $20 shocks to sit between my frame and axle for the short-term.

• Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2003, 11:52 AM   #2
LoOpY

35s? you must be preparing for snowfall, LoL. Keep us posted on what you do. Just outta curiousity Naekid, is that thing your DD? when you go wheeling, is it a trailer queen or do you drive it there and back?
LoOpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2003, 12:18 PM   #3
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Loopy,

The only kind of trailering that my Jeep is involved in is towing my camping trailer or my boat trailer. My Jeep has never been on a trailer being towed for as long as I have owned it. It has been on the back of tow-trucks - but that was after it was damaged.

My Jeep is my Daily Driver - I use it to goto the movies, for groceries, fresh BBQ gas ... and on all the trails that I can find.

I put my hard-top and hard-doors on with my little 35" tires to prepare for winter time again. The evenings were getting a little chilly driving on the highways (65mph and higher) at mid-night (between 2 to 4 degrees over freezing). Also, I drove my Jeep 8hrs over 3 mountain passes for my Dad's wedding that happened Sept 13. I then drove 8hrs back to Calgary. Only 4 full tanks of gas for the entire round trip. I didn't want the power sucking 38" tires for that trip.

Unread 10-05-2003, 02:46 PM   #4
Jay Blanton

Got a question. If I take my shocks off, do you think that the axle wrap problem I have now will be increased? I still want to do a SOA for the lift. But for the search for a better ride in our YJ's, I was wondering about doing this deal until funds become available.

Thanx Jay
9000lb Superwinch
Pioneer CD 1000w amp. w/ 2 12's (Thumper)
Rhino Lined

"Can't Drive It, Don't Buy It."

Jay Blanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2003, 04:08 PM   #5
Moxley

Talk about a ball-busting ride! As you guys know the shocks for the most part are the main thing controlling the axle down travel and when you go over a bump, your Jeep is going to slam down pretty hard. I ran without shocks once and damn near lost control everytime I went over a bridge. The rear end would slam down so hard the entire Jeep would bounch around the road. Good luck with your testing NaeKid and keep us posted.

Later,
Doug
[color=darkred][b]My Jeep:[/b][/color]
[url]http://members.myactv.net/~douglas.moxley/jeep.jpg[/url]

"A high IQ is like a Jeep; you will still get stuck, just farther from help"
Moxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2003, 10:51 PM   #6
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well, my testing has concluded with a final highway run at 65mph (and higher) for 45 minutes one way.

Once I reached my friends place (where 1/2 my tools are located) I then swapped in a new set of shocks.

Measured my flex numbers and found that a set of stock YJ shocks would work on the front and a set of 1994 Dodge Ram 1/2ton shocks would work on the rear end.

I find the ride from the front-end is fairly good - a little jumpy at times, but controllable.

The rear-end the shocks seem to be a little stiff for the weight of my Jeep, so I will check out another set of shocks.

Will update again later after more testing.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.